Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4-year-old Boy Crashes Family's Minivan - Do you think the parents should be charged?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:32 PM
  • 118 Replies

4-year-old Boy Crashes Family's Minivan

Monday, June 8, 2009

KPTV: A 4-year-old boy's brief joyride in his family's minivan came to an abrupt end when he crashed into a ditch Friday afternoon, fire officials said.

boycrashmini270.jpg

KPTV

The boy's mother told police that the 4-year-old used a stool to retrieve the keys off a key rack in their apartment. He then unlocked the van, started the vehicle and put the vehicle into drive, the mother said.

According to a witness, the boy accelerated the van and drove 100 feet before turning left into a ditch. The witness called 911 and helped the boy out of the van, fire officials said.

When Cowlitz County firefighters arrived, they found the back of the minivan sticking into the air with the rear wheel off the ground, said Capt. Mike Zainfeld in a press release.

The boy wasn't injured and the van sustained minimal damage, Zainfeld said. The crash occurred at about 3 p.m. on Corduroy Road.

Police said there was no property damaged during the boy's drive.

"I was pretty shocked that a 4-year-old managed to get into the van and ... drive up like that," said Davia Mase, who witnessed the van drive away.

There will be no citations issued against the parents. Police said the embarrassment of the incident was punishment enough.

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JBIRDSLADIE
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:35 PM

No

justinejoy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:35 PM

They should have to pay a fine - god forbid at 3pm if there had been school aged children out walking home from school.   Teach them a lesson, even though no damage was done.  Consequences!!!

Justine butterfly on head  

LyTe684
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Quoting JBIRDSLADIE:

No

If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, you can rest assured that the water bill is higher there too! ~Maya Angelou

mymichelle2002
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM

NO CHARGES!!! What jack ass decided this! This child shouldn't even be IN this home. Where the hell were his parents???

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:37 PM

When I was about 4 or 5, we went over to my Grandma's house. I'm not sure what happened, but me and my brother (he's 4 years older) were out playing hide and seek. I got in the Cadillac and the next thing you know, I rolled it backwards down the driveway, across the street and into the garage across the street. Into, as in CRASH! haha. I don't know if my Mother left it running, or did she leave the keys in the ignition and I turned it on.

So should my Mom have been arrested?

JBIRDSLADIE
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Quoting justinejoy:

They should have to pay a fine - god forbid at 3pm if there had been school aged children out walking home from school.   Teach them a lesson, even though no damage was done.  Consequences!!!

Why? No damage to anything but their own van &, no one was hurt. Dont you think the damaged van and the embaressment is enough?

LyTe684
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Quoting EireLass:

When I was about 4 or 5, we went over to my Grandma's house. I'm not sure what happened, but me and my brother (he's 4 years older) were out playing hide and seek. I got in the Cadillac and the next thing you know, I rolled it backwards down the driveway, across the street and into the garage across the street. Into, as in CRASH! haha. I don't know if my Mother left it running, or did she leave the keys in the ignition and I turned it on.

So should my Mom have been arrested?

No. At the age of 4-5 years old... I don't know a single parent that sits with their eye on thier child 24-7. It's not like he was left home alone, or the mom gave him the key. Same as with you and your brother. I just think they need to get new locks, and a new place to keep their keys. ALL keys, not just car keys.

If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, you can rest assured that the water bill is higher there too! ~Maya Angelou

jillbailey26
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:40 PM

My thoughts exactly.  Why was the mother not watching where her child was going.  I know where all three of my children are at all times.  My oldest two are 5 and 6.  If they go outside, they tell/ask me first.  They would never do something like this.

Quoting mymichelle2002:

NO CHARGES!!! What jack ass decided this! This child shouldn't even be IN this home. Where the hell were his parents???

~Jill~

AKB20037
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:40 PM

I cant even imagine a four yr old being able to reach the gas peddle, my son is for and he definitly isnt tall enough for that, and he is tall for his age. But yeah I think the parents should be fined, and maybe looked into on why they wernt watching thier son or notice the van start up and leaving.

Get your Pregnancy Ticker
pregnancy
Peanutx3
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:40 PM

I do think that pressing charges would be too much, I do think they should be fined the cost of the firemen coming out, police expenses but no charges. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)