Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Virgin decorator needs some serious help!

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 2:47 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 671 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Okay ladies...I've never painted, tried wallpaper, never done wall border, nothing! Scared to try! Something I'm looking to tackle is some sort of varied painting - like certain parts of trim or parts of bedroom walls with "jutting out areas" to accent room. Also wondering if you all may have certain feelings/ideas of stencils and/or decals of some sort. One better or easier for this novice?

I feel so silly, but  seem to have all these ideas in my head and no clue how to get started or what's the easiest ways/products to choose from. This is a bit of rambling - which is exactly how my brain feels!...lol

tink

by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 2:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
blondepegasus
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the decorating world!

Don't try wallpaper. It's very difficult to do well if you don't know what you're doing and have little or no experience with it. Wallpaper borders are outdated, so I wouldn't do that either.

A good, regular paint job with decals is probably your best bet. Anybody can paint and anybody can apply decals. The trick with them is to follow the included directions and also to realize that less it more. I wouldn't do more than one in any one room. It also needs appropriate placement to look right.

If you have pictures of the area you're thinking of doing, it would help.

As far as accent walls go, in a living room it should generally be the fireplace wall. If there is no fireplace, it should be the sofa wall, since without a fireplace the sofa becomes the focal point. In a bedroom, it should usually be the bed wall, since the bed is supposed to be the focal point. Personally, I don't care for accent walls. I think they are difficult to do well (getting the right paint contrast with the 2 separate colors) and they tend to break up the visual flow in a room and make it seem smaller.

In the end, I would suggest you be adventurous and give some of your ideas a whirl. It's only paint and can be easily and inexpensively changed. You can't really mess up anything beyond repair. My one exception to this is wood trim and doors. Think very carefully and be absolutely sure it's what you want before you paint them. Once a wood door or trim is painted, it's very difficult and time consuming to strip the paint and change it back to wood.

lasombrs
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 1:21 PM

i love painting just one wall of a room and sentcils. I'd practice the stencils on paper first though. they an smear and run when you keep putting them up if you arent use to it. We use the peel and remve sticker stuff for our walls

and if you dont like it, you can always paint back over it! so have fun and dont worry

cherylw993
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I have never tried to wallpaper, but I enjoy painting. If it comes out bad just paint over.

VanBurren
by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Talk to the folks in the painting dept of Home Depot and Lowes....they'll be happy to give a first-timer some great tips.  I don't think I'd ever try wallpaper or borders....seem outdated.  But an accent wall would be great.

armywife1229
by Member on Nov. 25, 2011 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Painting is probably the easiest and cheapest way to go. Pick a color and go for it! Worst case, you hate it and you can redo it!

usmclife58
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 7:53 PM

I am so bad at all of that. However, my husband and his family are amazing. I just pick out the colors and let them handle it.

slynn31s
by New Member on Dec. 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I hear you!   I am challenged in this area...but hoping to make some courageous attempts with paint and such in the near future!  Good luck!

campeno
by Admin on Jan. 18, 2012 at 6:04 AM
Google, pinterest, HGTV and of course cm are all great resources for when you have an idea but aren't sure how to implement it.

On a personal note, I'd steer clear of wallpaper and borders. They are typically outdated and not fun to put up or change later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)