Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Someone help me understand this

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:02 PM
  • 15 Replies

(Before I say anything else I just want to put out there, I believe in spanking in moderation when nothing else works so I am not against spanking or anything like that) but I don't understand...

How if your child bites you, you bite them back does that teach them anything? All that is going to do is confuse them. I mean, seriously. Where is the logic there?

Same with smacking your child for hitting you.. I mean it's just like saying  "You don't hit people it isn't nice" and then *wham* you turn around and do the same thing to them that you just told them was wrong.

Am I the only one that doesn't understand this?

Just because your parents did this and it worked for you and you're fine doesn't mean it's appropriate to do with your own child. It is extremely confusing for them. Someone help me understand this!!

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nikkiJ86
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:27 PM

It let's them know exactly how it feels when they do it to someone else.And it does work!

BigMomo
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I agree

Quoting nikkiJ86:

It let's them know exactly how it feels when they do it to someone else.And it does work!

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:30 PM

I did not have biters but I know people that said, only one time, that was all it took to bite them back, (not hard) and let them know what it feels like when they bite.  They never ever bit again after that.  It does cure them. 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:37 PM

I'm with you. I was a mild spanker as well. I never understood doing the same to a tiny child that they're doing to another kid or yourself. My daughter only bit her brother (older than her). It was so obvious that it was about frustration....just by watching her. She just couldn't do all that he could do....age/size. I would just tell her not to do it, and tell her it hurt Josh so much. If I wasn't there to see it, he'd wallop her. Kids can usually settle things pretty good between themselves. At least from all that I've seen. The hitting was more about wrestling....junior high/high school. It was a pretty even match at that time, and the only interference I gave was to instruct her to NEVER hit below the belt, and him NEVER to hit the breasts or abdoman. They love each other so much though...very attached (they're 29 & 26).

tigger_18_55
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:40 PM

I agree.

Quoting nikkiJ86:

Mother to Jjessica

KalebsMommee
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:43 PM

It may make them understand that it hurts but that is ALL it does its kinda foolish to tell them not to do something but then as an adult turn around and do it right back to them.

Quoting nikkiJ86:

mamad122
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:43 PM

My daughter is only a year old so I haven't had to go through this yet but AT THIS POINT (may change later, sorry!) I think the logic for some parents with biting a child back is that they learn how it feels and that it's not fun. I had a friend that tried EVERYTHING to get her son to stop biting and she finally bit him back once and he never bit again.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Icons

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I have seen it work many times.  Its usually done as a last resort when all else fails and it works.  They see what they have been doing to others. 

Quoting KalebsMommee:

It may make them understand that it hurts but that is ALL it does its kinda foolish to tell them not to do something but then as an adult turn around and do it right back to them.

Quoting nikkiJ86:

mamad122
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:44 PM

True. But I am curious- do you spank your child for hitting someone? Not bashing because believe me I would but I would like to know your opinion on it.

Quoting KalebsMommee:

Quoting nikkiJ86:

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Icons

nikkiJ86
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Just because you don't agree with it,doesnt mean you should say that it's foolish.As long as it works for me and whoever else that using that method,then that's all that matters.

Quoting KalebsMommee:

Quoting nikkiJ86:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)