Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

repainting furnature - HELP

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:07 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 242 Total Views

I want to repaint these cube things to make them matching (they are driving me crazy)
I love them to store all my daughter books on and its strong and wont fall.

The problem is I don't know how to repaint them. The lighter would is like laminte the bottom is pine or something. I know i need to sand the bottom one prime and paint.

How do I paint he top part?
What kind of paint should I use?
use a brush or spray paint??

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tasha2378
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:12 PM

I dont have a sander. Can i get away with not sanding it?

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Can you do a little testing on the back?  Pretty easy, huh? It just takes some patience and time, but the results would be well worth it.

If your laminate piece is one that can be easily taken apart, go ahead and do that.  With a 220 grit sandpaper, sand every square inch that you will be painting. The sanding will be much easier if you use a palm sander (they are about $30 at home improvement stores if you don’t have one). You will need to hand sand any areas you can’t reach with the sander.

Sand until you start to see little white flecks on the furniture and the shine of the laminate is removed. Be careful not to sand down to the plywood or other pressed wood that is underneath the laminate.
Next, take a tack cloth and wipe down the pieces you sanded. You’ll want to make sure you remove all of the sanding dust so that it won’t ruin your paint job. I like to wipe down each piece right before I prime it so that I don’t run the risk of additional particles getting on the pieces before I paint.

Now it’s time to prime your pieces. There may be other brands of primer that will work, but I specifically recommend the Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 primer.Prime each piece with a foam brush.  use a foam roller to paint the large pieces and then used a 2-inch foam brush to paint the edges and hard to reach areas. give each piece one coat of primer.

You will need to let your primed pieces completely dry and cure before you move to the next step. Zinsser recommends 7 days; other brands may recommend a different length of time. Your pieces will be dry to the touch within a few hours, but they will not be scratch resistant until the primer is fully hardened. I cannot stress this enough. Don’t rush it and try to paint over the primer before it is cured, as your pieces will scratch easily. If you wait the recommended amount of time, your paint job won’t scratch easily.

Now comes the fun part – the paint! Using a foam roller and foam brush, choose an interior eggshell sheen for paint, which is in between flat and semi-gloss.  pay careful attention to catch any drips

Once the paint dried overnight, reassembled the piece and touch up any areas missed or that got scratched during the reassembly process.

If your piece is one that is going to get a lot of wear and tear, I’d recommend applying a polyurethane coat.

http://livingwithlindsay.com/2009/05/how-to-paint-laminate-furniture.html

owensmom34
by Group Admin on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Wow!  Nice job!

Quoting SamMom912:

Can you do a little testing on the back?  Pretty easy, huh? It just takes some patience and time, but the results would be well worth it.

If your laminate piece is one that can be easily taken apart, go ahead and do that.  With a 220 grit sandpaper, sand every square inch that you will be painting. The sanding will be much easier if you use a palm sander (they are about $30 at home improvement stores if you don’t have one). You will need to hand sand any areas you can’t reach with the sander.

Sand until you start to see little white flecks on the furniture and the shine of the laminate is removed. Be careful not to sand down to the plywood or other pressed wood that is underneath the laminate.
Next, take a tack cloth and wipe down the pieces you sanded. You’ll want to make sure you remove all of the sanding dust so that it won’t ruin your paint job. I like to wipe down each piece right before I prime it so that I don’t run the risk of additional particles getting on the pieces before I paint.

Now it’s time to prime your pieces. There may be other brands of primer that will work, but I specifically recommend the Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 primer.Prime each piece with a foam brush.  use a foam roller to paint the large pieces and then used a 2-inch foam brush to paint the edges and hard to reach areas. give each piece one coat of primer.

You will need to let your primed pieces completely dry and cure before you move to the next step. Zinsser recommends 7 days; other brands may recommend a different length of time. Your pieces will be dry to the touch within a few hours, but they will not be scratch resistant until the primer is fully hardened. I cannot stress this enough. Don’t rush it and try to paint over the primer before it is cured, as your pieces will scratch easily. If you wait the recommended amount of time, your paint job won’t scratch easily.

Now comes the fun part – the paint! Using a foam roller and foam brush, choose an interior eggshell sheen for paint, which is in between flat and semi-gloss.  pay careful attention to catch any drips

Once the paint dried overnight, reassembled the piece and touch up any areas missed or that got scratched during the reassembly process.

If your piece is one that is going to get a lot of wear and tear, I’d recommend applying a polyurethane coat.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Quoting owensmom34:

Wow!  Nice job!

Quoting SamMom912:

What? Cutting and pasting the info? LOL.. NOT MINE... LOL!!!! But YES, she did a super ncie job!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)