• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Clutter Control (from Family Circle)

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:34 AM
  • 18 Replies
  • 454 Total Views

i know lots of us have posted things about clutter and our dislike for it.  i was flipping through some of my old magazines and found this article on clutter control (a crash course for creating orer in your house).

i thought i would post them here for us all to see...and use any steps that might help us.....

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
butterfly-jo
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Junk Drawer......

Most of us have cathall spots in their kitchen (or other area of the house).  Whip the space into shape by first weeding out the trash (expired coupons, dried up glue sticks), duplicates (like screwdrivers # 2 & 3) and things that don't belong (mascara and nail clippers).  Categorize what's left and place neatly in different sized trays.

butterfly-jo
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Broom Closet

....A typical utility closet (one shelf and one bar) isnt up to the task of storing ots of cleaners and long-handled tools.  The fix?  Max out the vertical space.  Instead of standing brooms and mops on end, hang them along the other items on a rack mounded to the back of the door or inside.  If the acuum has a loose hose, wrap it around a large hook installed on the wall above where it sits.  Arrange frequesntly used cleaners in a portable candy and stash it, along with everything else (bucket, vacuum cleaner bags, waxes and polishes) on the top shelf or ona standing wire shelf that you can configure to fit your space.

butterfly-jo
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Bathroom Sink Cabinet

...Cler everything out of the area and add a shelf or two, which willlet you fit more and see what's there.  Position a wire cabinet shelf in front of, beneath or next to the drainpipe, dpending on your set up.  Or use an under-sink organizer with shelves consiting of modular pieces that you can arrange around the plumbin.  Place bulky items-sunscreen, hairspray, ltion-in waterproof containers on the bottome, where there's height.  Store toilet paper and supplies like band-aids and q-tips in lidded plastic boxes.

butterfly-jo
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Underwear Drawer

...Streamline with a good purge, disposing of holey, stretched-out and ill-fitting items.  Then separate what's left by type (bras, underwear, athletic socks, dress socks...etc).  If you have the space, dedicate a drawer to each.  The best way to keep order is to sort by color.  For a custom fit, try spring-loaded drawer dividers or clear, open boxes designed specifically for lingerie and socks.

Mommyof2114
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:02 PM
Thanks for posting! Great information
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:08 PM
Bumping to come back to this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LOswald0314
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:05 PM
Great ideas, thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yasbobari
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Quoting LOswald0314:

Great ideas, thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babowes
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:49 PM
Yes....and I have to clean it out once a month

Quoting butterfly-jo:

Junk Drawer......

Most of us have cathall spots in their kitchen (or other area of the house).  Whip the space into shape by first weeding out the trash (expired coupons, dried up glue sticks), duplicates (like screwdrivers # 2 & 3) and things that don't belong (mascara and nail clippers).  Categorize what's left and place neatly in different sized trays.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babowes
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:50 PM
I just did this......too many pre and post baby undies!!!!!

Quoting butterfly-jo:

Underwear Drawer

...Streamline with a good purge, disposing of holey, stretched-out and ill-fitting items.  Then separate what's left by type (bras, underwear, athletic socks, dress socks...etc).  If you have the space, dedicate a drawer to each.  The best way to keep order is to sort by color.  For a custom fit, try spring-loaded drawer dividers or clear, open boxes designed specifically for lingerie and socks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)