Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 week yorkie--PLEASE HELP--update2

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:22 PM
  • 15 Replies

I wanted to update and say that our puppy is healthy again!!  She wasnt eating enough and her blood sugar got really low and then she wasnt drinking enough and she was getting dehydrated... after syringe feeding her for a couple of days and giving her special electrolyte water she is back to the same ole puppy!!

I have  a 9 week old yorkie and sunday she started throwing up brown stuff...its the color of tabacco spit.  it has some little pieces of dog food in it and sometimes has a little bit of spit in it.  She has threw up a total of 3 times.  It wasnt until after the 2nd time that she started not acting right.  She is normally right at my feet and running to keep up but i sat her down to do something and she just laid there til i got back.  I have seen her drinking and I it looks as though she is eating.  Does anyone know what could be wrong?  I would take her to the vet but for some unknown reason all the vets in my area are gone to a conference.  PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!

UPDATE:

So she is still really weak and I have started feeding her every few hours with a dropper.  I notice that she is better after she eats but she still isnt 100%.  Yesterday she was so weak she would try to walk and fall over.  This morning before I  fed her she got out of her cage and fell over and just laid there.  The vets are gone til tomorrow and if anyone has any advice besides taking her to the vet I would really like to hear it!!!  PLEASE!

Come join us at http://www.cafemom.com/group/labellarosa

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:27 PM

It could be so many things. Is she pooping/peeing? What are you feeding her? Above all, make sure she keeps the fluids in. Could she have gotten into something? Cleaning supplies, kitty litter, etc?

danielsmommy2b
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Aw, sorry to hear about your doggie!!! Could it be Parvo? We had a puppy for a few weeks and he had Parvo... He vomited a lot and was extremely ill, he died 3 weeks after we got him. It was awful, I had never seen anything so sick... Good luck, I would definitely call your vet, ASAP, just in case!

ShortCakeScrap
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Not sure what would be wrong with her, hope she's ok.

JessecaLynn
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Like the other said it could be a lot of things.  One other thing to check is to see if her gums are really pale.  She could have low blood sugar.  You can give her some extra soft food, peanut butter, or even a bit of corn syrup to get her blood sugar up.

truckincowgirl
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:36 PM

It sure sounds like Parvo. I hope it is not that serious but it sure sounds like it. Good luck!!

armymommy2
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:43 PM
I have a yorkie too and I was afraid something like that would happen to her when I first got her, when I took her to the vet she told me that if she seemed down or sick to give her plain yogurt. not to much of it maybe a tablespoons worth. also give her some pedialyte that will help with the dehydration incase she is still throwing up.
Photobucket

Photobucket
armymommy2
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:52 PM
heres 2 websites that i googled hope it helps http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1t8ng-8-week-old-yorkie-puppy-vomiting http://www.webanswers.com/pets/my-yorkie-is-vomiting-and-lethargic-he-won-t-drink-but-i-am-giving-him-some-water-he-is-on-an-but-t-94e482
Photobucket

Photobucket
taramd3
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:47 PM

ok im going to try to answer everything in 1 reply... Yes she is still pooping and peeing-- my mom is who i got the puppy from and she raises them so she brought over some special soft food and milk and stuff called  Nutri-Cal...So i am mixing the special dog food in with the milk and mixing in some Nutri-Cal too...  I have noticed that her toungue is not its normal pink color--its whiter.  No she does not have Parvo--she is up to date on all her shots--My mom actually gives them thier shots herself.   My mom mentioned that its probably jut low blood sugar that she mite not have been eating like she should have been--but if that was it shouldnt she be getting better by now?  I will definately try giving her a lil bit of peanut butter or something that was mentioned to try to raise her blood sugar more... im just a nervous wreck and im very anxious for tomorrow so i can take her to the vet!

abby9876
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:02 PM

There's no animal ER near you? Usually at places like that at least one vet will stay behind. I'd check the yellow pages. The pale tongue would concern me too & the nutri-cal should help with blood sugar, but I'm no vet lol. I' sorry you're so scared & I totally understand! Our dog has serious stomach issues, hip dysplasia, & had a seizure for the first time 2 weeks ago. It's terrifying not knowing how to help them! Luckily the ER is only 30 minutes from us & open 24/7. I hope your little  girly is ok!!!

A woman is like a tea bag~you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then live with that decision.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

~Eleanor Roosevelt ~

taramd3
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:19 PM

no we live in a small town with only 1 vet. and there are 3 around the area...

Quoting abby9876:

There's no animal ER near you? Usually at places like that at least one vet will stay behind. I'd check the yellow pages. The pale tongue would concern me too & the nutri-cal should help with blood sugar, but I'm no vet lol. I' sorry you're so scared & I totally understand! Our dog has serious stomach issues, hip dysplasia, & had a seizure for the first time 2 weeks ago. It's terrifying not knowing how to help them! Luckily the ER is only 30 minutes from us & open 24/7. I hope your little  girly is ok!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)