Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just got glasses, please help!

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:49 PM
  • 15 Replies

I just got glasses for the first time in my life. We picked them up today and when I put them on today I thought they made my vision worse until I realized I could read things that were much farther away than I was used to. However, I have to keep taking them off because I feel like my eyes are straining; they kind of hurt after a while. Did I get the wrong perscription? Is this normal? I CAN see clearer because now I can see individual leaves on trees etc which is awesome, but other stuff seems weird....and will I get used to this "looking through a window" feeling? Thanks ladies and sorry if this sounds stupid but this is all new to me.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandksmommy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:51 PM

i felt the same way when i got my first pair. just keep them on all day and you will get used to them. 

blocked and deleted moms join here:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/43560
We don't delete.....

GingerNeeSmith
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Give it time to get your eyes adjusted to them. I have worn my glasses for years and I still have trouble with the glare. If you wear them like the dr says and it isn't better in a week so two call them and tell them what the trouble is.

LvnDeadGrl
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:59 PM

It is normal. I know any time I get new glasses the same thing happens to me. Just try to wear them continuously for the next day or so and see if the feeling improves.

Join me at The Asylum!

possummom
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:00 PM

just keep them on. your eyes will adjust fairly quickly. take some tylenol of your head starts to hurt. you will be okay. i have been wearing them since the 7th grade lol. i finally found a pair that suits my small face.

ForeverMeme
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Oh hon I remember my first pair! I swore it was the wrong prescription, I was walking funny, and everything else! It was hell but I left them on and by the third day they were perfect! Good luck!

MaMaCathy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:03 PM

It'll be okay.  I even felt a little queasy when I first wore mine.  Take care.

kiddiecare05
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Thanks ladies I feel sooo much better now!

bloodroze
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:08 PM

I have worn glasses since i was about 13 years old (I am now 21) everytime i get a script for them this happens you need to keep them on so that yoru eyes can adjust to them. If you dont keep them on atleast untill your eyes adjust properly you will never get used to the way things look. This is just my personal experiance with glasses. I have to wear them from the time i get them till the time i go to bed and the put them on first thing the next morning. or my eyes never adjust properly

pammy32953
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:12 PM

i have worn glasses since i was 2 1 am about to be 37 everytime i get new ones this happens it will be ok in a couple days expect a headache ok good luck

Witchyc_78
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 7:45 AM

The best time to put on new glasses is first thing in the moring and keep them on all day.  That is the only way you can retrain your brain.  I work for an optomestrist and the the opticians always say people don't give their glasses enough time be it a new prescription or a changed on (like to progressive, or adding astigmatism correction).  It can take up to two weeks to adjust to them.  If after two weeks you are still having issues, then go back to you optomitrist and explain the situation, and the prescription will be adjusted if needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)