Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Over the range?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 429 Total Views

We currently have an over the range microwave, but its at the end of it days. As we are thinking of replacing it I cant decide of i want another microwave or a vent hood that is vented out of the house. I cook and bake a lot and I really like the idea of having a hood that does actually vent out...but not sure how i feel about moving the microwave and knowing i have to replace the backsplash in that area...

What do you all think? Would you rather have a vent hood or an over the range microwave?

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

My microwave is separate from the range and hood and has its own built in spot off the countertops, but I wish it was incorporated over the range. When I moved in and redid some things in the kitchen, I asked the contractor about removing the hood and installing a vented microwave. He cautioned me against it because of the expense involved...said the hood that was there cost at least $5,000.00 and it would be a shame to remove it since it was perfectly good plus the labor for doing it wouldn't be chicken feed. I know you and dh do a lot yourselves, so maybe it isn't so much of a consideration for you. Also, take into account whether you have another good spot for the microwave that won't steal counter space or put it in an awkward location. My mom recently redid her kitchen and put the microwave under the island. I hate it. It's so awkward and way too low down. She claims she likes it cause she's short (5'4"), but even she has to stoop to use it. She just won't admit she made a mistake....LOL 

proudmom424
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM
We have a microwave over ours & if it ever goes out we will put another one up! I don't like the hood Idk y but I don't, also we have limited counter space so it works great being over our range!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oliver6
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I like the idea of the microwave above the stove, but the one we have now is not vented so it does us no good, other then the counterspace..

I may still go with the mirowave, but it will be vented outside. 

If not i was onsidering putting in a microwave drawer...not sure yet. 

patnic
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Just be sure it is vented properly.  We have one that is not.  When it is cold outside, I can feel the freezing air inside of our microwave!

amomynous_j
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:13 PM

vent hood! i'm absolutly in LOVE with ours! the best part, IMO is the added light right in your workspace! =)

proudmom424
by Member on Mar. 4, 2011 at 3:18 PM
I forgot to add that our microwave is vented && has a light underneath!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shontaye_81
by Member on Mar. 5, 2011 at 12:31 AM

In our previous house we had a mircowave over the stove (it had a light and a vent on the bottom that went all the way out the house), but now we have a hood and I HATE it.. We have a mircowave on the counter and I HATE it. That is one of the things I am going to do when we remodel some things in our kitchen. I just prefer the mircowave over the range then anywhere else.

Kimja
by Member on Mar. 5, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Vented Hood, I love mine. I have had both.. I did like my microwave there to. But, The vent helped keep the kitchen cooler when I do a lot of cooking. Plus, if something smokes I removes that to.

my3sonsDLM
by on Mar. 6, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I think a kitchen looks so much more "pulled together" with a mic. over the range.  Plus I would go nuts cleaning under it every day if it was on the counter.  I just don't like a lot on counters in general.

oliver6
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 8:19 AM

I think I'm leaning more towards the hood and a microwave drawer.  i wouldnt want a microwave on my counter, i dont like much of anything on my counters. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)