Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

$6,000

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:45 AM
  • 62 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you return the money?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 126

View Results

$6K mistake

PHOENIX -- A Valley woman is out nearly $6,000 after mistyping her account number when she made an online transfer.

Laurie Hamouz needed money, so she withdrew $5,800 from her 401(k) account."I was going to use it to buy a refrigerator, a washer, a dryer, some things for the new house and pay off a couple of little bills," Hamouz said.Unfortunately, she made an error when she typed her Desert Schools Federal Credit Union account number into the online form -- she typed a 6 instead of an 8 -- and the money was deposited into someone else's account.By the time the mistake was caught, credit union officials said they were unable to help.

They said, 'Nope, the money's gone, and this isn't really our problem anymore. You need to contact the police if you want your money back,'" Hamouz said. "And I said, 'Are you kidding me?'"5 Investigates learned her money had been deposited into the account of 24-year-old Cody Dungan, an ex-marine and aspiring artist.When police initially contacted Dungan in mid-March, they gave him three weeks to return the money."All that was asked initially was (to) do the right thing, and when that wasn't done, we were left with no options but to seek criminal charges," Phoenix Police Department spokesman Sgt. Tommy Thompson said."I feel that someone else made the mistake, not me," Dungan said. "I didn't ask for the money to be deposited into my account; it just showed up. And after I asked where it came from and whose it was, I couldn't get a straight answer ... so I figured the money was mine."Dungan spent all the money in about two weeks."I went ahead and used the money for ... school supplies and ... living expenses," he said.He also spent $400 on a new tattoo.The Maricopa County Attorney's Office has charged Dungan with one count of theft.Nevertheless, the situation might have been prevented.Desert Schools Federal Credit Union does not check the account holder's name against the account number."Basically, we do everything we can to protect our members, and under the ACH rules ... we're in compliance," said Jason Meyers, a spokesman for the credit union.The ACH, or Automated Clearing House, is a nationwide system that transfers money electronically.The system deals strictly with account numbers; however, individual institutions can take the extra step of matching names to accounts.Meyers said Hamouk is essentially out of luck."We're saying it was her error."Desert Schools Federal Credit Union recommends their customers take these steps to protect themselves when depositing money into an account:

• Always double check your account information when making a direct deposit or online transfer.
  • Make sure you are transferring funds to the intended recipient.
  • Reference the numbers at the bottom of your personal checks if you are unsure of your institution's routing number.
  • When in doubt, contact your financial institution for your correct account number.
  • Call your bank for a direct deposit form just to be sure.

Would you have returned the money?  I have had $10,000 accidentally deposited in my account and returned it immediately.

by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ziggy-Stardust
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I would return the money because its the right thing to do and that is what I would want someone to do for me if it was the other way around. 

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

AmbiguousOne
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:48 AM

lol what an asshole, he spent 6k in two weeks.

GOBryan
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I would return the money because either ways, when they catch the error it'll be corrected anyway.

Banks make errors. I was depositing $12,000. into our business account once and the teller only credited $1,200.  Good thing I looked at the slip at that moment because she was able to immediately make the correction.

brfischer79
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:52 AM

I would return it, I would feel too guilty :(

Tracyrae
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:52 AM

oh I'd be so happy to see 6k in my acct!!!  oh but guilt would never let me keep it..... thanks a lot mom....

lilyrose73
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:53 AM
Of course I would return the money. That man has a lot of bad karma coming his way...
lolamac
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Yes he will be facing criminal charges....dumb butt....and no i would not keep the money...that's just wrong and I have morals, unlike this man.

emilysmom8
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:56 AM

It sounds as though he tried to return the money (or atleast find out where it came from) and he said he "couldn't get any strait answers". So in my honest opinion I would have kept the money also. I believe it was the credit unions fault for not verifing what account the money was going in to..  IF I had extra money deposited into the bank and no one could tell me where it came from I would most deffinitly use it, between school loans and regualr living expenses I could really use the extra money. 

GOBryan
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:57 AM

True.. Sadly there's alot of stupid people that think it's free money and that if they spend it the bank can't recoup it.

Quoting lolamac:

Yes he will be facing criminal charges....dumb butt....and no i would not keep the money...that's just wrong and I have morals, unlike this man.

mom2ljh
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

What a little jerk.  He KNEW the money wasn't his.  If you don't know where it came from, you know it is NOT your's.  I hope he is found guilty of theft and anything else they can charge him with.  That is absolutely ridiculous.  Its also ridiculous that the credit union did NOT match the name.  Wow.

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, verbal regression, and the coolest kid on the block.

Then                                           Now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)