Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Front Door, Help

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:54 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 1350 Total Views
We are installing a front door. I'm not sure what color to paint it. I'm thinking my only option is white. The house is white with black shutters on the second floor and none on the first floor, the porch has black wrought iron railings and a gray porch floor. What makes it hard for me to be sure about a color is the color on the other side of the front door. The color is in the red family I guess, with a bit of a rust color... Maybe it's like a brick red. Any suggestions? Thanks!
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poptart106
by Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:54 PM
Bump
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Red? Green? Gray? Black? yellow? Blue?
Benjamin moore and Sherwin williams both have really helpful websites that let you upload a photo of your house and you can "fake" paint your door with one of their colors on the computer screen... so you can see what it WILL look like... it is really neat.  I just did it for my house since we just had house painted and I had 3 doors to paint...and I was so undecided....
let us know what you choose.... :)

thismamacooks
by New Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 3:47 AM

How abot using the same color as the other side of the door? I think it would olok great witth your white and black, a real "POP" of color....Joette

poptart106
by Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 3:30 PM
I originally wanted a red door but because of the room I didn't want red opening up into a red room. The yello is nice. Did you do both sides of your doors the same color? Would that be weird if I did the outside one color and the other side white?

Quoting SamMom912:

Red? Green? Gray? Black? yellow? Blue?Benjamin moore and Sherwin williams both have really helpful websites that let you upload a photo of your house and you can "fake" paint your door with one of their colors on the computer screen... so you can see what it WILL look like... it is really neat.  I just did it for my house since we just had house painted and I had 3 doors to paint...and I was so undecided.... let us know what you choose.... :)

poptart106
by Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 3:41 PM
Actually, I meant the "other side of the door" being the walls, not the door.
Quoting thismamacooks:

How abot using the same color as the other side of the door? I think it would olok great witth your white and black, a real "POP" of color....Joette

clockwatcher
by Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM

My sister had a red front door and I always felt that it was warm and welcoming. If you didn't want an apple red you could go for more of a burgandy. There are plenty of shades to choose from.

poptart106
by Member on Sep. 2, 2010 at 7:46 PM

But the problem is that the room on the inside of the door is a brick red.  I don't know what color would really match that.  I'm wondering if I wanted for example, a yellow door would it be weird if I did the yellow on the outside and white on the inside?

Linds2Horse
by Member on Sep. 10, 2010 at 4:26 PM

No, it's not wierd to have two colors at all. My front door is red on the outside and white on the inside.  (The thin sides of the door are white, btw.)

Do you have moulding in that room? You can always paint the inside of your door to match your moulding.

TheJerseyGirl
by Admin on Sep. 10, 2010 at 6:38 PM

My door is burgundy on the outside, white on the inside. I never even notice the difference!

I think a red or black would look great!

campeno
by Admin on Sep. 11, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Red would be perfect, IMO, but anything really goes with a white house and black shuttters. The other side of the door doesn't have the be the same, nor does it need to match the interior wall color.  If the exterior door was white it would look very blah as nothing would "pop." The front door is the focal point of hte house...you want to draw the eye to it from the street:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)