Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Advice. About goin back to school!

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:43 PM
  • 14 Replies

I am considering goin back to school. I have two kids one will be in preschool and the other will be in 2nd grade. I work part time. And the kids go with sometimes but also enjoy goin to a sitter. My husband is a logger so he is away alot during the week.  My question is do you think that it is being selfish in any way for me to start goin back to school. First online than after a couple of years travelin a hour there to do classes. My kids always come first no matter what. I also help run the local girl scouts troop. And as any mom do anything and everything for my girls. And want them to know that they are first and foremost the most important thing. Any Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kgsharber
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM

By the time you get your basics done (whoch you should be able to do all online) and start attending school, your preschooler will be n school a full day at Kindergarden or in 1st grade, so I would say do it ecause then you can go to school while they are in school.

tyfry7496
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:26 PM

It would be a good idea to start now. Do NOT wait. Your kids will be ok with you going to school, it will also show them how important an education is. You can set aside time to do homework with the kids. They can do their own, look at books or color while you do homework. You can do the classes and work once they are in bed. It won't be easy, but it will be well worth the time and effort. Also, you kids do not need you to entertain them 24/7, they can play with friends, etc. while you are reading your textbooks or doing homework. You can sit outside while they play and do homework. Set up a schedule and stick to it. 

emilysmom8
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:49 PM

It is not selfish to go back to school! I think it's a very selfless thing to do, you are going back to school so you can do better for you family!! 

acissejessica
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:40 PM

my thoughts exactly

Quoting emilysmom8:

It is not selfish to go back to school! I think it's a very selfless thing to do, you are going back to school so you can do better for you family!! 

I'm Slow

Mamamanic
by Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:37 PM

I would not look at is selfish. You are doing it to make more income or be in career that is better for your family.

I liked this answer also.

Quoting kgsharber:

By the time you get your basics done (whoch you should be able to do all online) and start attending school, your preschooler will be n school a full day at Kindergarden or in 1st grade, so I would say do it ecause then you can go to school while they are in school.

nettesmomma
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:16 AM

OMG go back to school!  I myself take online classes throught University of Phoenix.  I'm going to get my BA in psychology now.  In all honesty, the classes and the way you post your homework and what not, is no different then how we chat here.  While the kids are in school you can do you schooling, still have plently of time for work and family.  You could easily gain an associates degree in a year and a half.  GO BACK TO SCHOOL! There is nothing selfish about it, if anything it's selfless.  You would be adding more crap on your plate to help your family.

youngmomma259
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Momma, going back to school isn't at all selfish. It actually benefits your family. So, go for it!!! I would start out doing online classes like you were planning on doing.

Vaxing, co-sleeping, bible believing, army fiancee, pro-life, anti-gay marriage, formula using, high school graduate, college student on my way to being a nurse practioner, 17 years old, loving kind of momma of an (almost) 2 year old princess!

nicksmum1998
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Oh sweetie!! Go back! I did it when my son was in 3rd grade and it's the best thing I have ever done. Of course I go to the college, but that might not work out for you at first. It works for me, my son is going in 5th grade. I go to classes while he is at school. And NO! It's not selfish of you at all! You are doing something wonderful for you and your family. Go for it!!

untitled-1-1.jpg picture by jsemarsh

rkoloms
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Furthering your education is important, and sets a great example for your kids.

The ages of 12-18 are when they will really need you around, much more than right now.

Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you.

Robin in Chicago

TDMumof3
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:49 AM
First taking the Step and putting your mind to Go back to School is the first unselfish thing you Could EVER Do!

Second I am not trying to sell you to the School I go to, But Look into it and all of your other options of course.

I am attending Devry University Online! I love It ! I can log on anytime during the day to get my school work,Work on the assignments while my kids are taking a nap or watching tv.

The staff at Devry Is easy to contact, you have help through the registration process, always willing to work with you.(They even helped me pass my Entrance exam for math). Once you are enrolled and starting classes, the teachers ARE GREAT! They are willing to work with you through your first semester. Always willing to chat through email, or phone whatever is best for you! Along with great teachers, they even provide you with a success coach that calls once a week in your first 2 semesters than lets you take it on your own. Of course your Coach is always WILLING to talk if you need!

Here is the website:
http://www.devry.edu . Good luck in your decision!

tdmumof3siggys
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)