Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you make friends???

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:52 PM
  • 8 Replies

Here is my problem I am a SAHM.  My DS is 2 1/2 years old.  My SO works full time on 2nd shift.  So during the day we have family time.  All of my friends live out of town or don't have kids and just don't understand the demands that kids put on you.  I have some family near me and spend a lot of time with them, but I need to make some friends with kids.  Someone who related to me!  I have joined playgroups - I'm not too sure about that.  One that I joined was all little babies (newborn up to 9 months while my DS was 18 months).  Plus they were snoty and not one of the moms introduced themselves to me.  They huddled in their group and talked with one another.  Not very welcome to new people, I guess.  So, how does everyone make new friends as an adult and mom????

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
'Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.' - Dr. Suess

by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KeriSparks
by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:58 PM

do you take your LO to the park, and library?

Kays_Mama06
by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:01 PM

I still live in the same area as I did growing up so everyone i went to HS with are still around.. lol..

I go to school full time as well so i have my adult interaction there.. I dont really need MORE friends.. Im good with whom I have in my life..

I know plenty of people but choose to keep only a handful close because lets face it.. People suck.

moma.BEAR
by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:48 PM

A park in our area has tiny tots (up to a year old) and then a toddler class that is up to 3 years old. Maybe you can check your recreation center or library near you. Have you noticed any neighbors by you? You can goggle playgroups in your area (like Yahoo groups etc..)

If you don't already...you can start a Cafemom group for your area. We have one in my area of about 400 so far.

I'm in the same exact situation. Even if you find playgroups in your area it is still kinda hard to find that connection with another Mother. It's like dating...hits and misses. lol

azn_ladie82
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:19 PM

All you can do is put urself out there. Join the groups here on CM that are in your town or nearby. I moved to Ohio in 2007 and I still don't have a good friend. I talk to my neighbor when I can and my kids loves their daughter but there's not much there. Our husbands work on the same shift too but still. I try to go searching here on CM and on Myspace but still no luck. It's like people don't want new friends..lol.

Are you a proud preemie mom of a NICUGRADUATE? Click on my NICU blinkie to meet other moms of preemies just like you.

marathon-mom
by on May. 25, 2009 at 9:48 AM

I think it's easier to make friends based on hobbies then on who is closest to your area or the fact that the other person has kids. Then hope there are some people in your area with the same hobbies as you.

I find a lot of friends through running. I even started a social network for running moms for this purpose: http://community.running-mom.com/.

Also you may start a cafe mom group or see if there is a cafe mom group of moms in your area. I joined a group like this and most of them we didn't have enough in common to become friends (being a fellow mother just doesn't seem to always be enough). However I did meet a couple of moms over a year of attending playdates, functions, posting in the forums etc. that totally made it worth the effort.

Good luck!

What area do you live in?

Love adventure?                Chat, Connect w/ Other Running Moms

HOME WORKOUTS          WWW.RUNNING-MOM.COM

moonstruk
by on May. 25, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Proverbs 18:24
A man [that hath] friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend [that] sticketh closer than a brother.
try going to church. even your little one will benifit and grow up with good friends. Churchs have classes with your age group and young mothers and you will make friends that will last a life time, give each other support, fellowship, guidence, it's the best place to make genuine friends. and you will make friends with your creator and Jesus- the Friend that sticks closer than a brother.
TAG2.0
by on May. 25, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Most of my friends are male, I met them through gaming tourneys and stuff. Some of them have kids so we do playdates.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 25, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Is there any newcomer groups in your area that cater to Mom's with small kids?  I belong to a group.  We are a 40 and over crowd with older kids or married kids, BUT there is another newcomer group that caters to younger Mom's and younger kids.  They also have activities for Mom's without their kids too like Mom's night out activities and meetings etc.  I move a lot and without newcomer clubs, I find it hard to meet people sometime.  check out http://www.newcomersclub.com/  or search for something in your area. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)