Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Mom Cave - Living Room

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:10 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 544 Total Views

Note: I wasn't sure if we were suppose to post our end results in the Mom Cave thread or create a new post, so I'm doing both)

I finished my HomeGoods mom cave yesterday and I’m really happy with how much nicer my living room feels. I’m sitting in here now and it feels so much more comfy and relaxing.  I’ve never done anthing like this before and it was a lot harder than I anticipated (mainly because of the pressure of so many people seeing my final outcome) but I had a lot of fun.

I spend my personal time reading and CafeMomming (that is a verb, isn’t it?) in either my living room or my bedroom because they are quiet rooms but at the same time they are also very boring rooms, desperately in need of some decorating.  I really didn't know which room to go with so I decided to pre-shop and select a favorite piece for my living room and for my bedroom. Then I would choose my room based on the inspiration piece that I liked the most.  Almost immediately I found a large, bold, floral canvas that I liked for my living room, and I found two lamps that I loved for my bedroom. (see pictures) I decided to think about it for a few days while I waited for my card to arrive, but during that time I was really leaning towards making my bedroom my Mom Cave, but…

When I want to buy the lamps I found a beautiful Jacobean rug that beckoned to me from across the store. It was nearly identical to a rug that I fell in love with last year (that I wanted to buy), but it was HALF THE PRICE!  Time to change my design plan and room because that rug came home with me.  The large, floral print that I liked - the one that would have been my living room inspirational piece - was too bold for the rug, but I found the same print in a smaller size and I got that one instead.

My next step was to address my naked windows. Even though we live on a few acres, I still feel like my neighbors are staring at me when I’m in my living room at night so I’ve avoided sitting in that room after dark.  My living room has 4 large picture windows so I wasn’t able to find enough matching panels, but I was able to find the curtain rods I needed.  The rods were at least 50% less than simliar rods found at national chains, which is a huge savings since I needed 4.

With $40 remaining I purchased some accessories for my room and only went $2.50 over.  Here are the items I purchasesd:

Fireplace before:

Fireplace after:

Before:

After:

I wasn't able to use the green filial. I originally bought it for my end table but it didn't look right.  I had a the vase and flowers in my bedroom so I moved them to the table, and the mirror above my fireplace is an old mirror I had in my horse trailer.  Looking at these picture I think the couch needs a pale blue pillow to bring out the pale blue color in the rug. I think I'll return the filial and get a couch pillow instead.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rhyne
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:35 PM
WOW!!! It looks so cozy! I love that rug, and I do think a pale blue pillow would look great! Great job!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomsTaxiAndATM
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Very nice!!!! :-P I need to get a camera so I can post mine!! :-0 Hubbys is broken and my dd`s is at her dads :-( You did a great job with your mom cave!

psych_mom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:17 PM

This turned out great! I love the way the rug makes the room pop. I think some matching blue pillows would look great on the sofa.

mom2ashnbran
by New Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:23 PM

That rug really did amazing things, it looks very nice.

billssweety
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Boy that looks GREAT everything you got REALLY pulled your room together!!!  GREAT job!!

Linds2Horse
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Thank you. I'm glad you all like it. I've never shared my 'after' pictures before so I was a bit nervous that everyone would hate it.

TheJerseyGirl
by Admin on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:57 PM

that rug is just gorgeous! I'm sure it would have been calling me from across the room too! It all looks beautiful!

caham
by Owner on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Great job!

LilMissCupcake
by Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:00 AM

i agree with everyone else you did a great job

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)