Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Worried About my SO!! He Might be getting a spinal tap *Update in replies*

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:07 PM
  • 11 Replies

Im really worried about my SO. He has been having eye pain when he moves his head for the past week or so, and yesterday when he went to the doc they said they think it was meningitis. They sent him home with another apt on friday but said come back if anything gets worse. Well today he slept until almost noon and when he woke up the brightness (daylight) was killing his eyes and he said he couldnt see right. I couldnt take him to the doc b/c I was watching my two cousins and we wouldnt all fit in the car. Instead a guy he works with took him.

Well my SO just called me to update and they saw some nerves in his eyes were swollen and so they are caling in a neurologist and most likely doing a spinal tap, etc....ugh I am so freaked out and worried for him!!!!!!!

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
naughtyprincess
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I will send good thoughts your way.... ( I do have a personal story if you would like to hear it... I survived bacterial memigitis in the frontal lobe of my brain...)

You've gotta live every single day,Like it's the only one, what if tomorrow never comes?Don't let it slip away,
Could be our only one, you know it's only just begun.Every single day,Maybe our only one, what if tomorrow never comes?
~~~~ Nickleback "If Today Was Your Last Day"

CARA2008
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM

When my youngest son was 8 weeks old he had meningitis and had a spinal tap done. You can die from meningitis in 24 hours so its super creepy your hubands Dr. sent him home without having a spinal tap to determine if it was in fact meningitis! Plus depending on if its viral or bacterial meningitis he could have been super contagious.

I hope everything is ok with him! Please update us when you know something (good news I hope!!!)

princessnyprnc1
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:21 PM

I had the same symptoms. right down to the swollen optic nerves. I have intercranial hypertension. It could e that but its rare. Spinal tap doesnt really hurt, its uncomfortable. Im sure he will be fine.  

kiddiecare05
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:25 PM

He just called, they are sending him to an emergency room that is over an hour away from here in a town I have never been in... they are going to do a CT scan, spinal tap, and all kinds of other tests on him. He will be staying at least overnight, maybe longer depending on what they find. He doesnt want me to come down tonight because he said I probably wouldnt get in to see him anyway b/c of all the testing. I'm soooooooo scared!

Feel free to share any stories, I want to learn as much about what this is as I can. Thanks 

mommam58122
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:26 PM

i have an abnormally large optic nerve i found out this past feburary but my eye dr told me he thinks it looks like the start of glycoma 

Follow me join my groups No Backing down momma's

kiddiecare05
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Ok Im looking online and some of the big symptoms listed are vomiting and rash...my SO doesnt have either of those, so why would the doctor thing thats what this is? 

naughtyprincess
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:15 PM

My story.... Its long.......

Well like I said before I had bacterial Meningitis in the right frontal lobe of my brain....   In October of last year I started having really bad migraines.... Which was normal for me... When I wasnt having the migraine I had sinus infections... Put on antibiotics so we thought things were good... But it kept happening.... The week of Halloween was horrid for me. I was having trouble with light sensitivity, smells, and sounds... When SO was home I was sleeping in a dark room and the girls didnt see me unless he was at work... Well I was in alot of pain ( and Im not good with pain or so we all thought...) I was begging my SO to get pain meds from his friend..( He DID NOT do it...) The entire time I was refusing to go to the dr or ER... the day before Halloween I could not get comfortable on the bed so I tired the couch but that impacted the girls daily life so I would toss and turn on the bed when I wouldnt pass out from pain or just sheer exhaustion.... Well I promised sd that I would take her trick ot treating no matter what... So I called my mom and asked if shed go with me.. We did one block... It was all I could do... But when I got to my moms she asked why my face was swollen and I told her well its probably from the sinus infection.... We went and I could NOT bend down to pick up stuff that was dropped or to tend to my dd who was 1... I came home took some tylonal  the girls got ready for bed and went to bed early.... I felt fine the next couple of days.... The first 4 days of November I could not eat or smell food... I could not stand any noise or light.... SO ( who is a former EMT) was wanting me to go to the ER I refused..... I was trowing up alot.. From the smell of the pillows or the crackers water you name it it made me throw up.... The 4th night I could not get comfortable again on the bed it was about 11 pm and I went out the couch SO was playing W.O.W so I could hear the typing he was doing.... The next thing I remember the EMTs were asking how I was feeling and if I remembered what day, year and month it was.... ( these EMTs have known me my entire life...) I seized on the couch for 5 minutes... I had 2 more before the questioned me... When they asked if I wanted to be taken in ( they would have whether I wanted to or not) I said yes something was just not right... I walked to the ambulance.... got in and layed down and seized a few times on the way to the ER.... I got there and I remember telling everyone that would listen that I had to pee... I wanted to be taken to the bathroom... They put in a catheter.... Well the last thing I said wa I peed my self...  They woke me the best they could to do the spinal tap ( my 1st one) I remember the pressure from it... I guess by that time I had seized enough that they did CT scans, MRIs, blood tests  urine tests.... They got a neurologist in.... MY family was given a 20 to 30 % chance I would survive.... They showed the scans to them and even the dr said my brain looked like swiss cheese.... ( this is what I gathered from the stories and medical reports that I have..) I was there in the er for a few days... On the recommendation of a nurse( I owe her everything) I was transferred and have one of the best neurosurgeons and hospital care.... I was put on life support for a few hours... They did the first surgery took out what they could with out turning my brain to mush.... I was in the neuro ICU with the a very slim chance of waking up.... I was out a week.... I met the drs.... learned of the meds  was on.... What had caused all of this... I have to say that my brain not only had the meningitis but I also had a staff infection.... I was VERY VERY VERY luck I survived at all.... They did a 2nd surgery the day before thanksgiving to remove the pocket that was left... It was minor compared to the 1st one.... All drs are amazed that not only am I back to my NORMAL self but the major major depression that pledged me before is just slight depression... And that I survived.... What makes my life even more worth it is the baby that I wanted so bad before I got so sick and we were trying for is Due in November of this year.... I dont know all of the details and I dont care to know... I do know that I am one lucky person... ( Now yes I know I should not have gotten pregnant.... SO and I discussed this before it happend... We were using protection, I was refused birth control when I asked for it from the drs...But this baby is nothing but a blessing...) Sorry its so long but I do have those migraines still... Im monitored very closely By the neuro surgeon, my ob and a high risk ob...  But after all that has happend and I have been through they are nothing....

You've gotta live every single day,Like it's the only one, what if tomorrow never comes?Don't let it slip away,
Could be our only one, you know it's only just begun.Every single day,Maybe our only one, what if tomorrow never comes?

naughtyprincess
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:16 PM

can he move his head side to side??? Or touch his chin to his chest????

Quoting kiddiecare05:

Ok Im looking online and some of the big symptoms listed are vomiting and rash...my SO doesnt have either of those, so why would the doctor thing thats what this is? 

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:18 PM

I hope he is ok.  I had a spinal tap when I was 3 because they just didn't know what I had.  I didn't have meningitis.  I was in the hospital for 18 days and nearly died. 

kiddiecare05
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Both of those are giving him a hard time, he says it hurts REALLY bad when he does. I guess that is why. Thank you for sharing your story

Quoting naughtyprincess:

can he move his head side to side??? Or touch his chin to his chest????

Quoting kiddiecare05:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)