Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some help here! (wedding reception) *update

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:47 PM
  • 6 Replies

I'm starting to plan an informal wedding reception for aug 8th and i'm not really sure what all goes into it.  I'm wanting to go as cheaply as possible without it looking that way.

The reception site is right next to my sil's restaurant so i can use that for food stuff (we are making our own to save $).  We are planning on doing a cash bar, but we have to stock the bar and find a bartender (any idea what that runs? for the bartender or stocking a bar), I want music, but i'm not sure if we want a dj, band or just a stocked ipod with speakers put on shuffle.

What else do you need/want at these things? I know tables and chairs, but those I have to look at when i check out the site. He rents them out but I'm not sure what they look like or anything.

Oh, and I'm making invites to this, so if anyone is good with paint.net......I might have some questions because I'm doing it myself too.  

I feel overwhelmed already! Yikes! Help!  

*plus i want to look hot at this thing and i have a bunch of weight to loose!!!!!!!! EEEEKK!

So i booked a reception site today. Its 2 doors down from the cafe I used to work at so we are able to use any of their facilities, get ice and other things from them (my sil owns it).  It only cost me 250 for all day if we need to ( from 10a til midnight). We have to clean up and set up our selves, but thats fine with me.   They also have a setup for an ipod or a laptop to play music and a good sound system..no charge.    I'll have to rent out tables and chairs, but since I don't know how many people are coming I haven't done that yet.  Now I just need food, bar/batynder and dishes/napkins/table clothes ( dollar store here i come.)

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
zoeysmom331
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Come join the wedding planning groups, we'll help ya! (I'm at work otherwise I'd go into more details) but CONGRATS! 

ajswenson
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Ok, for the bar - keep it simple.  Some beer and some very basic alcohol.  Don't try to please everyone, it will never happen.  Maybe some of those box wines.  And for the bar tender, know any college students?  I'm sure they would do it for you cheap if you offer them "some" of the left overs! lol

We did a shuffle thing at my sister's reception and it was perfectly fine.

It sounds like you have most of the stuff swirling around in your head.  The only thing I didn't see that I thought you might miss is lighting for after dark.  Do you need any???

Oh, and you can go to a returant supply store and if you ask, sometimes they have open pkgs of napkins, plates, cups, etc...for dirt cheap.

RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Quoting ajswenson:

Ok, for the bar - keep it simple.  Some beer and some very basic alcohol.  Don't try to please everyone, it will never happen.  Maybe some of those box wines.  And for the bar tender, know any college students?  I'm sure they would do it for you cheap if you offer them "some" of the left overs! lol   the bar tender has to be liscensed, and i'm new to the state, so i don't know anyone! lol

We did a shuffle thing at my sister's reception and it was perfectly fine. did they have anything else entertainment wise?

It sounds like you have most of the stuff swirling around in your head.  The only thing I didn't see that I thought you might miss is lighting for after dark.  Do you need any??? its an indoor site, so i really don't think i need any. But thanks for bringing it up :)

Oh, and you can go to a returant supply store and if you ask, sometimes they have open pkgs of napkins, plates, cups, etc...for dirt cheap. well, my sil owns the restaurant 2 doors down, so i was probaby going to just go thru her to get things like that. I know she gets them pretty cheap.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:03 PM

For our wedding we had a keg of beer, some wine available and champagne for a toast.  That was all the alcohol we provided.  My parents wouldn't do a cash bar, and they wouldn't pay for an open bar.  We had plenty of alcohol for all invited (200). 

RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

For our wedding we had a keg of beer, some wine available and champagne for a toast.  That was all the alcohol we provided.  My parents wouldn't do a cash bar, and they wouldn't pay for an open bar.  We had plenty of alcohol for all invited (200). 

My dh wants a keg which is fine with me, but I don't like beer, wine or champagne. lol. I prefer mixed drinks.   I'm not quite sure how many people are coming, but those that i know of right now will drink alot. One keg wouldn't be enough at all.....

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Quoting RosePetalTears:

Quoting atlmom2:

My dh wants a keg which is fine with me, but I don't like beer, wine or champagne. lol. I prefer mixed drinks.   I'm not quite sure how many people are coming, but those that i know of right now will drink alot. One keg wouldn't be enough at all.....

I am with you also but I decided to not drink at all.  It was fine.  We had leftover beer in the keg even with 200 people.  We didn't have the drunk crowd.  They were the one glass of wine or champagne, or the 2 beer crowd. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)