Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it more expensive to eat healthy?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:10 PM
  • 74 Replies

Now, as someone who buys only organic food, I can say that I do agree that it is more expensive, so let's leave the organic food out of it!!! Give me some reasons why eating healthy is more expensive. I call bullshit, but, I would still like to hear from others.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OrchidsNLilies
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Since I had my son and living on a tight budget, I mean tight.. I've had to cut out my fresh veggies for canned and frozen. Still a little nutrition in frozen. But I went from eating nothing that was processed to hamburger helpers. The only person in the house that gets organic milk and fresh everything is for my son becasue the bill would be twice as high if I involved myself and his father. We tried it already. If you have any ideas on how to get healthier food within my budget, please let me know! I need it, I feel sick without it and tired! LOL!

lillybugsmom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Yes and no. Organic foods are more expensive, but you don't have to eat organic to eat healthier. If you cut out fast food and soda then you are cutting out a large expense. Buying ground pork or turkey is also about half the price of ground beef. Vegetables are always going to be costly especially in the off season. The best way to find deals is to shop locally. Our local farmers market gives you a paper bag and whatever you fit in it is $5.

Petunia419
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I think it is more expensive to eat healthy, In the last 10 years we have completely changed our eating, in the last 3 we have gone mostly vegitarian, no processed food and no white sugar or flour... I spend a lot more money!!!  We cannot afford to eat organic, although, I would like to and "health" food is very expensive!  Yikes!  We do grow a lot of our own veggies and we belong to a co-op...that helps.  

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with it!
SunnyDaze33
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Beans and brown rice are cheap. Super cheap, and super healthy. Frozen veggies are cheap. Buying produce in season is always cheaper than those that aren't, and buying locally helps. Find a farmers market near you for produce. Go meatless twice a week, or three times a week. Mushrooms are cheap, and can substitute ground beef. For chicken, buy whole chickens, or legs and thighs. Buy a family pack of those, to stretch your dollar more. Carrots are cheap. I see big bags for like 3 bucks. Make things from scratch. To stretch your fruit, buy plain yogurt and mix the fruit in for a healthy snack and your fruit lasts longer. You can throw in some honey(raw is better) for sweetness without the calories.

May I ask what you are cleaning with?

Quoting OrchidsNLilies:

Since I had my son and living on a tight budget, I mean tight.. I've had to cut out my fresh veggies for canned and frozen. Still a little nutrition in frozen. But I went from eating nothing that was processed to hamburger helpers. The only person in the house that gets organic milk and fresh everything is for my son becasue the bill would be twice as high if I involved myself and his father. We tried it already. If you have any ideas on how to get healthier food within my budget, please let me know! I need it, I feel sick without it and tired! LOL!

Cynthje
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:01 PM

For me no, i live on a tiny island where almost everything is imported, the "convenience foods" are very expensive here. Whats cheap here is local fruits and vegetables, frozen imported veggies and fruits. Meat and fish i try to eat local as much as possible, its cheaper and organic. I was raised on fresh healthy foods and my father taught us how to cook from a young age, the packaged stuff confuses me. So in my case its cheaper and easier to cook healthy well balanced meals!

Mel30248
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:07 PM

It is more expensive & I dont care what people think. I have a budget for food & the more healthy you go the more money it takes! Juice is way more expensive then powdered ice tea or kool aid for a thing of V8 splash juice its like $2 now if I go out & buy the cheap brand ice tea I can get for $2 3 V8 splash containers! Ground beef the less of the fat % or whatever the cheaper we have to buy like 80% because its the cheapest. Fresh veggies & fruit are more expensive then canned or frozen although carrots are always cheap for us so we always get those & potatos are cheap too. Buying a pasta/rice side is much cheaper then making one yourself you pay $1 for one of those sides imagine if I had to buy the pasta/rice, veggies, sauce, etc. it would add up to more then that. So yes it is more expensive to eat healthy believe me!

whalewail
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Eating healthy can be more expensive. Part of it is where you shop and how you shop. You have to learn how to shop sales, use coupons effectively, buy in season, and cook simpler meals. But when you get down to it a cup of ramen is like 25 cents. That's hard to beat and one of the unhealthiest things you can eat lol.

There are options to grow your own fruits and vegetables, but mostly only if you live in a house. For those of us who are still in apartments, it's not really much of an option.

Amanda

Wife to Chris

Mama to
Guy (11/1/07)
Toby (9/20/08)
and
Baby X (EDD 1/10/10)
SunnyDaze33
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Quoting Mel30248:

It is more expensive & I dont care what people think. I have a budget for food & the more healthy you go the more money it takes! Juice is way more expensive then powdered ice tea or kool aid for a thing of V8 splash juice its like $2 now if I go out & buy the cheap brand ice tea I can get for $2 3 V8 splash containers!WATER Ground beef the less of the fat % or whatever the cheaper we have to buy like 80% because its the cheapest. GROUND TURKEYFresh veggies & fruit are more expensive then canned or frozen NOT ALWAYS. Buying locally, and seasonal is way cheaper. although carrots are always cheap for us so we always get those & potatos are cheap too. Buying a pasta/rice side is much cheaper then making one yourself No way. It is only cheaper up front. For the dollar you pay for one box of that stuff, you can spend maybe a dollar more, and get a big bag of rice that will last you through a few meals, and pasta is 50 cents for a small box, and maybe a dollar, maybe a wee bit more for a big bag, and, you can buy spices to spruce up your rice. You don't need fancy sauce. Spices can be found dry for 50 cents each. A can of tomatoe sauce is like 1.50. So, yeah, you may have spent about 3-4 dollars for all of that, but it will last through a few meals, and it is much healthier.you pay $1 for one of those sides imagine if I had to buy the pasta/rice, veggies, sauce, etc. it would add up to more then that. So yes it is more expensive to eat healthy believe me!

Angela735
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I totally agree with SunnyDaze33. There is no reason to not eat healthy. you just have to look for the deals.

Quoting SunnyDaze33:

Quoting Mel30248:

It is more expensive & I dont care what people think. I have a budget for food & the more healthy you go the more money it takes! Juice is way more expensive then powdered ice tea or kool aid for a thing of V8 splash juice its like $2 now if I go out & buy the cheap brand ice tea I can get for $2 3 V8 splash containers!WATER Ground beef the less of the fat % or whatever the cheaper we have to buy like 80% because its the cheapest. GROUND TURKEYFresh veggies & fruit are more expensive then canned or frozen NOT ALWAYS. Buying locally, and seasonal is way cheaper. although carrots are always cheap for us so we always get those & potatos are cheap too. Buying a pasta/rice side is much cheaper then making one yourself No way. It is only cheaper up front. For the dollar you pay for one box of that stuff, you can spend maybe a dollar more, and get a big bag of rice that will last you through a few meals, and pasta is 50 cents for a small box, and maybe a dollar, maybe a wee bit more for a big bag, and, you can buy spices to spruce up your rice. You don't need fancy sauce. Spices can be found dry for 50 cents each. A can of tomatoe sauce is like 1.50. So, yeah, you may have spent about 3-4 dollars for all of that, but it will last through a few meals, and it is much healthier.you pay $1 for one of those sides imagine if I had to buy the pasta/rice, veggies, sauce, etc. it would add up to more then that. So yes it is more expensive to eat healthy believe me!

I am a proud mom who, breastfed til 18months, co-slept for a while, immunize every time, spank when necessary, time out when necessary, trusts God for all her family's needs.how are you

sararay
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I think it depends on your definitions.

You can eat really cheap on beans and rice for every meal, but it is not a rounded diet and therefore not "healthy" but it isn't processed food either.

Leaving organic out of it, you can save a lot of money by buying fresh produce minimally prepared (no bagged salad for instance) and buying local. You also save money by preparing food yourself versus buying processed foods.

I love my CSA box and I buy from a local farm that I know uses sustainable farming practices but isn't big enough and doesn't have the revenue to afford being certified "organic". I also buy my ground beef from a local ranch in the same situation. All their beef is grass-finished and not given hormones and antibiotics but they don't bother with being certified "organic" because they can rely on word-of-mouth advertizing.

I think where I find that eating healthy is most expensive is with convenience food. If you have the time to prepare everything yourself you can eat for a very low cost. Can even the most frugal home-cooked meal compare to a $1 menu for cost, I don't think so, but what you spend for food at home is worth the extra cost.

The other thing to consider is nutritional density, or nutritional value vs. cost. Not so much the cost of the food, but the value. Also take into consideration the healthcare costs in the long-run if someone chooses to live off of the $1 menu.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)