Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Top 10 Scary Movies: Have you seen them?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:05 PM
  • 20 Replies

Halloween is often more light-hearted and fun than scary. Still, there are those of us who seek the horror-filled thrills of shock and fright. For a good scare, our crack research team at the Daily Top 10 peeks through trembling fingers and lists the most terrifying scary movies.

As always, feel free to disagree or weigh in with your choices in our comments section.

1. The Shining -- One of many unforgettable performances by Jack Nicholson. This Stanley Kubrick classic is a showcase of cinematography, acting, direction and psychological terror.

2. Scream -- A trend-setter. This movie made horror hip with a cast of young stars and an impressive soundtrack. Scream also inspired a Halloween mask that has all but displaced Jason's hockey mask from Friday the 13th.

3. The Ring -- Oh, this one was scary. With long, narrative scenes broken up by flashes of intensely disturbing imagery, this movie easily leaves a lasting impression. The way the ghost girl moves out of the well is so sickly and exaggerated that it may scar you.

4. The Exorcist -- Perhaps one of the best films of all time. The Exorcist not only frightens, but also questions commonly held religious beliefs and makes a statement about the power of evil.

5. Psycho -- What would this list be without Alfred Hitchcock? From this movie we get the shower scene, now clichéd in horror films, as well as that high-pitched sound effect that accompanies knife stabbings.

6. Blair Witch Project -- You never really saw anything scary in this one, just scared people. The directors left it up to the imagination. The concept was interesting, but the unsteady camera was enough to make you sick.

7. Halloween -- There's no forgetting this major movie franchise. Michael Myers predated Jason as the mute, faceless killer. Besides, the name is only fitting. Would we do this list if tomorrow weren't Halloween?

8. A Nightmare on Elm Street -- The original "Nightmare" introduces Freddy Krueger, another horror-movie character who produced real nightmares for plenty of psychologically scarred children. As with many franchises, the first was creative as well as horrifying -- the sequels not so much. It's worth being on the list just for the creepy, sing-song nursery rhyme.

9. Saw -- No, not "Saw 5." Do these things keep coming out? The horror movie sequel is no longer a surprise, though the bloody gore of the "Saw" movies may come as quite a shock.

10. Plan 9 from Outer Space -- So bad, it's scary. This Ed Wood cult classic combines science fiction and zombies to make the most ill-directed movie of all time. Every cinematographic mistake shows up in this movie, from continuity errors to meaningless closeups. The acting is just as bad, to boot.

Have you seen these movies?  Which ones?

Do you let your kids watch scary movies?

What other movie do you think should have made the list?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColtsFan1912
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:07 PM

nope. i dont like hack 'em up scary movies.  i like thrillers. more like The Others or along that genre. they can scare me without blood & gore

"if ever there is tomorrow when we're not together..there is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. but the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. i'll always be with you.” Winnie the Pooh

CoUrtNEyLeE
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I have seen most of those and they aren't that scary! The exorcism of emily rose about makes me shit my pants though!

LiChanelsMommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I've seen all except the last one. I get scared pretty easy, so even Lost creeps me out and I love that show, lol, so most of those movies scared me, except scream and Blair Witch.

Oh and Saw isn't scary... its just disgusting... I don't think theres anything scary about torture. I hate those movies.

naughtyprincess
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I have and seen all of them.... The only one I can not watch is VACANCY.... ( its way to real for me..) I tried and was so paranoid that I had to take my anxiety meds just to calm down... Now I LOVE blood, gut, and gore... The more the better.... I wish there were some really really gory movies.. If you have any please list... I need something new to watch... 

You've gotta live every single day,Like it's the only one, what if tomorrow never comes?Don't let it slip away,
Could be our only one, you know it's only just begun.Every single day,Maybe our only one, what if tomorrow never comes?
~~~~ Nickleback "If Today Was Your Last Day"

LvnDeadGrl
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I have seen all but the last one and honestly, I don't think any of them are scary.

cowboysgirl3227
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:28 PM

1. The Shining -- Loved this movie and I still do but I loved the book more.

2. Scream -- This one was ok it was good to watch once and that is it.

3. The Ring -- This was a pretty good movie although I was not scared by it.  I did like the concept and the story. 

4. The Exorcist -- Great movie!  I found it really fascinating and a little disturbing, I like that :).

5. Psycho -- Nothing like a classic horror flick!  I love Norman Bates and "Mother" LOL. 

6. Blair Witch Project -- When I first saw this movie I had not heard about the fact that it was a fake.  I actually have to admit I fell for it and was scared until I heard about the story behind it and then I was just mad at myself for being scared and not seeing it for what it was  Great idea though.

7. Halloween -- Loved this movie when I was a teenager.  I enjoyed all the "hack em up" movies back then. 

8. A Nightmare on Elm Street --I am a huge Freddy fan!  Though never scary they just appealed to me in my teens.  I did make the mistake of letting my 9 year old sister watch one with me and she would not sleep in her own bed for months.  My mom was not happy with me LOL.

9. Saw -- I really liked Saw and even a few of the sequels have been pretty good.  I am pretty tired of them now though.

10. Plan 9 from Outer Space -- This is the only one on this list that I have not seen and after reading this not sure I will waste my time :)

nmjordan
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:41 PM

I've seen all but the last one. IMO the scariest movie I ever saw was Pet Sematary. I know some people say it's cheesy but to this day I can't watch it.

~ Nicole ~
Mom to Brandon, 
6-25-06
Proud Navy Wife

cowboysgirl3227
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Pet Sematary was pretty scary.  The book is even creepier, bothered me for a few days after I finished reading it.

Quoting nmjordan:

I've seen all but the last one. IMO the scariest movie I ever saw was Pet Sematary. I know some people say it's cheesy but to this day I can't watch it.

giffer
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:44 PM

i've seen them all & the only ones that scared me/freaked me out were blair witch project - it just seemed so real, plus i was watching it by myself in the dark & the ring - it was pretty creepy, i didn't use the VCR for a while.

but SAW isn't scary, just gross & morbid. all the others weren't bad. i don't even know why scream is up there, esp #2 - it wasn't scary at all. it was predictable.

MommyToEthan
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:50 PM

i've seen them ALL.    and i gotta say i dont know why the "blair witch project" is on this list.  that is one of the dumbest movies i've ever seen.

and for the record - i didn't think any of them were all that scary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)