Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We dont need art in schools

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:42 PM
  • 17 Replies

My town was going to auction off these works of art made by the towns people donated to the schools to raise money for the art program. Without this money they can not fund art. SOMEONE (probably kids, which is even worse cause it directly affects their education) STOLE all the works of art that were going to be auctioned off. Now they don't have the money to fund the art program. I am very upset about this. People I talk to are upset that the art was stolen but otherwise don't care that the art program is being taken out of the schoo. They are saying there are more pressing matters in the world than wether or not there is art in this school system. That is CRAZY! I am so mad! Why are people acting this way?? I think art is CRUTIAL!

I'm Slow

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I agree. Art is very important. It allows a child to express themselves in a creative manner. My 3rd grade students LOVED going to Art class every Friday last school year.  

LavenderMom23
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:46 PM
For years, school systems across the nation dropped the arts to concentrate on getting struggling students to pass tests in reading and math. Yet now, a growing body of brain research suggests that teaching the arts may be good for students across all disciplines.

Scientists are now looking at, for instance, whether students at an arts high school who study music or drawing have brains that allow them to focus more intensely or do better in the classroom.

The Lord bless you and keep you! The Lord let his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you! The Lord look upon you kindly and give you peace! (Numbers 6:24-26)

bonkersornuts
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Two of my 3 children get awards in Art every year. As a matter of fact when my son was in Kindergarten his teacher wanted him in a gifted class ( wanted him to be tested) because of how artistic he is.Writing and drawing.I would hate if they took art away. My son also got an award out of his whole grade on a picture he drew.

Domzmom2005

That is horrible, I agree that art is important. I believe that it helps with creativity which in turn helps kids learn. I always loved art in school and I would hate for my kids to not be able to have art class because of lack of funding!

baby

baby

BigOlMommy

I think art is a great program to have in schools. Kids need some way to let out their creativity in an otherwise boring & seemingly useless (to them) educational system. That's a real shame. Art was always my favorite in school.

MaeveLada

that is a shame that someone is ruining the one nice thing that your town was trying to do to save the art program.  Have them watch the movie, Mr. Holland's opus, about music taken out of schools, music art and other areas like even gym, make a student well rounded, and give an outlet to some students whom otherwise wouldnt even like going to school.  There are whole graphic arts programs in tech schools, how would they feed into those programs if the children never even get a taste for how art touches our lives.  That really is awful, you should continue to try to find other ways to fund the program, get other moms to offer to help.  get them to give you one night in the snack bar at the baseball or soccer games and make money that way?? who knows, you might find your niche,, just if you try raffles and things like that, even bingo,, make sure you have the right permits or they will get you in the end and take your profits again.

jmho

lu

lanceandhailey
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:55 PM

I loved art in school!

crappy photos LOL

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Most schools including ours here are cutting funding for things.  I would rather have art cut than  a part of math or English and to cut out that.  An elementary by us is cutting art also.  Its K-8.  They are also cutting foreign language (Which to me is more important than art) for grades 2-6.  They won't start until 7th grade.  The HS here but 3 teachers.  I don't know how it is effecting classes.  Probably they had some teachers leave or retire and are not replacing them and making some classes larger.  We have been pretty lucky here to have smaller classes than a lot of schools. 

That is AWFUL someone stole the art!!!!

Marimaru
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:02 PM

If there's people who would want their kids in art, could you put together an after school art class or group that's structured like an art class sort of?  You would need everyone's participation for supplies, and someone would have to lead it, but it could be worth doing.  I guess kids would need to be willing to have part of their afternoons eaten up by it.

pregnancy

She's a girl!!

ColieO
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:54 PM

If they had cut all fine arts in my high school I would have dropped out. Not even kidding. I LOVED my art and drama classes, my photography class, my pottery class. I hate math. I'm seriously so stupid at it even if I study it constantly.

I would drive my kids extra miles just to take them to a school with art classes if the one near me didn't have it. Art is so important to me. Cut the stupid sports if anything.

I am who I am. I won't change ME to fit YOUI'm blessed to have the most beautiful boy in the world born 11-21-07. Bride to be 06-25-09. I'm caring, outgoing, truthful, speak my mind, funny. I like food. I like swimming in lakes, rivers, pools, oceans. The feeling of being weightless and free is amazing. I love to perform on stage and entertain people. I love to learn and improve myself and my mind. I believe in God. I don't let people walk all over me. I am Nicole. I am strong. I am proud of what I've done. I am beautiful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)