Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I cannot believe my in-laws!!! VENT!!

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

My in-laws are suppose to visit us this coming weekend. They are suppose to arrive friday afternoon and they are leaving monday morning. We have been planning this visit for 5 months now. They are also now bringing my step kids with them so we didn't have to drive all the way to Illinois (we live in kansas) to get them. I have already made a menu up and have bought all the food we needed for the visit which wasn't cheap at all. There are going to be 11 people including us in our home this weekend. Well tonight my MIL calls and asks DH if they could bring a stray cat they found that they are keeping. DH told her he would ask me about it. I told DH that because our girls are allergic to animals and that I have horrible allergies and asthma that I didn't want the cat here. Plus this cat is a stray they found 2 days ago, she has not had it checked out by a vet, so this cat could be sick, or have fleas or could have rabies for all we know since she hasn't taken it to a vet. And something else we have to take into consideration is that her other three cats had flea's during our last visit and she doesn't take her animal's to a vet regularly and does not get flea and tick med's to put on them, so I'm pretty sure that this cat will also have flea's simply because her other cats have flea's. I don't want this cat here, but if we don't allow her to bring the cat then she won't come and we don't have the money for the gas to go get the kids. I am just so angry right now that she would be so inconsiderate of our home. I am always very respectful of her home when we visit, I always make sure our kids don't make a mess and that we clean up after ourselves and so forth. But this just really makes me wonder what this woman can be thinking and I just can't understand why she would be so disrespectful of us and our home. I am just soooo angry at her right now.

EDIT***

The cat is only 6 weeks old and has to be bottle fed, that is why she wants to bring it with, Or so she assumes its only 6 weeks...as I said its not been seen by a vet so who knows what could be wrong with it.

Well I'm pretty pissed off, DH talked to his mom again today and he told herjust to bring the cat but it had to stay down stairs in the laundry room and that it wasn't allowed up stairs at all. I told DH that if the stupid cat has fleas it has to go outside in the garage. I wasn't very happy with him...I reminded him what happened the last time I picked a cat up and he just got pissy with me. He just doesn't want this affecting her bringing the kids. So I guess my children and I get to suffer while his mom got her way. He told me that had it not been for her bringing the children to us that he would have told her to stay home with her cat. I guess she told DH that she would take it to the vet when she got her pay check....How much ya wanna bet the freakin cat has flea's and she doesn't bother to take it to a vet. I am just in disbelief that she would do something like this.

Step Parenting:

One ofgirl giving flower the toughest jobs in the world.

Join my group Step Parenting!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/101472

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jabs54
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:07 PM

That is terrible that she would black mail you like that.  If the cat was stray I'm sure it's fine outside.  Why can't they just have the neighbors feed the stray and the other cats too for matter.  I'm sorry :(

Autumn22
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Allow them to bring it IF they bring a cage for it to be outside.

{+} Life, Guns, Constitution, Organics, Breast feeding, Baby wearing, Bed sharing, Home schooling, Ron Paul, Homeopathy, Truth

{-} Vaccines (ask me why), CIO, Formula, Fluoride, New World Order, Smoking, Circumcision (it's HIS choice!)

sent4u5041
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Have you told her yet that she is not allowed to bring the cat? Did she already say she wouldn't come if she couldn't bring the cat? Maybe she will be considerate...although I know many MIL's are not. You did not say SHE said she would not come, just that she asked which is nicer than most people. I have had people show up at my house with animals and never even asked me before hand.

Tired of working for a boss who will always make more money then you will? Tired of spending hundreds at discount stores only to get nothing in return? Do you want to be able to work from home and be with your babies and make enough money on your own to do that? Do you want to own your own business? If you answered yes to any of these questions ask me what you need to do and find out the answer that millions already know!

CafeMom Tickers
rinoasmommy2005
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:44 PM

if she has 3 other cats...and she only wants to bring the stray... what is she doing with the others?

people are rude. period. and it sucks that those few considerate people have to deal with it.

i hope they come (cat free!) and you get to see your step kids. good luck. 

kanooch1011
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:09 AM

She sounds like a nut job.  That stray could have something and infect everyone else.  Tell her to take it to a shelter.

iluvmommyhood58
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:20 AM
I think it's pretty inconsiderate of people to expect to be able to bring their animals to anyone else's house, no matter how long they've owned the animal, whether or not it's house broken, does or does not have fleas, whatever pedigree, however clean it might be, whether or not anyone is allergic.... That's just rude and it's YOUR house. If you don't want animals in your house, other people have to respect that. If she wants to throw a tantrum and not come anymore now, that's her problem. Don't reward that kind of RIDICULOUS and IMMATURE behavior by complying and giving in. Tell her she can bring the kids back and turn right around and go back home if she likes, but she is not bringing any animals into your house. All the food you bought... well, I'm sure you have to eat too. Yeah, it's irritating that you went through all the trouble but she's stepping all over your personal boundaries and disrespecting you, your home, your family and your ability to make decisions.
2dogmom
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:42 AM

tell her the cats may stay in your garage...The litter box and everything can g inn there along with a little blanket to sleep on...unless it is severely hot where you live this should be fine....Thats what I would do...a compromise..but dont tell her they will be in garage til she gets here...lol

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 1:07 PM

She sounds manipulative is she's saying accept the cat or we're not coming. Any vet or kennel will take care of the cat for the weekend. Include bottle feeding it, which at 6 weeks, it doesn't need. Tell her your sorry she's choosing the cat over a visit with her grandchildren, see ya next summer.

Nic_Stayin_Stng
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 1:31 PM

This sounds like a really good idea.  Or you could insist on a vet visit before the trip.  The vet will treat it for fleas or ticks if it has them, and it usually only takes about 24 hours for the meds to kick in.  If the cat is 6 weeks old, it should be able to eat solid food, however it does need to be moist and soft.  Just put some warm water or warm whole milk on it.

Quoting Autumn22:

Allow them to bring it IF they bring a cage for it to be outside.

247mamaandwife
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 1:37 PM

YIKES thats sounds very selfish on her part! i would say you may just have to stick with your first reaction becuase your girls and you are going to be very sick next week if you dont and that will be hard takeing care of all the kids

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)