Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my two week old is making me want to cry

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:42 PM
  • 19 Replies
My two week old son will not stop crying. For the first week and a half we had him home, he cried when he was hungry, had a poopy diaper, or wanted his pacifier. He then would stay awake for an hour and go to sleep. He has been awake today since 10am, aside from 5 minute naps, and been crying non-stop. I am feeling like a failure as a mother and like he hates me already and its only been two weeks. Am I doing something wrong? He's eating/popping/peeing just fine, and is not gassy. I've tried swaddling him, too. Please help. :-(
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NewMommyMe
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:45 PM
First off, Congrats with the little guy! Second, some babies are just criers! Have you tried rocking him, running the vacuum, or even singing to him?
NavyWifey122305
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:45 PM

try taking a nap wth him and put his head on your chest so he can listen to your heart beat. try giving him more to eat. even though they say 2 0z every 2-3 hrs some babies ( even this young) may need a little more or more often. 

keep your head up momma things will get easier!

you can even put him in his car seat and on the washer with it on spin mode see if that works ( or the dryer) or just go for a car ride.

Mama2HannahLynn
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Hannah was pretty fussy as a baby, she wanted to be held at all times to be happy. Do you have a sling or carrier?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Greys_mama
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Take a deep breath....The vaccum thing really works.  Also, if you have a swing try that.  Play soothing music, and rub him with lavender lotion or give him a bath with lavender bath wash.  Remember he can feel when you are tense and stressed out.  Try to take deep breaths and remain calm.  It'll get better:)

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
'Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.' - Dr. Suess

BRey28
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Try nice soft music to calm him down.....Enya always worked for my son. Maybe even a nice warm bath.....they usually help soothe a baby. It could also be colic which alot of babies get

cawmom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:52 PM

My middle son was like that and he didn't sleep all night till he was 31/2.  It could be seperation anxiety, there isn't much you can do but have a lot of patience and remeber he's 2 weeks old and not sure what the heck is going on.  One thing that did help was wrapping him up in one of my dirty shirts that way he knew i was close by. 

Good luck!

shabby.chic
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Try all of the above pp suggestions.

Also, have you walked outside with him-my son always stopped crying when we stepped out the door.

Car ride to lull him into a much needed nap.

No matter what though, if you feel overly stressed, put your son in his crib (or another safe place) make sure he can't get hurt, and walk outside for 10 minutes. Sometimes we just need to take a time out and regroup.

Just keep experimenting until you find what works : )

God loves everyone, but probably prefers 'fruits of the spirit' over 'religious nuts'.
He who angers you controls you.
God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.
God Himself does not propose to judge a man until he is dead.  So why should you?

Featherwisp
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:53 PM

First, relax and take a deep breath, this is normal!

You are tired, and he's doing what babies do. They cry, sometimes for no reason at all. You aren't a bad mother, and he certainly doesn't hate you! You're just feeling the growing pains of each of you adjusting to your new life together.

First, check the temp. it's summer time, could he be too warm? My boys hated being swaddled in the warm weather. It's not too early to lay him on a soft blanket for some floor time. Just be sure to stay right with him in case of spit up.

Second, consider the noise level. He's used to hearing your heart, stomache and voice almost constantly from inside the womb. If you're alone with him you may not realize how quite you are being, he may feel a little insecure with no noise. Play some soft music, read aloud, or just sing or talk to him.

Third, if nothing else is working, have you tried a pacifier? Not every mom wants to use one, but they are soothing. My boys only used them for the first couple of months before they switched to hands and toys, but it helped to have one handy for those times when something soothing was just necessary!

And finally, it's OK for him to cry. Jarring on your nerves, yes. But you aren't a bad mother just because he is fussy. He's likely over tired from not napping well today (another reason to check temp in the room where you want him to sleep) and you being upset and tired makes it worse, he can feel your mood, so try to relax if you can!

Hang in there Mommy! This will pass and soon you'll be a pro at figuring out what he needs and when he's just crying to cry.

Good luck and get some rest!

I'm a: Time-out giving, Natural Birthing, Pro-BFing, Non-Vaxing, CIO, Homeschooling, Open Minded, Circumcising, God Trusting, All Faith Embracing, 2 Boy Raising, Wed to a Geek, Animal Loving, Techno-Geeky, Forum Addicted, Twittering, Blogging - Mom.

rebeccasmommy09
by Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:53 PM

First of all, congrats on the new lo! :)

Does he stop crying if you're holding him? My dd had a day at about 2 weeks old where she wouldn't stop crying no matter what I did. Normally she would only cry when hungry or when needing a diaper change but that day nothing helped. Thankfully it only happened one day but of course it was the day my dh was out of town until late that night and I was on my own. Don't feel bad. Sometimes babies just cry. We never did figure out why my dd was crying that day but it only lasted for that day. The next day she was back to her usual self.

Hang in there mama!

CafeMom Tickers
babyfat5
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Yeah they just do that. That is why I always say you wait so impatiently to get them out then 2 weeks later wish you could just shove them back in so you can get some peace and quiet and sleep again! Seriously try a sling! That was a lifesaver for me. The swing worked well too. Bouncy chair was another goodie. And if just the bouncy chair doesn't work put the car seat on the washer while it is running (of course hold it there don't walk away! Not that your stupid or anything but some are and I just wanted to clarify) Any way it is kinda like taking them for a car ride.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)