• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Remodeling...Where to start

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:31 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • 418 Total Views

ok...so as i had mentioned in another post, dh and i have started talking about finally updating this house (he didn't see the point with the little kids, but now that our youngest is a year, he is ready to start planning...and hopefully get started in the rooms that ds doesn't use..lol).

anyway...we have 3 bedrooms, kitchen, 2 bathrooms (one that is the laundry area as well, and the shower in there doesn't work) and a living room and family room.

what room would you suggest i start with?  i am thinking either the kitchen or one of the bathrooms.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oliver6
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:01 AM

I agree kitchen or bathrooms. I started with the kitchen because that is the room I used the most and couldnt stand it. We chose to wait on the bathrooms a little longer because at the time we only had 1 kid using the second bathroom and the master wasnt that bad. The only 2 rooms we have not done are the youngest 2s bedrooms (we are waiting until they are a little older)

This is the order we remodeled

Kitchen

Both Bathrooms

Finished the basement

living room

master bedroom

added bedroom to basement

built new garage

converted old garage to family room

now kitchen(again) and dining area

Dabberdoo
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:07 AM

I don't know what I'm talking about but I think if I were going to remodel I would start with the room that would make me happiest if it were done.  

Visit my blog about my crazy family of 8 HERE!
If you are a Baptist lady desiring fellowship and support come join us HERE!
Looking for an idea for dinner?  Visit us Here

butterfly-jo
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:32 AM

hmm...that would probably be the kitchen...or the bathrooms..lol.  our whole house is brady bunch, so it is a toss up.

Quoting Dabberdoo:

I don't know what I'm talking about but I think if I were going to remodel I would start with the room that would make me happiest if it were done.  

caham
by Owner on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Here are my personal experiences, we have remodeled 2 homes. Our first home was a cute bungalow and was in dire need of all updates, then our current house is big old Victorian that we have been working on for 9 years. I have done kitchen remodels in both homes, completely gutting and starting over. With that being said, I have ONLY done kitchen remodels without living in the house. That was my requirement before moving into either house, was that the kitchen had to be finished before moving in, I didn't want to live without a kitchen and/or a functioning bathroom. A LOT of planning ahead will need to go into your rennovations and expect to spend more than what your budget is, it seems there is always something that comes up that was unexpected. Having a family seems to always make projects move slower - it was amazing how quickly we were able to completely remodel our first home, but we were also able to do it before we had any kids.

Pick one room and stick to it! It is so easy to get started on one room and then think, well if I am doing this here, I might as well do it in this other room too....and then before you know it you have multiple rooms in various states of remodel with nothing seeming like it is ever going to get finished!

I agree with a previous poster, pick the room that will make you the happies to see completed and start there. A bathroom upgrade will take less time and money than a kitchen!

Christine - Group Owner of Home Decor and so Much More!

Fan me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_154813647919926&ap=1

lasombrs
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I would do rooms you can do without for a few days first. Start with the second bath, then maybe go into bedrooms and have people share while you are in the process. See how long it takes you to complete things before tackling the kitchen. That would be the worst room to have out of comission if something happens and you cant finish it right away

Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:06 PM
I was thinking the kitchen too, but this is good thinking! You don't want to not be able to use if for so long time....well on the other hand, maybe you could take a break from coming for a bit! Lol

Quoting lasombrs:

I would do rooms you can do without for a few days first. Start with the second bath, then maybe go into bedrooms and have people share while you are in the process. See how long it takes you to complete things before tackling the kitchen. That would be the worst room to have out of comission if something happens and you cant finish it right away

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterfly-jo
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:14 PM

hhmm....everyone has great ideas....and now i'm even more stumped than before....LOL

LOswald0314
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM
Me too!

Quoting Dabberdoo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PlumLovinMom
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Whether you do the kitchen now or later, it will still be out of commission for a while.  I agree with Dabberdoo--do the room that will make you happiest to have completed.  For me it would be the kitchen.  Cooking in an awkward kitchen is a pain and just plain iritating.  If my kitchen cabinets just had modern "guts" I would be much better off--better storage!!  Ya know what I mean?

Dabberdoo
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:30 PM

You could also do whichever room a guest sees first. I don't know if that matters to you or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)