• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone make their own bread?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:55 PM
  • 16 Replies

I have been wanting to make my own bread instead of buying it in the store. Not only is it cheaper, but it's also healthier. A few months ago I tried making my own, I tried a couple of recipes, but the dough never wanted to rise and it never turned out. I thought about purchasing a bread maker but I know they can be expensive. Does anyone have an easy recipe or does any one know a good bread maker they can recommend? Thanks for your help!

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:58 PM

My mother in law makes bread 1-2 times a week in the bread maker.  She never bakes it in there because it has the mixer baked into it.  She just sets it to make the dough. Then she takes it out, puts in in a bread pan and lets it rise once more, then bakes it. 

yourgie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Bump I was going to ask the same thing.

WAHM_Teresa
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:21 PM

I got my bread machine for $25 at a garage sale.  I love it!  I bake zucchini bread, banana nut bread, white bread and others as well.  Good big pieces for toast or french toast.  YUMMY!

HuskerAmber
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:22 PM

That's awesome you got it for so cheap!

Quoting WAHM_Teresa:

I got my bread machine for $25 at a garage sale.  I love it!  I bake zucchini bread, banana nut bread, white bread and others as well.  Good big pieces for toast or french toast.  YUMMY!

NavyWife1103
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:23 PM

I've got a bread machine! I've only tried it a few times, but it's not bad! I should probably look up some different recipes for it!

LiChanelsMommy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a bread machine. lol. I think I will get one! 

HuskerAmber
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:24 PM

What kind, did it cost a lot?

Quoting NavyWife1103:

I've got a bread machine! I've only tried it a few times, but it's not bad! I should probably look up some different recipes for it!

Cara5
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 2:19 AM

We used an old fashioned bread maker... you know, an oven.  I actually have 6 loaves cooling on the counter right now.. that should get us through the week lol.  Its really pretty easy, I have a stand mixer so that takes the tiny bit of work out of it.  It does take alot of time, but its mostly waiting time.  Mix, kneed and Wait for it to rise, punch down, wait for rise, separate, wait for rise and bake. Takes all evening but your only messing with it for a few minuets.

Lauren & Cara MOMS of SIX great kids!!! 

mawmaw62286
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Yes I make my own bread and it is great,I also got mine at a yard sale,people quit making it because ,the stores almost quit saleing the mix,but I see its comming back on the shalves again.But there is some great.ideas on the conputer,mawmaw62286baking

MRiley423
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 1:13 PM

i just recently bought a breadmachine at walmart pretty cheap, and i love it. very easy to use, and seems to be a cheaper/healthier option. i also like to use it to make pizza dough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)