Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heated Debate... What would you do?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:13 PM
  • 33 Replies

My hubby and I are in a heated debate.  Please let me know what you think.  My son is in the 6th grade.  He has a problem bringing books home that correlate with the assigned homework and tests.  This was also a problem last year.  So, tonight hubby got mad because I didn't take the time to go through my sons books when I picked him up from school to make sure he had all the books he needed for the days homework assignments.  I told him that I am NOT going to check his book bag every day (like I did last year) because he needs to be accountable for his own stuff and if he makes a bad grade because of it then he just does.  My hubby thinks that is completely stupid & selfish on my part.  He claims it's because I don't want to take the time to do it.  That has nothing to do with it. Would you check your 11 year old in 6th grade book bag every day?  Please tell me what you would honestly do.  

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandksmommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:16 PM

i think that a sixth grader should be accountable for bringing his books home that he needs. if you keep babying him he will continue. 

blocked and deleted moms join here:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/43560
We don't delete.....

Mrs.LSU
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:18 PM

OH same thing happen to me today with my son.  Hes in 3rd grade and he forgot to bring home his Social Studies.  So i turn the car around and bring him back to school to pick it up. Before he got out of the car i asked him if he forgot anything else. He told me NO.  So we get home and he tells me he forgot his religion work.  He has a test tomorrow.  I am fuming.  It is the kids responsibility to bring home every assignment, not yours or mine.  That is how the learn to be responsible.  Now when my son fails his test and gets punished for it, it will be his fault.  Sorry, i am still upset with him, so i am venting.

kameronsmommy08
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Quoting mandksmommy:

i think that a sixth grader should be accountable for bringing his books home that he needs. if you keep babying him he will continue. 

Yep I agree. What is he going to do in the real world with out his mommy around?! He can't tell his boss" my mom didn't wake me up on time, so I'm late to work". YOu are doing the right thing!

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:20 PM

I am siding with you. I would not be checking for correct homework books for my 6th grader. But I've been like that my kids whole lives, not just homework. They learned very early on how to be accountable and responsible for their actions and themselves in all areas.

whittear
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:25 PM

A sixth grader should be responsible for bringing home what he needs. I would be explaining that to my son and there would be some consequence for him not bringing those things home. Getting a bad grade is bad enough and a big deal to you as mom, but at that age the threat of a bad grade might not be enough to get him motivated to do what needs to be done, so I would implement something at home as well.

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." - Elizabeth Stone           

Allie76
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:30 PM

i would not do it - at this age they need to develop responsibility and accountability.  My dd's 5th grade teacher actually talked about how important it was for the children to take responsbility for their assignments, etc.

PinaiAngelPai15
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Quoting kameronsmommy08:

Quoting mandksmommy:

Yep I agree. What is he going to do in the real world with out his mommy around?! He can't tell his boss" my mom didn't wake me up on time, so I'm late to work". YOu are doing the right thing!

I completely agree!!

4boys1girl985
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:37 PM

i had  the same problem last year with my son he has promised me he will not do it this year they start tommarrow he is also in sixth grade and yes he is responsble for his stuff not me. we talked to his teacher today about this same subject and she also agrees but she also said it might take a coulpe of week i hope not though.

Roxyfoxy36
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:39 PM

You are not being selfish at all. My son will be 11 in November, he is in 5th Grade, and I don't check his bookbag at all. Only to sign his agenda. He need to learn to be responsible for his own books. Yes you can check if he needs help with an assigment or to check up to see if he finish it, but that's it.

How he is going to learn to be responsible if he still depending on you everyday to check his book bag?

QueenKristen
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:07 PM

I am siding with both of you...I tihnk you both should make sure he has what he needs to do his classwork.Also,your son needs to be accountable for his studies.He is in 6th grade.He is old enough to know what he has to do.As a parent,you are also responsible to make sure he does what is required.Ultimately,if he/she fails,so do you.And he/she won't be the only talking to the teacher!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)