Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about breastpumping...

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:35 AM
  • 22 Replies
i dont want to breastfeed but i do want to breastpump so he can still get breastmilk. i was wondering when i start breastpumping, at the hospital after i have him or will i have to breastfeed him at the hospital first?

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acissejessica
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:44 AM

At the hospital they will try to get the baby to latch, I think that process helps your milk come in, so I think you should try to start at the hospital. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I thought feeding was easier and less painful than pumping.

I'm Slow

shelbysunflower
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:11 PM
aw, you probably werent doing anything wrong, maybe just sensitive to the pump?

but thanks, ive been wanting to ask my OB this question the past 4 times ive visited but i always forget.

Quoting acissejessica:

At the hospital they will try to get the baby to latch, I think that process helps your milk come in, so I think you should try to start at the hospital. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I thought feeding was easier and less painful than pumping.

eaglemama2
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:16 PM

I am not exactly too sure, I supplemented breast with formula from day one.   I was always worried that my baby was not getting enough food, its kinda hard to tell when you dont have a measure on your boob LOL

I did take a herbal supplement that increases your milk production and for the life of me I cannot remember, I do remember pumping like crazy with it - LOL

breastfeeding and feeding baby

Momsince1106
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:18 PM

you can pump at the hospital... my hospital had a pump that i could use, and then i bought a pump from their pharmacy at cost (so cheaper than at the regular store... saved like 80 bucks or more) to bring home. It was a Medela pump, so it worked good.

may i ask why you dont want to actually BF? Not bashing, just wondered.

Momsince1106
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Write down questions when you think of them, and bring the list with you

Quoting shelbysunflower:

aw, you probably werent doing anything wrong, maybe just sensitive to the pump?

but thanks, ive been wanting to ask my OB this question the past 4 times ive visited but i always forget.

Quoting acissejessica:

shelbysunflower
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:22 PM

yeah i was planning on renting a medela pump but the hospitals in my area dont do that anymore so i will have to buy one.

my house is a little crazy, people just kinda barge in whenever they please and i like my privacy, especially when its my 15 year old brothers friends, i dont want them or anyone else walking in on me. plus it will just be easier when i start my senior year in the fall. it also, to me at least, would just feel awkward.

Quoting Momsince1106:

you can pump at the hospital... my hospital had a pump that i could use, and then i bought a pump from their pharmacy at cost (so cheaper than at the regular store... saved like 80 bucks or more) to bring home. It was a Medela pump, so it worked good.

Momsince1106
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:26 PM

oh, so you're a super young mom..... makes sense

my neighbor is in her mid 30's and just whips it out to feed her child.

If you have a lock on your door you can try to BF sometimes.... some people said that they couldn't pump but could BF really easily

Quoting shelbysunflower:

yeah i was planning on renting a medela pump but the hospitals in my area dont do that anymore so i will have to buy one.

my house is a little crazy, people just kinda barge in whenever they please and i like my privacy, especially when its my 15 year old brothers friends, i dont want them or anyone else walking in on me. plus it will just be easier when i start my senior year in the fall. it also, to me at least, would just feel awkward.

Quoting Momsince1106:

shelbysunflower
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:33 PM

yeah im only 17 ha. :) and i think i will try to breastfeed and learn how to use the pump just in case i find it hard to do in privacy or if it just feels uncomfortable.

Quoting Momsince1106:

oh, so you're a super young mom..... makes sense

my neighbor is in her mid 30's and just whips it out to feed her child.

If you have a lock on your door you can try to BF sometimes.... some people said that they couldn't pump but could BF really easily

Quoting shelbysunflower:

Quoting Momsince1106:

Philosowife
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:38 PM

If you're concerned about someone walking in on you, pumping is actually a lot more "exposed" than breastfeeding - you have to basically take your shirt entirely off and attach the flanges and stuff.  With nursing, you can use a cover.  I actually never used a cover, but I was always wearing tops that were easy to sort of drape over my son's face, and I wear nursing tanks so everything below my breasts is covered.  I've had people not realize he was nursing, and others comment on how discreet it was.

That said, if you want to exclusively pump, you'll want to pump every two hours around the clock from the time your baby is born.  You may at some point want to pump even more frequently than that (like, every hour) to mimic a growth spurt and increase your supply.

A pump is NEVER as efficient as a baby and some moms don't let down to a pump well, if at all.  So, if you're willing/able to start out with breastfeeding, the baby would stimulate milk production and start to establish your supply, and then you could switch over to pumping.

You're right - with school, you'll need to pump to leave milk for your baby.

I think you're really smart to start looking into pumping for your baby now.  I would encourage you to give nursing a try in the hospital, and maybe for a couple weeks once you're home, and then decide whether to switch to pumping full-time -- it'll just make pumping that much easier, and you may also find that you enjoy nursing (which, in my experience, is waaaaaay easier and more discreet than pumping! I pumped for my son for a couple weeks while we sorted out some breastfeeding issues.  I hated that pump, and felt like I was so exposed sitting in a chair with everything hanging out and being pulled into those plastic tubes!  Plus, it made it difficult to just hold and snuggle my baby).

You might want to check out the Exclusive Pumping board at iVillage as well.  You don't *have* to breastfeed even at the hospital, but it really would make things easier if you're really commited to giving him breastmilk exclusively or for any length of time.  It's also a lot easier to learn to nures laying down so you can sleep than it is to get up a few times in the night and pump for 20 minutes each time.

A note on pain while pumping - it's not normal, and it might mean you have the wrong size of flange (which has nothing at all to do with breast size, by the way).  There are other reasons it might hurt, but it really shouldn't hurt!!  It's not very comfortable, IME....but it shouldn't hurt.

shelbysunflower
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM

yeah i guess either way im gonna be exposed. i think i will start out breastfeeding at the hospital and then switch to a pump at home. another reason why is that my DF wants to be able to feed him too, and it'd be nice not being his only source of how he gets his milk. but thanks for all the tips, i know this is kind of a controversal thing but it really helps :)

Quoting Philosowife:

If you're concerned about someone walking in on you, pumping is actually a lot more "exposed" than breastfeeding - you have to basically take your shirt entirely off and attach the flanges and stuff.  With nursing, you can use a cover.  I actually never used a cover, but I was always wearing tops that were easy to sort of drape over my son's face, and I wear nursing tanks so everything below my breasts is covered.  I've had people not realize he was nursing, and others comment on how discreet it was.

That said, if you want to exclusively pump, you'll want to pump every two hours around the clock from the time your baby is born.  You may at some point want to pump even more frequently than that (like, every hour) to mimic a growth spurt and increase your supply.

A pump is NEVER as efficient as a baby and some moms don't let down to a pump well, if at all.  So, if you're willing/able to start out with breastfeeding, the baby would stimulate milk production and start to establish your supply, and then you could switch over to pumping.

You're right - with school, you'll need to pump to leave milk for your baby.

I think you're really smart to start looking into pumping for your baby now.  I would encourage you to give nursing a try in the hospital, and maybe for a couple weeks once you're home, and then decide whether to switch to pumping full-time -- it'll just make pumping that much easier, and you may also find that you enjoy nursing (which, in my experience, is waaaaaay easier and more discreet than pumping! I pumped for my son for a couple weeks while we sorted out some breastfeeding issues.  I hated that pump, and felt like I was so exposed sitting in a chair with everything hanging out and being pulled into those plastic tubes!  Plus, it made it difficult to just hold and snuggle my baby).

You might want to check out the Exclusive Pumping board at iVillage as well.  You don't *have* to breastfeed even at the hospital, but it really would make things easier if you're really commited to giving him breastmilk exclusively or for any length of time.  It's also a lot easier to learn to nures laying down so you can sleep than it is to get up a few times in the night and pump for 20 minutes each time.

A note on pain while pumping - it's not normal, and it might mean you have the wrong size of flange (which has nothing at all to do with breast size, by the way).  There are other reasons it might hurt, but it really shouldn't hurt!!  It's not very comfortable, IME....but it shouldn't hurt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)