Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to do about my kitchen???

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:13 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 943 Total Views

O.K., so I would totally love to have the budget to redo my whole kitchen but I don't.  That said, I believe with a small budget, lots of elbow grease, and a creative eye, I can make my kitchen look great.  So here's what I have to work with.  Cabinets that should be replaced but for now (and maybe for the whole time we live here) will only be repaired, a 1980's 8x8 whit tile w/ black grout flooring, mis-matched appliances (the diswasher mostly likely to be the first replaced), a gray Formica countertop (which can be replaced in about 2 years), white walls, and a totally dysfunctional 6'7" wall. Pic's below

I feel so embarrased posting this (above) picture!  This is such an eye-sore in soooo many different ways, but please remember I want to change it for the better.

I am a Candice Olson fan so here are a couple of inspirations I've had.

http://www.hgtv.com/video/facelift-for-a-tiny-kitchen-video/index.html

the above is a link to a short video

I was seriously considering putting wall paper and 3 shelves on my useless 6 ft wall.  this is the wall paper I was gonna use (I haven't purchased yet)

I already painted the bottom cabinets black, which I hope was not a mistake I was going to re-paint the top cabinets white and then add matching hardware (IDEAS PLEASE) and the walls a lighter shade (from the counter tops) of gray.  Get some stainless steel trash/recycling cans (why the hell are they sooo expensive???) and some sort of window treatments for the small window and door (AGIAIN, IDEAS PLEASE).  There's enough room to add an island but have yet to find one (not that I've put much effort in looking) with the proper dimensions and coloring not to mention that I would be most satisfied if it included a breakfast bar.

When we have more money I would then like to replace the kitchen facute (IDEAS), have a combo hood/mirowave (IS THAT A GOOD IDEA FOR RE-SALE???), granite (question about granite tile later) countertop and mosaic glass back splash.

If and when we have more money after that, new appliances (do I go black or stainless steel, remember I'm trying to figure out the best money invested for resale) and then new flooring (IDEAS)

and if we have more money after that, which most likely is never, new cabinets, including a pantry on the current useless 6 ft wall.

Sorry this is so long!!!! I have lots of ideas and questions and I absolutely LOVE this group.  It's been difficult to find someone to talk to about decorating ideas other than my mother (which are good but a little dated) and I love decorating, finding good deals, and making money from hard work (which I plan to do with a resale)

Oh, one more thing,  I'm thinking my house might be on the traditional side (fireplace post) if I need to post more pics for you ladies to get a better idea just let me know!  I wondering if my kitchen ideas are not congurent with the rest of the house.

I'M SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QuiltLover
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:24 PM

I was going to suggest that you take down the shelf and install a desk area but then I saw the picture of that exact thing..must be a good idea.....In the dining area I would also suggest an accent wall behind the table and chairs(maybe in the red family) and also so the wall where the "desk area" might be in the same color. Your curtains would have to be pretty simple on the window and the door since your wallpaper is of the busy nature. You can do it..you will get good ideas from the girls in here..bump the post if it goes stale, they may be busy at the moment.

Rhyne
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:29 PM
Have you thought about getting a hutch for the wall? Ikea has some great ones at a pretty good price too.
Another member painted her counter tops with a special paint from Lowes, I went to check it out and the guy said he used it, and it works GREAT! Plus, it's only $20!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caroline78
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Quoting QuiltLover:

I was going to suggest that you take down the shelf and istall a desk area but then I saw the picture of that exact thing..must be a good idea.....In the dining area I would also suggest an accent wall behind the table and chairs(maybe in the red family) and also so the wall where the "desk area" might be in the same color. Your curtains would have to be pretty simple on the window and the door since your wallpaper is of the busy nature. You can do it..you will get good ideas from the girls in here..bump the post if it goes stale, they may be busy at the moment.

you know, I've never thought of making the wall behind the table an accent wall because that wall will lead you to the garage but if i combine the "useless" wall by making it the same color, i think it would work.  I combine the two rooms with two walls but the same color.  I absolutely love the red family idea. but the carpet in all the rooms is blue with a hint of gray.  I don't have any plans to replace the carpeting in the bedroom/office since they are in good condition so does it make sense to paint red? I recently redid the bathroom with a wall color in the blue famliy.  But, I also repainted the exterior of my home in a very nuteral green with a red door.  I wish I knew about this group before I started some of these projects.  I just keep thinking resale.  that said, wall paper, even if on one wall is probably not a good idea, right?

Caroline78
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:42 PM

you just paint over the formica?  What color would you suggest?

QuiltLover
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:51 PM

red and grey go well together...maybe a slate blue? i like the red, tho, just because it "pops" the rooms , my kitchen has red and i love it..and basically I am NOT a red person, but in the kitchen..YEP

Caroline78
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Quoting Rhyne:

Have you thought about getting a hutch for the wall? Ikea has some great ones at a pretty good price too.
Another member painted her counter tops with a special paint from Lowes, I went to check it out and the guy said he used it, and it works GREAT! Plus, it's only $20!

I like the hutch idea but I have a server on a somewhat adjecnt wall so I'm not sure if that would "work"

Caroline78
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Quoting QuiltLover:

red and grey go well together...maybe a slate blue? i like the red, tho, just because it "pops" the rooms , my kitchen has red and i love it..and basically I am NOT a red person, but in the kitchen..YEP

O.K, so I'm beginning to feel a connection with you, LOL, no to get too emotional :-). I think I hate red, but for some reason, love it as an accent color. which is why I've always purchased in green and neutral with red accents.  This blue carpet is throwing me a loop.  I begin thinking primary  color decor (red, yellow, blue) or should I do a consecutive 3 color on the color wheel - green, blue, purple or yellow, green, blue?  If I'm going to have the entire layout of my home (only 1600 sqft. not to be a problem) match then I need to decide asap what color scheme to work with and which style.  That's my delema!!!!

Caroline78
by Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Just wanted to give my post a little bump :-)

psych_mom
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:16 AM

How about finding a paintable wall paper for your backsplash? There are some great "prints" (embossed designs) that you could get and since it is such a small space you wouldn't be out much money. You could also bring in a little more color by doing this. You could paint your counter tops black to look like slate. I love red, but with the colors that you have in here, I think that a deeper blue would also look good in here.

This is one of the dining rooms Candice has done. I love her decorating as well.

Caroline78
by Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Quoting psych_mom:

How about finding a paintable wall paper for your backsplash? There are some great "prints" (embossed designs) that you could get and since it is such a small space you wouldn't be out much money. You could also bring in a little more color by doing this. You could paint your counter tops black to look like slate. I love red, but with the colors that you have in here, I think that a deeper blue would also look good in here.

This is one of the dining rooms Candice has done. I love her decorating as well.

gourgous dinning room!  and I like the color scheme.  until this post I had never heard of painting over a formica countertop.  do you have experience with that?   how durable is that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)