Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am SOOOO excited!! - UPDATED: FURNITURE PICS - IN Original Post & Replies!!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:21 PM
  • 74 Replies
  • 3045 Total Views

UPDATED PICS 7/1/11 IN REPLIES!!  NEXT STOP - FURNISH AND DECORATE!

UPDATED PICS (6/24/11) IN REPLIES!!

We are FINALLY finishing our basement!  Real walls!  Drywalled ceiling!  Real carpet!! Real lighting!! The contractor starts on Monday!!

Our original intent was to have stations like an elementary classroom - but that was before we learned that we could actually have the bathroom and office built with our budget.  So, now we have "zones".  TV/Playstation zone, play zone, book nook, computer/homework zone.  Then there's my office (since I work from home full time - but will become my oldest boy's bedroom in a few years), bathroom which is finished (paint, trim, floor) but no fixtures (sink, toilet, tub/shower) as it's not in the budget.  Storage room (accessed only from unfinished side - no pics of that), and closet (for overflow coats, pantry items, toys, etc.)

Here's some BEFORE & AFTER pics!

Before - "play" area - carpet remnant on cold, hard cement...we do have two big, full-size windows so it helps lighten it up down there

Before - More play area

Before - Other half of the basement - ping-pong table, large train table, and CRAP...storage room will be built to the left of this pic...This eventually all turned into a storage room, closet, bathroom and office - all of which created the computer/homework zone and book nook on the family room side :)  No pics of closet or storage room though....

Before - more of the back junk wall turned cool stuff :)

Before - This area will someday be my office

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Les1951
by Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM

How fun for you.  The boys space sounds great.  The only suggestion I have is when you make the office space for yourself consider having a closet installed.  You could put shelves in it for yourself for office use but then if you ever decide to sell you can advertise it as another bedroom; more resale value. 

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 2:00 PM

That's a great idea - and actually that back corner where the white desk is is recessed back about the length of a closet, so that would likely make a perfect place for it.  Thanks!

Quoting Les1951:

How fun for you.  The boys space sounds great.  The only suggestion I have is when you make the office space for yourself consider having a closet installed.  You could put shelves in it for yourself for office use but then if you ever decide to sell you can advertise it as another bedroom; more resale value. 

Luisa621
by Member on Apr. 26, 2011 at 9:58 PM
Omg! That is awesome! I can only imagine how you feel I have been wanting the same thing for us but we don´t have a basement.. the space or the money right now. Lol! But I am soo looking forward to your posts of the process and the finished product! Congrats!
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2011 at 10:38 PM
Well there was a slight delay with the permits so although the materials are here and we've been clearing out the basement, building won't start until tomorrow (Wed.). But I'll definitely post progress & completion pics! I'm still so excited!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QuiltLover
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2011 at 7:56 AM

doin the happy dance for ya!!!!

oliver6
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 11:43 AM
So excited for you!!!
amy7243
by Member on Apr. 27, 2011 at 1:36 PM

That is going to be awesome, having a full finished basement!!!

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2011 at 7:14 PM

OK.  He didn't actually start building until Wednesday.  And, he is indeed going to build the bathroom and office!  We won't have fixtures in the bathroom or a door on the office, but the rooms will be built!

So in two days it has gone from the pictures in the OP to this...(just one guy - owns his own business and does all the building himself).  I figure I'll update at the end of every week.  He won't be here tomorrow (prior engagement with family) so we'll start fresh again on Monday and I'll post week 1's update today.

I can't WAIT to see how much gets done in 5 days straight next week!

Completed so far (in 2 days):

• Insulation all the way around
  • Framing on floor for office area, bathroom, storage area
  • Framing on back wall of storage area and bathroom
  • Wall framed in that will separate unfinished area from finished area
  • Carpet purchased and stored at his shop (it was on sale so he bought it early and is storing it for us - saved us $400!)

Above: the wall of "crap" behind the train table - you can see the "outline" of the bathroom (middle) & storage room (left).  The office will be to the right of the bathroom (not pictured)

Above: wall framed out to separate from unfinished utility space.  2 doors here - on left (where DH is standing) leads to this part of basement.  On right will lead into storage room.

Luisa621
by Member on Apr. 28, 2011 at 9:38 PM
OMG! Seems like this will be done in no time if he goes at this pace! Glad for you, just make sure you always take a look and google what the process is supposed to be and get an idea about what he is doing for you so that you make sure you get a job well done. Did you check the BBB before hiring him? Lol. I don´t know anything about installation, I guess I just watch too much tv where guys do all messed up construction ... But I am soooo excited FOR YOU!!!
TheJerseyGirl
by Admin on Apr. 29, 2011 at 5:29 AM

Your basement is huge! Thats going to be really nice when its done!

Myspace Comments       autism bright colors heart picture and wallpaper

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)