Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My front door opend right into my living room. Need ideas for making an "entryway"

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 2057 Total Views

I am sooo glad I found this group! Me and hubby bought our home over a year ago and i'm still trying to find solutions to it's little "problems" we have a huge rectagular living room with the from door opening onto the far wall. The living area is directed towards the oposite wass with the TV. I will add pics when I figure out how.

So my question is this: barring putting up a wall, is there a way I can make the space "feel" seperated? I have a pretty coat rack on the wall behind the door when it's opened you can't see it. Then I have a decorative bench with a wicker basket to catch gloves, hats, etc.

I was thinking about backing up my small loves seat against whe traffic flow of the front door.

Later I want to build a little way to space it off.

I hope my descriptions help.

Basically I want some type of foyer when there is none.

Stephanie, come join the discussion about all the reality tv trainwrecks http://www.cafemom.com/group/107861/ 

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bella36
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:54 PM

This pic is close, except I have no staicase and I have the furniture facing the opposite way.

Stephanie, come join the discussion about all the reality tv trainwrecks http://www.cafemom.com/group/107861/ 

JustGail
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:43 PM

the only thing i can really think of barring putting up a division wall.....is a different flooring in the area you want to dedicate to the "entrance way".....maybe a semi circle of tile work.

flirtylingerie_2039_1041798643.gif picture by taratalnenetz

Cindy920
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:38 PM

My living room sounds similar to yours.  I have my sofa partitioning off the area.  If you have the space, you can put a sofa table behind your sofa, making it look nice from both sides. Or, the shelf system in the picture below; this one is in my daughters bedroom, but you can add nicer looking baskets for all the stuff that accumulates at the front door - it comes in different sizes and colors to match your decor'.  Further down the road depending on how much space you have and how much you want to spend, you can always build a 1/2 wall (40" tall) and put down different flooring (ex. tile is great).  Good luck:)d

mommybgood
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2010 at 1:15 PM

In the latest issue of DIY Ideas (my FAVORITE decorating mag) they had a room where they built in the IKEA Expedit shelves to look like they were custom units....love this idea for a more permanent dividing wall....I can't find it on line, but I would DEFINATELY take a look in the magazine when you're at the store!

bella36
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 1:23 PM

OOOH, I love this idea, I also went and re-arrranged my couch like cindy said, now I just need to get a sofa table. Thanks mommas.

Quoting mommybgood:

In the latest issue of DIY Ideas (my FAVORITE decorating mag) they had a room where they built in the IKEA Expedit shelves to look like they were custom units....love this idea for a more permanent dividing wall....I can't find it on line, but I would DEFINATELY take a look in the magazine when you're at the store!

nyebe
by Member on Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Every time when you have plan to decorate your home it is more exciting if all family participate on the work and you can also set this as your family bonding.

MOVERS BOSTON

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)