Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vaccines

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:46 PM
  • 92 Replies

Has anyone else heard that vaccines can cause autism. I am fine and I had chicken pox. Why did I only need 7 vaccines and my child will need 36? When is it going overboard with medicating the world. No I am not one of those people that wont go to the doctor when I am sick, but when is enough enough?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:48 PM

popcorn

The way to help the world is to start with your own family. ~Mother Teresa

AutymsMommy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Vaccines do not cause Autism. This has been disproven several times now. It is possible that certain vaccines create an onset of Autism in a child who is already predisposed to Autism, but no vaccines actually form the disorder.

As for the number of vaccines, I personally am willing to give my child anything that could prevent something even more horrible. The benefits outweigh the risks to us. The *possibility* of a side effect from one of the vaccines is less than the *probability* of a bad outcome should one of my children not be vaccinated and contract one of the preventable diseases.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

mhoeller
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:54 PM

I work with people with disabilities every day so it is a very big reality to me and I worry about it probably more than the average person. If there is a possibility that they cause autism why don't they take them off the market until more research has been done. Why do schools require me to put my child through that risk?

AutymsMommy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Lol, you aren't hearing me.

It has been DISPROVEN that vaccinations cause Autism. They do not cause Autism.

And even if they DID cause Autism in a very small population, you would have them pull the vaccines that keep MILLIONS safe from infectious diseases?

Quoting mhoeller:

I work with people with disabilities every day so it is a very big reality to me and I worry about it probably more than the average person. If there is a possibility that they cause autism why don't they take them off the market until more research has been done. Why do schools require me to put my child through that risk?

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

anetrnlov
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:00 PM

For someone who is so worried I would think you would be more informed on the topic.

Unless you live in West Virginia or Mississippi your schools cannot REQUIRE you to give your child any vaccines as all states but the two previously listed offer medical, personal/religious exemptions for vaccinations.  Religious and Personal do not have to be proven.  West Virginia and Mississippi are the only states that offer only medical exception which has to be documented and signed off by a physician.

Quoting mhoeller:

mhoeller
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Ok I get that it doesn't cause but it has been linked to it. The diseases are getting stronger because of all of our vaccines.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

And even if they DID cause Autism in a very small population, you would have them pull the vaccines that keep MILLIONS safe from infectious diseases?

Quoting mhoeller:

mhoeller
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I have just recently become interested in this subject before a couple weeks ago I didn't know that vaccines were linked to autism. I know they can't "require" , but schools and physicians can make your life hell for going against the grain.

Quoting anetrnlov:

For someone who is so worried I would think you would be more informed on the topic.

Unless you live in West Virginia or Mississippi your schools cannot REQUIRE you to give your child any vaccines as all states but the two previously listed offer medical, personal/religious exemptions for vaccinations.  Religious and Personal do not have to be proven.  West Virginia and Mississippi are the only states that offer only medical exception which has to be documented and signed off by a physician.

Quoting mhoeller:

mhoeller
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Keep in mind I am not against vaccines I am just looking for other peoples opinions on the subject.

anetrnlov
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM

That isn't completely true.  Many of the diseases we vaccinate for we do not even see if first world countries.  Those diseases that are becoming more resistant is more likely to do with mis-use/over-use of antibiotics, though vaccines play a factor they are not the entire cause.  Another cause would be the constant evolution of cells.

Quoting mhoeller:

Ok I get that it doesn't cause but it has been linked to it. The diseases are getting stronger because of all of our vaccines.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting mhoeller:

anetrnlov
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Some, not all.  In my experience....the docs I worked with always seem to push the vaccine issue more when a parent didn't vaccinate because they were just too damn lazy to take their kid to the doctor, they didn't care one way or another if their kid got them.  For our parents who had strong personal convictions...they were required to go over the risk of not having the vaccine and the benefits of vaccinating and the parents had to sign a form stating that they were refusing the vaccine but that was usually it.

As far as the schools, most school staff and nurses (unless the hold a personal interest in regards to vaccines) do not know what they are talking about anyway.

Quoting mhoeller:

I have just recently become interested in this subject before a couple weeks ago I didn't know that vaccines were linked to autism. I know they can't "require" , but schools and physicians can make your life hell for going against the grain.

Quoting anetrnlov:

Quoting mhoeller:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)