Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paint Color Suggestions

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 194 Total Views

If you have not already selected your wall paint color, consider a medium tone, very grayed out green, similar to the darker green in the artwork.  All colors can read as visually neutral.  Because your room is small, a medium to darker depth of color is suggested.  I am certainly fond of light tone colors; however, unless your room has lots of windows and natural light, light toned colors, like off white,  beige, or tan, will keep your room appearing "small" and will cause too much color contrast between the artwork and any existing wood tones of furniture.   Also, paint the ceiling!  The white ceiling is bringing down/shortening the room.  Paint the ceiling a light tone of gray/blue.  Painting the ceiling will eliminate the hard and high contrast edge where the walls meet ceiling.

In general, smaller rooms are the perfect candidates for deeper tones of color.  They unify the room.  It is high contrast of colors - medium/dark tones of furniture, etc., with light walls in the background - that will keep a small room feeling small. 

Also, paint the lamp shade a golden yellow - like the golden shade in the artwork.  A similar shade of curtains will also work - and the curtains ideally would be a vertical stripe or pattern to add height.   Keep your bed linens white.  Your room colors will result in grayed out green, gray/blue ceiling, golden yellow, with pops of red in the artwork.

Hope this helps. 

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
chamelinmom
by New Member on Mar. 10, 2011 at 1:41 PM

after seeing what the previous owners have done to this house, i dont think i can agree with it. they did all dark colors and painted the celing the darkest of them all, it looked smaller than the room actually was. I finally broke down and paint it with a semi gloss dove white and it opened the room up hugely.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)