Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Discipline for a 20 month old, nothing is working PIOG

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:59 PM
  • 4 Replies

So I have an almost 1 month old ds and a 20 month old dd. My dd has always been my angel, so good natured, I KNOW her routine and life has been put in a tailspin, but I am doing the best I can we cosleep with both and I EBF my ds, and dd is absolutely not listening to ANYTHING I tell her, if I say no she does it more, including kicking her brother etc. I have tried explaining to be gentle, showed her how to be gentle, showed her appropriate ways to touch (kissing, hugging, etc.) and even as a last resort a swat on the hand or leg (which I DETEST especially at her age). I am at my wits end nothing works. Any advice? No bashing please

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
WanziesMommie
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Uh Oh!  not sure about this.....i didnt have discipline problems with my son at that age..not until 2 1/2  but its different at that age i guess.  Maybe u can sit her down for awhile until she's ready to be nice or have her play with her toys by herself  and just let her know why she's sitting.....a little time out.....doesnt hurt!!!  I was a pre-school teacher for years....different things work on different kids!!

ShellyABean
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:14 PM

My daughter is 21 months old, and over the summer I was helping a friend out by watching her little 3 month old 2 days a week...and boy oh boy my dd did not like it and acted out a lot, so I can only imagine what you are going through.

I would try and see if you can get her to help you with the new baby...I found this really worked with my daughter.  If I would be changing a diaper I would actually get down on the floor and do it so she could "help" - she would get me the wipes and would then throw the dirty diaper in the trash - I think it made her feel like a big girl and a helper.  I would also try to give her some special quiet time with you alone.  Maybe when the new baby is napping make sure you take some time to sit down and read a book or play quietly...just the two of you. 

I found that the more I let my daughter "help" the better she behaved...even if it is as simple as letting her get a diaper for the little baby...it made her feel important.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:52 PM

wave

Thank you for posting on the group!  We're glad you're here!

You may also want to post on  these CafeMom Groups:
Toddlers & Preschoolers 

We suggest joining and meeting other Moms in these Recommended Groups, too!

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

The search bar at the top of every page can be used to search for specific information.

We hope you're enjoying the site!

- The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

staynhomewith2
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Sounds like jealousy to me. I went through similar issues with my son when my daughter was born. He was 22 months when Kayla was born. Does your DD have a doll? I agree with the PP that having her help out might help. Also if she is changing her baby as you change the real baby it might help out too. Good luck! I know it is a hard transition having a new baby in the house and your DD is not the one and only anymore! That seems hard for them to grasp. Just speaking from experience.

My kids are 2 and 4 now and play great together. There is light at the end of the tunnel :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)