Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Does your dining table not match your kitchen cabinets?

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 10:33 PM
  • 20 Replies
  • 3944 Total Views

Guess what - I'm moving in a dark dark wood table with chairs and china cabinet into a kitchen with nice cabinets but they are reddish brown.  The dining room set cost 42 (on holiday sale 25% off) 00, so um, we'll keep it for awhile. (Long story)

My husband thinks it will be fine.

Any tips/ advice?? THANKS SO MUCH for your help!

by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymom629
by Member on Jul. 10, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Also moving in a white fridge with a black oven and dishwasher!  We might buy a new one, but we'll wait on that... For some reason the cabinet/table issue is concerning me more ha

kltaylor07
by Member on Jul. 10, 2011 at 10:41 PM

It'll be fine.  Mixing finishes... gooood.  Same colors.... bad. =)  Mixing finishes and colors is what gives a room depth.  Without it, everything goes flat.  

As for the fridge, have you thought about painting it?  I know, crazy.  But if you think you might replace it to get a "match set" in there, you don't have a lot to risk.  In my current house (which we hate) we had an off white fridge, black dishwasher, and white stove.  I painted my fridge with chalkboard paint so I at least now have two matching appliances plus it's a fun, functional part of the kitchen now.  I write notes on it, to do lists, etc.  My 3 yr old learned how to write his name while I did dishes.  I wrote a blog post HERE about it, but just an idear.  Of course you don't have to use chalkboard paint, there are other appliances paints available out there.  Congrats on the new house!  

Wife - Mom of 2 boys - Interior Designer - View my blog @...

caham
by Owner on Jul. 10, 2011 at 10:45 PM
I am also one who agrees with mixing wood finishes, I also like somewhat mismatched furniture (I don't like the look of catalog pages where the sofa matches the chair etc). But to answer your question, my dining room table doesn't match my kitchen cabinets...but it also isn't in my kitchen, it is in my dining room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Kylie2708
by Member on Jul. 10, 2011 at 10:58 PM

mine doesnt match, well wont lol. Our cabinets are an off white color (we rent...not a kitchen id choose but lovely apartments other then that LOL) and we just ordered a dining room set with a faux marble top...so no it doesnt match lol

Terri441
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 11:05 PM
As long as the 2 complement eachother and the wood colors don't clash (which it sounds like they don't) it'll be a ok. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymom629
by Member on Jul. 11, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Thanks for you advice everyone, and we bought them for 4200 not 42, ha, i just reread my post

epoh
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 5:41 AM
That's an interesting idea!

Quoting kltaylor07:

It'll be fine.  Mixing finishes... gooood.  Same colors.... bad. =)  Mixing finishes and colors is what gives a room depth.  Without it, everything goes flat.  

As for the fridge, have you thought about painting it?  I know, crazy.  But if you think you might replace it to get a "match set" in there, you don't have a lot to risk.  In my current house (which we hate) we had an off white fridge, black dishwasher, and white stove.  I painted my fridge with chalkboard paint so I at least now have two matching appliances plus it's a fun, functional part of the kitchen now.  I write notes on it, to do lists, etc.  My 3 yr old learned how to write his name while I did dishes.  I wrote a blog post HERE about it, but just an idear.  Of course you don't have to use chalkboard paint, there are other appliances paints available out there.  Congrats on the new house!  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
August07Mom
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 9:03 AM

My cabinets are painted white.  My table is not.  I've never had a matching kitchen/dining room.

andrea96
by Member on Jul. 11, 2011 at 9:29 AM

My kitchen table is cherry, and my cabinets are lighter.

Maddies_mom101
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I love love love your fridge  If I wasn't in a rental I would so do that to mine

Quoting kltaylor07:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)