Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paint a rug?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:13 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 470 Total Views
I have a plain tan/beige area rug from lowes. It was like $20. It's too plain. So I wanted to bring some life into it. I wanted to do maybe a simple band around the inner edge to start off with. I googled it but all I can find is paint to use on a canvas or siasle rugs. So what about a normal area rug? I know I need special paint so it won't crack but o don't know what kind. Any suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Kaci
by Admin on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Here we go.............

Area rugs are useful additions to any home, not just for soft, walkable comfort, but also to add color to a boring floor. For an existing area rug in need of pizazz, painted highlights can spruce up the surface. Adding subtle color highlights to a rug is much cheaper than buying a brand-new rug to fit your decor. The process usually takes just 1 or 2 hours, provided you use the right painting supplies. Painted results are not as permanent as fabric dye, but your new highlights will last for years.

Difficulty:
Easy

Instructions

things you'll need:

• Vacuum cleaner
  • Painter's tape or stencils
  • Fabric paint
  • 1/2-inch artist's paintbrush

Vacuum the rug to remove dirt and dust.

Stick painter's masking tape to your rug to outline the areas you want to highlight with new color. You can also apply stencils to the surface for more complex designs, though a typical area rug "highlight" is just a small strip of extra color around the edges.

Paint inside the border of your painter's tape or stencils using fabric paint and a 1/2-inch artist's brush. The tape is meant to be a guide, but it won't protect against sloppy excessive fabric paint. Rugs are naturally nappy, and the tape doesn't stick well enough to the surface for good protection. To avoid painting outside the taped boundaries, a 1/2-inch artist brush gives you precise paint control. Thinner brush sizes are also available for highly detailed jobs. Artist's brushes are sold at art supply stores, and fabric paint is found at craft stores.

Remove the tape after the paint has dried for a full 24 hours. The paint will be dry to the touch beforehand, but most paint products do not fully cure for an entire day.

dbermis21
by New Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I agree with Kaci I think you should get a area rug.

Les1951
by Member on Mar. 30, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I've been thinking of this for a couple of days and if it were me, for a $20 rug, I would probably not spend the time or the money to try and color or dye it.  The mess would be another issue.  Just for giggles though I might try and get a couple of cheap disposable spray bottles, mix up some different colors of Rit Dye and spray it on in random patterns; outside, on a tarp.  I've heard that the dye only works on cotton and wool.  

oneofeachflavor
by Member on Mar. 30, 2011 at 3:14 PM
I'm gonna go with the paint. I just hope it works and is not a disaster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaci
by Admin on Mar. 31, 2011 at 2:09 PM

It will work! Just use the directions above if you want. And please share pics when you get finished. Have fun!

Quoting oneofeachflavor:

I'm gonna go with the paint. I just hope it works and is not a disaster.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)