Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

are you a take-out tipper?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:05 PM
  • 69 Replies
I hope this doesn't make me sound cheap, but I was shocked when a friend of mine who works in a restaurant told me how annoyed she gets when people don't tip on take-out orders. She doesn't make less than minimum wage the way servers do, so to me, she's getting paid for her job. I also myself only tip when there's an actual "service" performed, and I don't really consider a person handing me food in a bag to be a service -- I've driven there to order and pick it up, there's no refill/checking on a table to do. So, am I the only one? Do you tip on take-out, and if so, how much?
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acakes
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:08 PM

I do not tip take out orders.  I think they put pressure on people to tip with their tip jars, but it is unnecessary.  Do people tip at McDonalds?  No!  Same service. 

AMarineLovesMe
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Depends on where I'm at.  There are 2 places I go to where my parents live and at both the bartenders will give you free sodas/tea while you wait for your order (they're also the ones who handle the to-go orders) so yes, I tip them.  If it's a place where I called my order in and I just walk in and pay then leave, like Applebees or Chili's, then no.

YourMyTrouble
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:10 PM

I do, because it does take time to get your crap ready. because I have worked as a server in a small Cafe, and we had a lot of take out orders, plus serving people at the same time since there was only one to two servers on, so it did take away time from OUR tables to get your stuff ready and ring you up.

kiddiecare05
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:10 PM

I've never even heard of tiping on take-out until I read this post!

JoyandLove
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I tip for take outs. 

wells75904
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I never tip in take out, I dont tip at sonic or any of those places where I pull up get my order and leave because they dont really wait on you they just hand you your stuff and you go

I own and admin in several groups, see one that interests you? JOIN US!!!

Frugal and Thrifty Moms-This group is a place to come to get recipes, advice, to chat, have fun, let your hair down and talk about cooking, recipes, budgeting, menu planning, and all things related to making our households run more smoothly.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Frugal_And_Thrifty_Moms
May 2005 Children- Come and join us if you have a child born in May of 2005, share the joys, the fears, the challenges of raising 4 year olds! http://www.cafemom.com/group/may2005children
About Frugal Moms Buy, Sell, and Trade Connection-Buy and sell with great prices!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Frugalmomsbuyandsell

Aamy
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:14 PM

If i pick up my food, then no i don't tip. If its delivered to me then i tip the driver. But sorry they aren't doing anything special then just using the register when i come to pick up my food.

dreamerinluv
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Nope !

~~ If I had Skittles in my mouth.......would you come and taste the rainbow ?~~

glitterteaz
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:16 PM

no I dont. I think the whole idea of tipping for take out stupid. What they do is no more than what a cashier does and basically every store. They scan then bag and hand it to you too. Are we going to start tipping them too? I took time and responded to this post and I read it too...Are you going to tip me??? Come on a get serious... if you don't like your pay find another job is my opinion on the whole idea!

.scissorsister.
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:35 PM

you obviously have never worked in a restaurant...when i did take out orders, i did MORE than waitresses do...the only thing i didn't do was bring you a coke and make the food, and i made $3.   so people like you ALSO annoyed me.  you aren't required to tip 20% but is it that hard to throw them $2-3?  you tip the guy who delivers your food, don't you?  do you think he does anything but drive?

Quoting maybebaby15:

I hope this doesn't make me sound cheap, but I was shocked when a friend of mine who works in a restaurant told me how annoyed she gets when people don't tip on take-out orders. She doesn't make less than minimum wage the way servers do, so to me, she's getting paid for her job. I also myself only tip when there's an actual "service" performed, and I don't really consider a person handing me food in a bag to be a service -- I've driven there to order and pick it up, there's no refill/checking on a table to do. So, am I the only one? Do you tip on take-out, and if so, how much?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)