• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toddler bed help

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:58 AM
  • 6 Replies

My dd is 19 months old and has been sleeping in her toddler bed for about a week now. She was sleeping thru the night wel, but she got a cold and would wake up in te night bc she couldn't breathe thru her nose. Dh and I would take her in bed with us unil she fell back to sleep then put her back in bed. Now she has become accustomed (sp?) to this and is waking up 1 or 2 times a night and wants to come to bed with us. I'm wondering if I should put her back in her crib for a while and not get her in the night (she can't get out of her crib)  until she gets used to sleeping thru the night again. When she gets up she wll stand in her crib not sure how long it will take her to get back to sleep dd is very stubborn. Does anyone have any suggestions? We're expecting our 2nd dd in July and I want Sammy to be sleeping thru the night again when her sister comes. Please help!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Greys_mama
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:51 AM

My suggestions is to keep putting her into her own bed - do not put her in your bed anymore.  Its going to be a rought couple nights, but it will work. Just explain to her that she has a big girl bed and thats where she sleeps.  Also, next time shes sick, to keep this from happening again, I wouldn't put her in your bed again.  Hope everything works out.

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
'Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.' - Dr. Suess

p88hbear
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:57 AM

I had the same challenge with my Sami and we were able to break her of it in about a week - don't worry, my Sami is stubborn like a mule so if it worked on her, I'm betting it might work on your Sammy!

She would wake up in the middle of the night and show up at our door, creep in and then ask if she could get in bed with us.  We would get up and march her back to bed, tuck her in and go back to bed.  Sometimes we would have to do this 4 or 5 times a night.  Now, I am sure you wondering why we didn't put up a baby gate - we let the baby gates go by the time she was 1 because she had figured out how to remove them all, the joys of a gifted child.

This wake up routine went on for about a week or so before she figured we weren't caving in to her and then it just stopped.  We also took the time to tell her each night before she went to sleep that she was going to stay in her big girl bed all night.  Soon she was telling us that she was going to stay in bed all night like a big girl - baby reverse psychology.. lol.

Oh, and the next time she gets a sniffly nose - the Vicks vapor things that go in the outlet work wonders.  We also would hold her and rock her in a chair so we didn't have to "unbreak" the bed routine again.

I hope this helps.  Good luck!!

MommyToEthan
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:03 AM

my son is 2 1/2 and he did the same thing a few weeks after we put him in a toddler bed.  i wouldn't put her back in a crib.    everytime she gets up, just put her back in her bed.  we did this with my son and a week or so, it stopped.   just hang in there.  it's a phase and it will stop soon.   good luck!

GOBryan
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Join the crowd.. My 4.5 year old son got sick one night and we did the same thing. Now it's been months and a battle to get him to sleep in his bed again. 

Even if we accomplish getting him in his bed, he'll wake up and night and end up in ours.

What we do with my 3.5 year old daughter is that we have a gate on her doorway so she can't leave her room at night, so she goes back to sleep.  

missy_J79
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:42 PM

yes just keep placing her in her own bed, be constant.. also do you have a humidifier? we had to get one for our sons room & he and his baby brother sleep better now (no more dry air)

Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
My heart just melts when i'm bfeeding my son, and he gives me that ear-to-ear "now this is the life" milky smile. *Melissa* Mom of 3 beautiful children!
eaglemama2
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:38 PM

agreed.   if my kids are stuffed up, I buy those vapor things, that you plug into the wall - its a plug with vapor refills of sorts, smells like mentholatum in their rooms.   It's nice, helps them be comfortable.  Dont forget you are in charge, not your kid.

Quoting Greys_mama:

My suggestions is to keep putting her into her own bed - do not put her in your bed anymore.  Its going to be a rought couple nights, but it will work. Just explain to her that she has a big girl bed and thats where she sleeps.  Also, next time shes sick, to keep this from happening again, I wouldn't put her in your bed again.  Hope everything works out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)