Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spin-off of the homeschooling post

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:28 AM
  • 7 Replies

So,I was reading the homeschooling post & had a question,but I didn't want to hijack the post,so I made a new one.LOL

Anyway,my question is,how much does homeschooling cost per child?Like,the curriculum,supplies,etc.Even a ballpark figure would be great!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
anziomom
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:50 AM

This is something I am also curious about...BUMP

CARA2008
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:52 AM

It depends on the curriculum. We do K12 and the school supplies all our supplies down to the computer my son uses. But I have looked else where and have seen some curriculum about $1500 for the first child and $1000 for the second.

momaof8
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Not that much if you shop wisely and homeschoolers tend to swap curriculums and have sales between each other on text books ect.

Check out my book http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Yes-They-Are-All-Mine/Linda-Dyson/e/9781438909295/?itm=3   You can help save lives check it out !

reading

roni1022
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:03 AM

My very first year of homeschooling I went crazy and spent over $3000 between both children . over all these years I have found that I can do it for very little . There are many places on line that you can use for free . You can down load lesson plans , worksheets etc. You can buy workbooks for very little money . many places offer discounts to homeschoolers like borders, barnes & noble, etc. .You can also shop at used curriculum sales etc. You would be surprised what you can find at yard sales and places like goodwill.

ribblettmommy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:08 AM

My MIL spent like $800 just on books and dvds alone.  She then had to pay to have my SIL's tests graded with a local homeschooling association.  All in all, I'd say she probably spent close to $1200-1500 per semester for my SIL to be homeschooled.

m0m23b0ys458
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Thanks ladies!

acissejessica
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM

later years cost more, I think. I spent about 1000 dollars per child per year after elementry school. Elementry school seems cheeper, but it depends on what extent you go to, I mean, you could buy all the supplies a teacher would buy to have a full on classroom, and that could cost you, but you dont have to do that if you dont want to. You could join homeschooling groups here, or on yahoo, and freecycle in your area and use supplies other people used. Its not that big of a deal to do that, its jst that some of the books are updated often so you have a short period to reuse books.

I'm Slow

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)