Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

brown overload

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:25 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 929 Total Views

im sick of it! everything in my livingroom is brown, tan, or beige. I can't paint my walls because we rent but I can change everything else. i want to start by repainting my coffee table and end tables. SO wants me to paint them brown and then black on top then sand to make it look worn. I like this idea but not really the colors and I'm really not sure exactly HOW to do it. Any tips or suggestions would be great!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owensmom34
by Group Admin on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I wonder if you could find tips from the DIY website:

http://www.diynetwork.com/spring-season-main/package/index.html?affiliate=blocker&omnisource=SEM&c1=DIY&c2=Google&c3=DIY&c4=DIY&c5=General&s_kwcid=TC|15760|DIY||S||6903633437

Another idea is to just go to a home improvement.  When I started my raised bed they were really helpful.

TwoSugars
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:32 PM

thanks!
any ideas on what would be good color combinations? i was thinking instead of the brown and black i could do black with light green. i like a country/cozy cabin look and feel

Rhyne
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:46 PM
Pillows, curtains, rugs, accessories! The best thing about working with brown is so many colors compliment it! You can use orange, red, blue, green and even different shades of the colors.
Here's some inspiration
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Hope that kind of helps, it's just a matter of dressing it up. Have fun and take pics of the before and after!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Wow! LOVE those inspiration photos from Rhyne! She is right, you know. Since you already have all the browns and beiges, why not just dress them up with color? Get tired of the color, change our your accessories but retain all the expensive brown basics.

To address your question of whether green and black distressed, cottage look would work...it depends on what else is in the room! You'd have to coordinate things depending on what else is in there or is going to be incorporated. Can we see pics?

Your SO is right that dark brown/black combos are very "in" right now on wood furniture. I love that it's a combo of both, so basically goes with anything!

TwoSugars
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:30 PM

i can upload pics but my son just got done with playtime with his PCA so this place is a MESS!! brb

TwoSugars
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:43 PM

SO just moved in so we are still combining furniture. I hate how he's got all our stuff shoved all the way to the walls :/

Theres a little rolling tv cart/bookcase full of  comic books on the other side of the cream love seat and some picture frames (black of course ugh) over it that need to be moved.

Where the vaccuum is there is a window thing that opens to right above the kitchen sink. Can't put any furniture in front of it because the kids climb it and play in the water. I have pillows for the big couch but the kids always throw them on the floor and theyre ugly.

Rhyne
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:56 PM
You have so much to work with and I love your dark brown love seat! Have you thought about slip covers? It's a cheap, easy fix, plus they are easy to wash. You also need curtains with some color, and maybe raise the curtain rod a few inches away from the ceiling to make the room feel bigger. Have you thought about a big mirror to go over the couch? Changing the lamp shade could always add colors, check out shadesoflight.com for tons of choices. After repurposing a table, I would do it again, but be 100% sure on what you want because it is insanely time consuming (especially the sanding!). You have a great room to work with!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM

I know you didn't ask for layout help, but I'm gonna give it anyway...LOL

I would position the sofa and loveseat closer together instead of across the room from each other. I'd scoot the sofa down a foot or two and put the loveseat on the window wall where the bench is now. As Rhyne said, mount the drapery rod higher and hang wider (at least 54 inches) drapery panels floor to ceiling. Hanging it higher creates the illusion of higher ceilings. If you really want to go all out, get a longer rod that extends all the way past the air conditioner. That way, when not in use, you can stack the panel on that side over the air conditioner and hide it!

Is there room to straighten the tv on the kitchen pass-thru wall? If so, it would provide a better view to both sofa and loveseat. What is past the loveseat in its current location? If it's the front door, you could put a console table w/mirror over it on the current loveseat wall as a sort of entryway table to define that area.

However, if the loveseat wall is solid with no doors, I would leave the loveseat where it is and center the sofa in front of the window. Whichever you choose, center the piece in front of the window after you've hung the new drapes for balance.

The slipcovers are a great idea, especially to make the two seating pieces match for not much money.

Watch for sales. I picked up a two-pack of toss pillows at Kohls for $10.00. They are very elegant looking silk pillows that had originally been marked at $40.00 for the set.  

I hope some of this makes sense...LOL

TwoSugars
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM

i would love to move the furniture around! SO just put it like this and its stayed this was since then lol. maybe ill play around with it tomorrow :)

Quoting blondepegasus:

I know you didn't ask for layout help, but I'm gonna give it anyway...LOL

I would position the sofa and loveseat closer together instead of across the room from each other. I'd scoot the sofa down a foot or two and put the loveseat on the window wall where the bench is now. As Rhyne said, mount the drapery rod higher and hang wider (at least 54 inches) drapery panels floor to ceiling. Hanging it higher creates the illusion of higher ceilings. If you really want to go all out, get a longer rod that extends all the way past the air conditioner. That way, when not in use, you can stack the panel on that side over the air conditioner and hide it!

Is there room to straighten the tv on the kitchen pass-thru wall? If so, it would provide a better view to both sofa and loveseat. What is past the loveseat in its current location? If it's the front door, you could put a console table w/mirror over it on the current loveseat wall as a sort of entryway table to define that area.

However, if the loveseat wall is solid with no doors, I would leave the loveseat where it is and center the sofa in front of the window. Whichever you choose, center the piece in front of the window after you've hung the new drapes for balance.

The slipcovers are a great idea, especially to make the two seating pieces match for not much money.

Watch for sales. I picked up a two-pack of toss pillows at Kohls for $10.00. They are very elegant looking silk pillows that had originally been marked at $40.00 for the set.  

I hope some of this makes sense...LOL

Maddies_mom101
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I would get some big throw pillows for the larger couch to give it the plush feel and look like the loveseat.

if you can  lower the TV on the TV stand  pole make it so it doesn't look like its just floating in mid air

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)