• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:10 PM
  • 2 Replies

OK well my son is 18 1/2 months old, and for a few days hes been pulling at his diaper when(i think) hes peeing.. He has alot of disabilities, so i'm not sure if i should start potty training him yet.

his disabilities include:

Deaf

sensory disorder

balance issue(he doesnt walk yet)

speech impairment(doesnt say a word)

can i start trying to potty train him? like every few hours sit him on a potty and see what he does? i know its going to take a very long time for him to be completly potty trained.. but i was wondering if i should slowly start trying?

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MommyOnLI
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:15 PM

his sensory disorder maybe why he is pulling off his daper.. i would speak to his therapists first.. considering he doesnt talk, or walk, it would be kinda hard for him to communicate with you to let you know he has to go.

my DS is ASD and we dont plan on starting him until he can talk or 3-4 years old

abby9876
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:57 PM

It certainly can't hurt to try. However, I agree it might be good to be sure that's what's going on. Our daughter recently started doing the same & it turned out that her diaper was just a little too low down & tight. It never looked to be too tight, so we had no idea. Honestly, we thought she might have "discovered" her "private parts" lol. After a few days, I asked her why she doing it (while she was doing it) & she just got this really frustrated look. I asked if she wanted me to fix her diaper & she said yes. Since then, we've loosened them a bit, & she's stopped. She's 22 months & has used the potty since she was about 16 months old, on & off. She first asked for one at 12 months & we finally gave in at 14 months. Now we ask her, if she says yes, great. If she says no, we don't push. We plan on doing a "big girl panty" potty training weekend next month. I think it'd be fine to give it a shot as long as he doesn't feel pressured, it won't hurt him.

A woman is like a tea bag~you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then live with that decision.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

~Eleanor Roosevelt ~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)