Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shabby chic bedroom

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:00 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 1700 Total Views

I am doing a pink and green shabby chic bedroom for my 9 year old DD. So far I have the furniture basics (dresser, mirror, 4 post full size bed, night stand, and small book case), bedding set, and curtains. I don't have ANY decor for the walls or shelves. Any suggestions?? The walls are staying white. The dresser, night stand and one of the shelves are going to be light green. The bed, book case, and one of the shelf will be light pink. I have DD's name in pink to go on the wall and a large flower wall sticker. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
patnic
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Does she have any older books that she loves?  Perhaps, frame some pages that she really loves. 

Maheli
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:02 AM

a nice lamp in those color and lots of pillows,maybe white pillows with attached color flowers not flower patterned pillows.

caham
by Owner on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Is there a reason you want to keep the walls white? It looks like a lot of white, carpet, walls, ceiling, ceiling fan...

xElizabethx
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM

She loves to read but I can't think of any books that would work for that. I'll have to ask her! Great idea though!! I keep thinking of old picture books and botanical books. I'm thinking I should check out the library for old books there for sale.

I have a bunch of fabric for the room that I'm going to turn in to pillows and recover a chair.

The only reason I don't want to paint is because of the high ceilings. I don't have anyone to help me and I can't get on a chair/ladder because of my balance issues from my MS. It is QUITE a lot of white! If I did paint the walls I think I'd head towards the yellow family. I tried painting in our old house (we moved last fall) and it just turned in to a huge mess. I evidently am not very good at it. I just don't want to do a crappy job. Before we moved in the walls were all sprayed white so they aren't marked up now.

Caydens_momma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:01 AM

think repurposing...like an old door in antique white for the headboard..old frames with no glass hung around a plate...

Thats all i can think of now. But i will be thinking about it.

serendipityDFK
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Beautiful bones to the room, love the angles.

Even though there are high ceilings I would be more apt to want to paint the walls (school is almost out, there might be some very reasonable college students who could paint-jobs are pretty scarce and some part time painters are begging for jobs). I would also lean toward leaving the furniture white because it will cost a lot more to re-do furniture when she changes her mind a few years from now and doesn't want green furniture. White goes with anything.

If you go to Goodwill ,Salvation army, Ross, TJ Maxx or Marshalls you could probably find an ugly huge painting for not much money. Paint over whatever awful picture is there and let your daughter,sibs,friends create a masterpiece with acrylic paints.  Home Depot has 2nds in colours that someone didn't buy or comeback for that can be reasonable.You could use that for the base but would need to buy some acrylics for the kids to use over that background.

When she gets sick of it, paint it white and start over. My 14 year old has a huge canvas we bought at an Aaron Brothers sale (buy 1 of anything get another for 1 penny!). She and sleepover friends painted it in colours I strongly suggested by only offering certain acrylics,and it changes all the time with new messages or signatures. You could even add 3 D items like flowers, jewels, photos etc. Fun and definitely unique and colourful. You could add a Title or quote about friendship or flowers etc...

DFK DESIGN & DOVE CHOCOLATE DISCOVERIES
INDEPENDENT CHOCOLATIER # 8351
DFKDESIGN@MSN.COM
www.dovechocolatediscoveries.com/denisekelce
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Shabby Chic Decor White Wall Plates

What about a grouping of framespainted pink, green, off white.. with maybe different color ribbons to attach to wall.. way to add color without painting room.  Also, if you are afraid of ladder standing- what about painting lower portion of room and getting chair rail -(like picture below)... (whoops... now that pic is bigger, I see it is wainscot-but you get the idea)- but reverse.. white on the top?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)