Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Dabberdoo and anyone else interested (heirloom pics~~pic heavy**)

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 1179 Total Views

These were taken before we had the floors refinished.  Please ignore the chippy paint on the floor.  You can search for my thread of before and after floors refinished to see how they look now.  We don't have the rooms back together yet because we are still stripping wallpaper and have to paint everything.  

Our room:

Our pine hutch.  I love this piece.   It's very old, mid to late 1800s and very primitive. 

Sawyer's room: 

Don't mind his floor.  When we ripped up the carpeting, it was painted underneath and I just actually had an estimate to have the floors sanded and varnished.  They are the original wide planks and they are pine.  I love them and can't wait to see them without all of their ugly chipping paint. 

His really cool nightstand.  (Ignore the chippy floor)  It's an old dental sterilizing cabinet.  It was a rusty mess when we bought it and my dad refinished it.  It has a cool glass shelf inside the glass door and it lights up.  

The oak hutch.  We bought this with the pine hutch in our bedroom at an auction.  They were both painted a horrible color and had been used in a garage for years.  I used the bottom of this hutch as my kids' changing table.  When the top was refinished, we added it and use it to showcase his antique bottle collection and other goodies.  (Pardon my dust!  Apparantly, the flash really lets you see the dust underneath the cabinet, better than the naked eye!  lol  Off to dust that now!)

His armoire.  It was a green when I got it.  (excuse the hardware that I have to fix)

His antique thermometer wall with my grandmother's hope chest.

His trunk and treasure chest (the desk is something I just picked up for him.  It's out of an old school.  It's not going to go there, we have to rearrange his room)

This little walnut dresser was from my husband's grandma.  I think I'll move it out of Sawyer's room when we do the rearranging. 

Ashton's room:

His room is very bare, we just  purged it big time and we are getting ready to paint it (this late fall) so the walls are bare.  His floors, along with my scrapbook room, and Hadleigh's room will be refinished first.  I can't wait to see his room finished and painted another color.  

His desk.  My dad re did it for him.  (again, ignore chippy floor! It will be gone soon!  )

His nightstand will be orange to go with his new color scheme when we paint his room.  

by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Steph75
by Member on Nov. 23, 2011 at 12:16 PM

This is my parlor or formal living room.  We plan on scraping this room this winter and my husband will fix the plaster and then I'll repaint.  I would love to have the floors sanded and refinished.  They had nasty carpet and we ripped it up and the wood was painted so we just repainted temporarily.  It chips though and looks horrible.  I just want them sanded and varnished.  

Here is my secretary.  I love it!  The big square wooden door folds down and it's a desk.  It was one of the first pieces my husband and I bought when we started going together to auctions.  This was bought before we were married.  I think we bought it in 1994.  

Here you can see the secretary, and the victrola (it was my great aunt's sister in law's and we bought it at an auction in 1999).  The chair is from my husband's uncle.  Their family brought it over on a boat from Germany.  We have two of them.  One rocks and one is stationary.  They are REALLY comfortable.  The wooden boxes are just things I like and have aquired over the years. 

One of our three glass ball footed tables.  This one is oak and is so pretty.  We bought it at an auction before we were married.  The lamp was my great aunt's.  I always loved it!  She had a house in Hawaii and it was there and then she brought it back home after that.  Her only child was killed when he was a teenager and so my family had an auction of her estate and I bought the lamp.  I had to go to $800 because stupid dealers were bidding against me.  It was worth it though, because I have so many memories of it and I just love it.  The auction was in 2002.   The amber bowl was my husband's grandmother's.  Her mom had it when she was little.  She just passed away in March at 95.  

The antique couch was my in my parent's house when I was growing up.  They got it from my uncle.  My mom had it reupholstered in 1996 and I like the colors.  I actually painted this room the lilac color to go with the couch.  I don't care for the lilac anymore, but I still like the couch.  We'll probably pick a different fabric someday, but for now it's fine.  The couch is comfy and it's nice to lay on to read or talk on the phone.  It's kind of empty around the couch because I sold an end table and a coffee table last April that used to be in that room.  They were new (from the 1990s and they were cherry and formal.  They were my parents but they weren't my style.)  The antique painting is from the same auction we bought the victrola at in 1999.  There are two of those paintings. 

The antique barrister bookcase is from my husband's dad.  I've always loved these.  The pitcher and bowl was his mom's.  She died in 1992.  The bookcase is filled with some of the teacups and saucers I used to collect and also some antique crystal and newer (wedding gifts) crystal.  Don't mind the junk around the bookcase.  The boxes on the right hold the woven wooden shades that will go in our family room after we paint it this fall/winter.   The stuff on the left needs to either be sold or is going to be used in a vintage kitchen stool/step ladder redo that I'm working on.  The other horse painting is above the bookcase. 

This hutch was my husband's parents.  It was passed down to my father in law.  It was brought over from Germany.  I love it!  It used to be in my family room, but I sold an old antique oak organ and put this in it's place in the parlor.  It holds all of my binders with paperwork on the bottom and things that I've collected in the glass door part.  

This is one of our two fireplaces that are original to the house.  (1874)  They are marble.  The medallion on the front of this one fell off and a piece broke off.  I have it set aside until I can find someone that can fix marble.  The fireplace tools are going.  My husband brought them home from his grandma's and I'm not into fireplace tools and we don't need them.  The chair (rocker) I LOVE!  It has a really neat North Wind face on the back.  It's SO comfortable to sit in.  When I was in high school, I participated in a program called Christmas in April.  It was a program that would remodel a house in need that qualified and people and companies would donate their time and services and products.  This elderly lady lived in the house that I helped to work on and I never forgot her.  A few years ago there was a garage sale at her house and I went and told her I had worked on her house back in high school and I bought this chair from her.  She told me how her mom rocked her in it when she was a baby.  The photo above the fireplace I may sell.  I'm not in love with it and it's kind of too formal and stuffy for me.  I don't want things that are so formal anymore.  I used to like victorian things, but I don't really anymore.  I will never not love antique furniture, but I like them paired with modern touches.  So I may sell the picture.  Ignore the cracks or rough plaster above the fireplace.  This will be smoothed out this winter.  

This piano was in my house when I was little.  I actually took lessons and this is the piano I practiced on at home.  My parents bought it from an elderly lady that had been one of my dad's schoolteachers.  The piano mirror above it is a mirror that I thought was pretty and bought at an autcion.  The photo on the wall on the right is of an old school in our town with the kids out front.  I believe my husband's grandfather or great gradfather are in the photo.  I haven't looked at it in so long that I forget.  lol  Don't mind the rug.  That is also for my family room redo.  I also have 9 photo canvases that I bought in Feb. and they are going to be hung on a wall in my family room.  It was supposed to be done by March but we ended up scraping layers of wallpaper off of my toyroom walls and replastering areas so it took weeks instead of a weekend.  lol  After that my husband got busy and then outside projects take priority and inside stuff happens over the winter.  

This chair is really cool looking.  It's comfy too.  I'm going to have to sand the old varnish off as it's turned so dark.  For now, it's fine though.  It was in my husband's grandpa's house.   He passed away a year ago in May.  

lasombrs
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 1:19 PM

i love big wood furniture! DH doesnt though :(

usmclife58
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Ooooh!

Maddies_mom101
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:06 PM

love it all!!

OliviasMommy611
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM
I don't get into antiques but nice.. I love the cubs bottle too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Love the furniture pieces!

sylvia613
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Wonder piecess
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnlizard
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I love antiques...and that some on them came from other family members make them really special!   Nice job!

caham
by Owner on Jan. 30, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I have a secretary that is VERY similar to yours, and I have a (working) victrola too!

Christine - Group Owner of Home Decor and so Much More!

Fan me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_154813647919926&ap=1

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)