Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many times have you taken your child to the emergency room?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:10 PM
  • 95 Replies

Poll

Question: How many times has your child been to the emergency room? (If you have more than one, pick a child to vote on or go with your first born)

Options:

Never

1-2 times

3-5 times

6-10 times

11-15 times

16-25

26+ times

My child has specail needs/illness and we have been to the hospital countless number of times

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 179

View Results

I was curious about how many times most children have visited the emergency room? I had a post up yesterday (IOG) about my daughter slipping and cutting her lip and I asked for advice on what I could do besides ice and Tylenol. One group said Popsicles and the other was thought I should have taken her to the hospital. I've noticed that for a lot of post where children are sick with cold, flu, rash, etc that a lot of mothers insist that that mother take her child to the ER. I don't think its necessary to take a child to the ER for every little thing and was curious as to how many times your children have visited. If feel comfortable sharing the info how old is your child and how many times have they been to the ER.. you can share the reason if you like.

-My DD has special needs/illness so I cannot even begin to come up with the number of times we've had to go the ER. Shes five and most visits had to do with her special needs diagnoses. We went once for a bad flu earlier this year and the doctor gave her the wrong drip through her IV and she ended up in the ICU. Shes fine now.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindasmama
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Linda is 2.5 and has been probably 8 times or so and admitted twice..Couple times for ear infections that she gets often and burns  a fever with,other time RSV and and about 5 for staph infections(one req. surgery) and dehydration(admitted again).She has only fell once tha tive taken her to the ER,she was 9months and fell off teh bed and hit concrete steps.

ashleykilleen
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:14 PM

i only took him once he was sick for a couple days with a cough and runny nose then when we were eating dinner he put his head down in the table and fell asleep it was very upsetting because he has NEVER fallen asleep at the dinner table before. Come to find out he had a virus and there wasnt anyhting i could do but wait it out.

-ash

CafeMom Tickers

~Look how far my Little Man has Come~

~*Ashley*~

*Loving Wifey To Chris*

~Wonderful Mommy To Sheamus~

AidanCamsMom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:15 PM

My oldest DS is now 4, but he has been to the emercency room I few times more than he needed to. The first time he went because he needed stitches-he fell on a lego block just right and it cut deep into his right eyebrow. The second time he went to the ER was because he was vomitting and was getting dehydrated. They put him on IV and then sent him home. The next morning he was completely lethargic and they had us bring him back. He ended up being in the hospital for 4 days with high fever and vomitting. The next time he went, he didn't need to go. He was staying with my mother-in-law and she freaks at the slightest sign of a fever. I was NOT happy about that trip. And the last time he went to the ER he had a febrile seizure and they wanted him to be seen. I try not to take him to the ER unless it is absolutely necessary.

Photobucket

dawnjohnson5

With five kids we have been there a lot.

The oldest has had a broken face, broken arm, cellulitis from a spider bite, stomach pump and respiratory failure.

The second had pneumonia with a collapsed lung, broken nose, stitches, a broken arm and broken collar bone.

The third has never been.

The fourth has been for a broken collar bone, stitches and severe dehydration due to RotaVirus.

The fifth has PKU (3MCC) and has been for that, she has kidney reflux, RSV, Pneumonia and an Ecoli infection that almost killed her.

dancer33
My daughters are 13 and 16. My 13 year old has been to the ER 2 and my 16yr has been there 2 times both of them were for ear infections

dancer33
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:16 PM
Quoting dawnjohnson5:

The oldest has had a broken face, broken arm, cellulitis from a spider bite, stomach pump and respiratory failure.

The second had pneumonia with a collapsed lung, broken nose, stitches, a broken arm and broken collar bone.

The fourth has been for a broken collar bone and severe dehydration due to RotaVirus.

The fifth has PKU (3MCC) and has been for that, she has kidney reflux, RSV, Pneumonia and an Ecoli infection that almost killed her.

WOW you have very active kids..LOL Lots of broken bones. Are they boys by any chance?

2boymama
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I have two boys.. so we continuously have injuries but I've never once taken them... in my opinion its more for life or death kinda situations..if we're ever in one I'll take them. I have a friend though who takes her kids I swear once every couple months, for every little thing, things I would never ever take my kids for.. in fact my boy cut his eyelid the other day falling down the house (long story) I gave him an otterpop to hold on it and he was fine..lol. I'm a tough mama.

LoudMouthMomma
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:19 PM

6 year old and 3 year old and have never been.

dawnjohnson5
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Quoting dancer33:

Quoting dawnjohnson5:

The fourth has been for a broken collar bone and severe dehydration due to RotaVirus.

WOW you have very active kids..LOL Lots of broken bones. Are they boys by any chance?

The first three are boys!! 

The first one broke his arm reinacting a stunt from jackass and broke his face playing hide and seek in the dark at church.

The second one took a back swing to the face with a bat, broke his collar bone playing football and stitches from falling.

The fourth is my first girl.  She fell off my bed and broke her collar bone.  She also had stitches to her face from tripping and falling on the corner of my bed frame.

Yes, we have been busy.  Lol

crisak
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:21 PM

*knocking loudly on wood* As mom of 4- 3 of which are boys- for nearly 16 years, I think two trips to the ER is a pretty good track record.  The first trip was due to high fever and lots and lots of bumps for #1.  He was around 9mos at the time and the dr's office was closed.  He was misdiagnosed as having chicken pox.  The 2nd was for stitches on the bridge of #3's nose, he was 2ish at the time.

---------------------------------

Some people are like slinkies-- they're not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)