Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

U wanna know what i think????

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:31 PM
  • 13 Replies

i think that restaurant owners should be required to provide at least a weeks worth of paid sick leave to every emplyee per year, regardless of size, and if they cant afford it then there ought to be a government program to help them afford it......and why????  because there is nothing more digusting than a sick person handling the food i am (or was going to) eat.  thats why.

and i thinks its pathetic that most people only come to work sick because they cant afford to miss a day of work....  no one should have to make that decision.

thats my opinion and i am sticking to it.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeanBee
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I've worked in a few kitchens, and from wha tI've seen, if someone is noticably sick, they are not allowed to stay at work.. They are forced to go home, whether they're paid or not? I don't know.. But safety is always a top priority, and if you've been to a restaurant that has sick people in the kitchen, than perhaps you should rethink where you eat..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Want great home care products sent straight to your door? No shipping charge!
Ask me how I can save you time and money!
lizgriff
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Thank you! My hubby is a line cook. On memorial day he was really sick and a bunch of waiter/ess called out to go to bbqs other people were throwing. The manager made him come in even though one of the other workers said he would cover his shift for him. They never told him that. We only have one vehicle so after I took him the guy told him that he would work for him if he would pick up his shift the next day. Which he did. Then the stupid manager tried to make my hubby feel bad saying "he had plans with his wife for dinner" blah blah blah. Oh but it didn't matter that he was off the entire day after. The guy even told the manager the dinner was not a big deal. This has been working there for a long time so he works mon-fri and opens and is off by 5 and obviously doesnt work the weekends. He has it good there. The manager also told my hubby that she would find out if he went to a bbq and would fire him. I wanted to slap the b!

lizgriff
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:39 PM

I do know if you throw up or have a fever you are suppose to go home.

megan479
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM

but hwy do they come in sick in the first place??  because they cant afford to stay home. 

Quoting JeanBee:

I've worked in a few kitchens, and from wha tI've seen, if someone is noticably sick, they are not allowed to stay at work.. They are forced to go home, whether they're paid or not? I don't know.. But safety is always a top priority, and if you've been to a restaurant that has sick people in the kitchen, than perhaps you should rethink where you eat..

chamelinmom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM

if they have it or not its the people that deside to go to work sick. Ive seen it too many times. even if the manager ask if they need to go home theyd say no and go on

megan479
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:42 PM

i know that that is the recommendattion, but there are so many people out there that go to work anyway because there is no compensation for time lost, and they cant afford to stay home.

Quoting lizgriff:

I do know if you throw up or have a fever you are suppose to go home.

indesperateneed
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:42 PM

I think you r so right. It's true. The other reason is they don't want to lose their job. I they stayed home I wouldn't be sick right now. I wash my hands often. with antibacterial  wash and I cough into (under the front) my shirt.

bernie

megan479
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM

but why????  do you think they want to be there, or are they really saying "id love to, but if i miss a day pf work, i'll lose my house"

Quoting chamelinmom:

if they have it or not its the people that deside to go to work sick. Ive seen it too many times. even if the manager ask if they need to go home theyd say no and go on

bellasmom32808
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:26 PM

If I notice someone handling my food who is coughing, sneezing etc, I talk to the manager about it and I refuse to eat the food. This has happened twice, but I will not eat food handled by someone with snot hanging out. I think op is right, there should be sick pay.

hem0036
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I agree with you, although I know at the store I worked at, it wasnt cause a person couldnt afford to miss work, it was because they couldnt afford to miss work AND pay to see a doctor just to get a note saying they couldnt go to work.  Unless you had a doctors note, you could not miss your shift.  That was that.   And on like $6.50/hour, how are you going to be able to go pay a doctor $50+ just to give you a piece of paper that says you cant work for ____ amount of days.  The operator was an idiot, even if someone was obviously sick, they couldnt miss their shift without a doctors note or they were fired.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)