Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions: I Don't Set Up Play Dates for My Kids

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 7:58 PM
  • 2 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you feel badly for not setting up play dates, outside of daycare, school, and other activities, for your kids?

Options:

No, they get plenty of social interaction without them.

No, I prefer to spend our time as a family.

Yes, there's simply not enough time in the day.

Yes, I have trouble meeting people and making these connections.

Other (describe below)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 29

View Results

from the Daily Buzz....

Mom Confessions: I Don't Set Up Play Dates for My Kids

July 31, 2009 at 11:00 AM by Cafe Sheri

mom confessionsIt's time for a Mom Confession — because, let's face it, we're real mothers and sometimes it doesn't work the way the parenting books say it should.

This Week's Confession:

I don't make play dates for my kids.

My husband and I work full time, and my kids are in school/childcare full time. Both the kids get lots of social interaction with other kids at school and their childcare facilities. We attend church, and they do some extra activities like sports part of the year. However, I can't help but feel badly for not setting up additional play dates with their friends. Between work and busy weeknights and weekends, it just seems impossible. At the same time, I'm worried my kids (and maybe my husband and me) are missing out a building richer friendships with other families. -- anonymous

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Betsy858
by on Aug. 3, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I have a sixth grader and she is busy at camp school and soccer part of the year. I use to feel play dates were important so I tried to set thgem up but secretely hoping the other parent would sAy their kid is too busy as well. I use to feel guilty, but then I realized that deep down all the other moms were wispering to their kids-please do not invite a kid over.I think we all are busy and parents do not want to add the responsibility of having to moniter a play date and perhaps parents feel if something hsppens and a kid getshurt they might get sued. Since no other mom has play dates I no longer feel guilty. It seemsxx that is just normal around her and kids know not to invite A child over. Of course I invite for a special occassion. But that is like no more then 3 times a year.If you feel guilty just go to a playground with your kids or mcdonald play land and they will play with some kids.

maryleo9
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Sounds to me like they already have a full social calendar! I wouldn't feel guilty if I were you. Spend some quality time with the hubby and kids. If you have a family or two your close with from church or school then, yes schedule an occasional outing with them but don't worry about it being a regular thing. Sounds like you all spend alot of time with others as it is. Take time for each other and your kids will appreciate the down time in the long run. Studies show kids are more stressed out these days than ever due to full schedules. They need to just play, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)