Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Forclosure Question... PIOG

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:22 PM
  • 12 Replies

We have discovered that my husband's ex-wife, Satan, has been served with Foreclosure. She lives in Ohio..

Does anyone know how long after being served, she's got before she's evicted??

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ForeverInLove
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:23 PM

From what I know. Once you are served your foreclosure papers, you go through a Sheriff's something, and then you are given a one year period in which you can try to sell the home and/or catch up on payments. After that one year period, she loses it. Period.

luvbeingamommy3
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:30 PM

It depends on the type of loan...conventioal, FHA, etc. most situations tho are you are behind 3-6 months and you start going through the foreclousure process after about the 3rd to 4th month you are behind then you will have a sheriffs sale and then you have to appear in court and they give a time of when you have to be out. usually about 6 months so really you can live in your house for about a year with out paying. now this is not always true with everyone you could live there a year after the sheriff's sale or take a friend of mine he has not paid on his home since Nov 2007 and still has not gone into foreclouse....don't ask how cause I have no idea

Quoting ForeverInLove:

From what I know. Once you are served your foreclosure papers, you go through a Sheriff's something, and then you are given a one year period in which you can try to sell the home and/or catch up on payments. After that one year period, she loses it. Period.

GOBryan
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:54 PM

My understanding these days is that it takes about a year/year and a half before you are served. Which means the person hasn't paid in all that time, so then, they get "another" year approximately before they are evicted if they don't catch up???

Quoting luvbeingamommy3:

It depends on the type of loan...conventioal, FHA, etc. most situations tho are you are behind 3-6 months and you start going through the foreclousure process after about the 3rd to 4th month you are behind then you will have a sheriffs sale and then you have to appear in court and they give a time of when you have to be out. usually about 6 months so really you can live in your house for about a year with out paying. now this is not always true with everyone you could live there a year after the sheriff's sale or take a friend of mine he has not paid on his home since Nov 2007 and still has not gone into foreclouse....don't ask how cause I have no idea

Quoting ForeverInLove:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Wow....I didn't realize it took so long....living free. That's amazing!

GOBryan
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I know. That's a long time. I understand that it can go on for approximately 18 months before they foreclose, but I wasn't aware that the process after being served would take so much longer.

Then families are living rent/mortgage-free for a minimum of 2 years before they're evicted. That's an aweful long time.

I think that bank is being more than reasonable, although, I wonder if they have to pay the total past due to keep the house of if they would work on a pay plan once the owner can begin to pay again?

Well.. In Satan's case, she's also getting divorced or has completed divorce proceedings, so she's probably stretching her luck for as long as possible with intentions of foreclosure, since he won't just hand her the house and she wouldn't want him to get a penny from it.

Quoting EireLass:

Wow....I didn't realize it took so long....living free. That's amazing!

sassy43082
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 9:16 AM

I live in Ohio... My sister had a foreclosure and it took her a year.

GOBryan
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Is that after she was served?? or she was in the house a year and then she was served?

Quoting sassy43082:

I live in Ohio... My sister had a foreclosure and it took her a year.

DulceBrowneyes
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 12:42 PM

My husband's ex got this house in foreclosure, but we didn't know about it until 6 months later, so we had to scramble and pull money out of our asses to save it in time. So yeah, I'd say about a year sounds right. I'm in Texas, btw.

Blessed Be

He lied and never knew that he lied, and when it was pointed out to him said that lies were beautiful. He was an idealist.

- 'Of Human Bondage', W. Somerset Maugham
srichtermom
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I work for lawyers in Illinois and this is how the foreclosure process goes.  Once you are served with papers, you have approximately 30 days to file an appearance or an answer or in other words, hire an attorney and have them do that for you.  If you fail to do so, you are considered in default for not having appeared or answered.  At that time, the attorney can file what is called a Motion for Default and Judgement of Foreclosure and Sale; these are the documents that will technically cause your house to be taken away from you.  Once those are entered in Court, the Sheriff's Sale can be scheduled.  I have seen Judgments entered one week and the Sheriff's Sale take place 2 weeks later.  It all depends on the state, county and whether the person being foreclosed on is making any effort (i.e.  appearing in court, contacting bank for payment options, etc.).  Hope that helps some!

GOBryan
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Got it!! So if she doesn't fight it, then she only has a few weeks to get out.. I don't know if she will since the house is under her and her soon to be ex-husband's name.

She's worked with many attorneys in the past, so I don't know if she still is or not but she usually fights everything. My husband's divorce from her alone took 4 years and she's the one that started the proceedings.

Thanks for the info, Ladies.

Quoting srichtermom:

I work for lawyers in Illinois and this is how the foreclosure process goes.  Once you are served with papers, you have approximately 30 days to file an appearance or an answer or in other words, hire an attorney and have them do that for you.  If you fail to do so, you are considered in default for not having appeared or answered.  At that time, the attorney can file what is called a Motion for Default and Judgement of Foreclosure and Sale; these are the documents that will technically cause your house to be taken away from you.  Once those are entered in Court, the Sheriff's Sale can be scheduled.  I have seen Judgments entered one week and the Sheriff's Sale take place 2 weeks later.  It all depends on the state, county and whether the person being foreclosed on is making any effort (i.e.  appearing in court, contacting bank for payment options, etc.).  Hope that helps some!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)