Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a religious post without drama?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:32 AM
  • 10 Replies

I was raised Catholic. I am not a fan of the Catholic church. I would like to start attending a church in the area, but I'm not sure what to expect at other places of worship. I know all are different, even if they are the same religion. But I am just curious, who do you pray to in your religion, do you have Sunday schools for kids? (Like we pray to Mary and the saints, take communion every week...We never had Sunday school in Catholic church, kids were expected to sit in a crying room during mass.)

So-what religion are you? What kind of activities and services does your "religion" practice. NO DRAMA needed--thanks!!

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NeColeMonet
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I was raised catholic, but I went to a very non traditional charismatic catholic church.  I now attend a non-denomenational church.  We have sunday school, wendesday bible study, we pray to God.  We don't pray to saints or Mary.  My church has a very contemporary feel.  You can come as you are.  Jeans, tee-shirts or suits and pantyhose.  What matters to my pastor is that you show up.  We have a praise dance ministry, a children's choir, a praise team.  Church is actually something I look foward to every week.

AKazz
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Quoting NeColeMonet:

I was raised catholic, but I went to a very non traditional charismatic catholic church.  I now attend a non-denomenational church.  We have sunday school, wendesday bible study, we pray to God.  We don't pray to saints or Mary.  My church has a very contemporary feel.  You can come as you are.  Jeans, tee-shirts or suits and pantyhose.  What matters to my pastor is that you show up.  We have a praise dance ministry, a children's choir, a praise team.  Church is actually something I look foward to every week.

I went to a boring, old, traditional Catholic church. I don't necessarily need to dance in church, but I'd like to feel something!

jillbailey26
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I attend a non-denominational church.  We pray to God through Jesus ("in Jesus name, we pray...Amen").  We don't have a typical "Sunday School" they have Children's Ministry, where the children go to their age appropriate classes while the parents are in church.  The older they get the more adjusted the learning of God, Jesus and the bible gets.

During our worship they start out by playing music, we have a band and they play more of the Contemporary Christian music.  We'll pray, the Pastor speaks, we'll pray, listen to more music and off we go...lol.  We're somewhat of a smaller church, so when the Pastor speaks, it's like he's speaking with you, not to you.  He jokes, we laugh, it's a good time.  We're not so tight and reformed.

~Jill~

lucky2bemom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I was raised Pentecostal and recently started going back because I want my son to have strong faith.  BUT I too don't so much like some things in our church and don't know where to go or what to do.  We pray direct dial if you will and are pretty hard core as religions go and that is not the part that bothers me because the Lord made the ultimate sacrifice but it is the little things  I guess.  Oh yeah and my DH is Catholic so he is bored outta his mind on Sunday mornings.  So if you all will post ur religions and what they entail you would be doing a great thing so many of us.

iluvmommyhood58
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:51 AM
I'm Catholic now but used to be Lutheran. We didn't have communion at every service, we didn't pray to Mary or saints, usually. The services varied by church and by the day. I'm sure you're familiar with you can pretty much go to any Catholic church and receive the same mass based on a calendar. Lutherans have holidays and a calendar too but they don't have a set format for the service like a particular response to a reading or something. Other denominations don't believe the same things about communion the Catholics do. Some, like Methodist, consider it to be just a symbol, not actually receiving body and blood... things like that.
AKazz
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I want the structure of the Cathoic Church without the stone aged rules! I want something contemporary, but not "bible thumping." (no offense!!) 

yaffamommy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Me and my hubby both were raised as Jehovah Witness. We both fell apart from it but we just recently started going again.I'm not sure what all to write so if you have any questions let me know.

We pray and worship God. We try to live completely by the Bible even though people slip and fall. We go door to door because we are supposed to follow in Jesus' foot steps. We don't celebrate any holidays each holiday for its own reasons. I'll be happy to explain why if you want. We don't have special classes for children they sit with us. I'm not sure what all to write but hope that helps some!

AKazz
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Quoting yaffamommy:

Me and my hubby both were raised as Jehovah Witness. We both fell apart from it but we just recently started going again.I'm not sure what all to write so if you have any questions let me know.

We pray and worship God. We try to live completely by the Bible even though people slip and fall. We go door to door because we are supposed to follow in Jesus' foot steps. We don't celebrate any holidays each holiday for its own reasons. I'll be happy to explain why if you want. We don't have special classes for children they sit with us. I'm not sure what all to write but hope that helps some!

My grandparents were Witnesses. Thank you!

kandibaby1030
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I am not Catholic, but I went to Catholic school all 12 years, so I always say I'm Catholic by default hehe.  Anyway, I have been to Old Regular Baptist, Southern Baptist, Regular Baptist, Pentecostal. Methodist, and Non-denom churches LOL!  So, I have seen a lot.  The church that I have regularly attended since I was very young is The Salvation Army.  I know most people don't really realize that it is a church, but it is.  They are Non-denom, kind of Protestant, but they have a lot of Methodist tendancies too.  Anyway it is very casual, and not over the top.  If you have one in your area, you may like it.  There is structure to the meetings, but it isn't boring.  Anyway, I know how hard it is to find a church, but just keep looking, you will find something you like!  And I know what you mean about the Catholic Church.  I, too, like the structure and the reverance, but there are a lot of things I don't agree with.  So, anyway, good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for!

Quoting AKazz:

I want the structure of the Cathoic Church without the stone aged rules! I want something contemporary, but not "bible thumping." (no offense!!) 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM

I was raised Baptist.  Mary isn't mentioned much except at Easter and Christmas.  Mary isn't a saint like  the Catholic church prays to.  Prayers are to God, Jesus etc. 

Sunday school is for adults as well as children.  My Mom taught Sunday school while my brother, Dad and I attended Sunday school.  We also had 2 weeks of Vacation Bible school every summer.  'My dh's family is Catholic.  We had a Baptist wedding.  We are not raising our kids in a church but they do know religion.  My 18 year old goes with friends some to church.  My 15 year old went to a school run by a Methodist church for 3 years so she got LOTS of religion those 3 years.  When they were little we used to visit the grandparents and they would go to Vacation Bible school as we would plan our visit the same time. 

Communion was once a month only those that were Baptised.  Baptising isn't until you were older.  You had a baby dedication as a baby.  I was Baptised when I was 10 and I decided on my own to be Baptised. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)