Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Repairing cabinets question.

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:25 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 269 Total Views

I wish I could replace but unfortunately I can only repair.  I was thinking about using caulking.  What do you suggest???

this gap is at the top of the cabinet near the ceiling

Again, the gap is at the top of the cabinets near the ceiling but the previous owner seems to have used some sort of sealant on the side.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
QuiltLover
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:00 PM

I don't see why you couldn't use a paintable caulk and then paint after the drying time suggested.

Caroline78
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:10 PM

That's what I was thinking!  I think I'll move forward with that idea unless someone tells me why I shouldn't. 

caham
by Owner on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM

I think that would work, but that isn't an area I have a lot of knowledge in.

Christine - Group Owner of Home Decor and so Much More!

tnlizard
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 6:53 AM

I had the same problem as you....I used caulk, and while it was wet...I'd wet my finger and run it along the caulk line to make sure it was smooth.  After it dried, I painted it the same color as the cabinets....you can't tell it's there.

Good luck....it's a easy, cheap, fix until you can replace or do something else with it.

Tea4Tas
by Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Chaulking is sometimes called carpenter in a can by tradespeople. It is meant to be used to fix up minor imperfections and seal gaps. Use the paintable kind and smooth it with a moist finger (practice first) have plenty of papertowels handy. Prime and paint.

HOWEVER do be aware that some moldings intentially leave a gap for interest. If the gap is even over the run of the cabinets, it was probably meant to be there (especially in an older home) It provides contrast and makes the top trim "pop".

Tough to tell without a larger picture.

Caroline78
by Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Chaulking is sometimes called carpenter in a can by tradespeople. It is meant to be used to fix up minor imperfections and seal gaps. Use the paintable kind and smooth it with a moist finger (practice first) have plenty of papertowels handy. Prime and paint.

HOWEVER do be aware that some moldings intentially leave a gap for interest. If the gap is even over the run of the cabinets, it was probably meant to be there (especially in an older home) It provides contrast and makes the top trim "pop".

Tough to tell without a larger picture.

Thanks, you seem to know a lot about this kind of thing.  Unfortunately that gap was not ment to be there and totally uneven. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)