• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Look the CDC wants to make it mandatory for infant boys to get circumcised!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM
  • 14 Replies

What is your opinion?

Report: CDC Considers Promoting 'Universal Circumcision'

Monday, August 24, 2009

In an effort to reduce the spread of HIV, public health officials are considering the promotion of “universal circumcision” for all baby boys born in the United States.

The move comes after officials analyzed the results of several studies that show in African countries hit hard by HIV, men who were circumcised reduced their infection risk by half, the New York Times reported. However, those studies focused on heterosexual men who are at risk of getting HIV from infected female partners. The main issue in the U.S. is men who have sex with men.

In 2008, the CDC estimated that more than 56,000 people were newly infected with HIV in 2006 (the most recent year that data are available). Over half of those new infections occurred in gay and bisexual men.

Click here for more facts on circumcision from the CDC.

Meanwhile, critics of the recommendation said it subjects newborn boys to “medically unnecessary” surgery without their consent.

But Dr. Peter Kilmarx, chief of epidemiology for the division of HIV/AIDS prevention at the CDC, told the Times that any step that could stop the spread of HIV must be given “serious consideration.”

“We have a significant HIV epidemic in this country, and we really need to look carefully at any potential intervention that could be another tool in the toolbox we use to address the epidemic,” Kilmarx told the newspaper. “What we’ve heard from our consultants is that there would be a benefit for infants from infant circumcision, and that the benefits outweigh the risks.”

An official draft of the proposed recommendations by the CDC is due out by the end of the year. In the meantime, the CDC is hosting its National HIV Prevention Conference in Atlanta this week.

Click here to read more from the New York Times

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:49 PM

I think that it should be the parents choice. 

I had my son circumsized.

<3 Aubri Stacia & Tyler Joseph <3

LiLVsMoM
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:49 PM

It's stupid and will never happen.

I'm only nice 3 weeks a month, Its now week 4.

STD's are BoP!  But if you're smart you'll sell to a vendor.

Educated moms don't give a flying monkey tard if you choose to circumsize.

Remember cops have no aggro reset, infact the longer they aggro the more adds they spawn.

wells75904
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:55 PM

I had my son circumsized, I think it should be every parents choice, but I do think they have a good argument

I own and admin in several groups, see one that interests you? JOIN US!!!

Frugal and Thrifty Moms-This group is a place to come to get recipes, advice, to chat, have fun, let your hair down and talk about cooking, recipes, budgeting, menu planning, and all things related to making our households run more smoothly.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Frugal_And_Thrifty_Moms
May 2005 Children- Come and join us if you have a child born in May of 2005, share the joys, the fears, the challenges of raising 4 year olds! http://www.cafemom.com/group/may2005children
About Frugal Moms Buy, Sell, and Trade Connection-Buy and sell with great prices!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Frugalmomsbuyandsell

maybebaby15
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:44 PM
I chose not to have my son circumcized. If it became mandatory, I would (without exaggeration) move to Canada. But that's beside the point. The article says they're considering promoting circumcision, NOT making it mandatory. HUGE difference. Promoting it just means recommending it to parents, not requiring it. I am not for that change either, but just wanted to explain the difference.
Amiss67
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:13 AM

I chose not to as well...for my own reasons. There is definately a difference between 'promoting' it and making it 'mandatory'... It's actually rather foolish...It's like them taxing 'fatty' foods because it's risky for overweight folks....etc...

icheeka09
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:15 AM

I believe it should be the parent's decision. Not the fricking government. they control enough as it is

Army_Wife41
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:15 AM

That choice should never be taken from the parents.

I am a BF, formula supplementing, never needed to try the CIO method, vaccinating, one day will try ERF, never going to co-sleep, very loving mother and wife, who tries to not be judgemental, will send my kids to public school, doesn't care about your opinion on the war in Iraq or Afghanistan, supports our troops, married to a soldier, baby making factory...wife to Adam, mommy to Jeremiah and our new baby.

Mazie0723
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Wow the day that goes in action I will pack up my family and leave the US.. I'll be damned if my government is going to tell me what to do with MY kids bodies. It would not include me b/c I will not be having more children but it's my son's penis his choice not mine or anyone elses.

Mazie0723
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:29 AM

The study was done in Africa not America.  How do they know it would be the same here?? They don't!

Quoting wells75904:

I had my son circumsized, I think it should be every parents choice, but I do think they have a good argument

rivergirl138
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 6:39 AM

"Recomend" doesn't mean you have to have your son's circed if you don't want to. They can't force you to have this done if you don't want done to your son's.

River

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)