Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trying to work with what I have...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:32 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 357 Total Views

I have been trying to decorate the fireplace for a while now and loved all the suggestions everyone gave!  I am on a budget and told my husband I would try to work with what I have.  I did order 2 new espresso candle holders that are a little larger than the ones pictured that will replace the ones I have.  I also have a new vase for the flowers on the way that is a biege/greenish color that will replace the clear vase the flowers are in currently.  Someone suggested silver dollars and I liked how they looked!  I just worry they blend into the wall too much.  What does everyone think?  I only have 2 pictures I could use above the fireplace to hang, but I just don't think they will work out. But I told my husband I'd give it a try.  I just think the reddish flowers picture is too small and the white flowers picture is too narrow.  *sigh*  I've been thinking of getting a professional family picture done and framing that to put above the fireplace, too.  I wanted to have this done before both our families fly out here in a couple weeks.  Any help and more suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mommybgood
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:45 PM

If I had to chose between the two pics, I would use the second one becuase of the height..I think it would be great until you get your family portrait!

I think you're hunch about the silverdollars is right....have you tried some darker branches or curly willow type??? I saw some neat tall square heavy glass vases in the floral dept at Walmart...maybe fill the base with some stones and pop in the twigs???

That with the chunkier candle sticks should balance things out.

Beautiful woodwork BTW:) 

caham
by Owner on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Shelly said just about everything that I was going to say. Are you going to mount the picture? I think you would be happier if you hung it and centered in the middle and you might be surprised how it look there. I do think the flowers aren't right because as you said they tend to blend in too much.  The candles aren't in proportion to that space, but it sounds like you have that covered!

Christine - Group Owner of Home Decor and so Much More!

wolfmomma30
by Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:56 PM

I like the first photo simply because it has orange in it. LOL. I know that sounds silly but adding a splash of a bold color I think always enhances neutral colors.

Check out my group!! Savings for the Holidays

TheJerseyGirl
by Admin on Jan. 26, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I like the second pic and also think you should hang it. Something else in the vase maybe. I think once you get the bigger candle holders and eventually the family portrait it'll look perfect. There's nothing wrong with using what you have.

litninbug
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 2:17 PM

The second picture shown would be nice in the middle panel with two candly sconces in each panel on the 2 sides of it. Or else if you could 4 small square framed pictures to hang ( 2 on each side and underneath, each other.  Good luck!!!!

litninbug

mzbarker2
by Member on Jan. 29, 2010 at 10:49 AM

You may have finished the fireplace but I wanted to put in my two cents.  Our grocery store (krogers) now has accessories and have pics very similar to your very inexpensive.  I would not go completely symmetrical.  get  a smaller pic , in the same color frame or get a LARGER mirror in a similar frame .  Set the mirror in center. set the picture in front of it a little off set.  Then your pair of candleholders on one side with the vase, darker flowers on the other side. 

Now if you want a big change, I would suggest that you faux paint the mantle surround, making it look like maybe a neutral stone color.  This would give it a little life.  This is what I see.  Its very white and has no life!!!  Those are me quick suggestions!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)