Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Basic Pizza Dough from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's 'The River Cottage Family Cookbook'

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2011 at 2:01 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 668 Total Views

Ingredients:

4 1/4 cups (500 g) strong white flour, plus extra for dusting the work surface
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons (1 x 7 g sachet) easy-blend (fast-action) yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons sugar or honey
1 1/4 cup (300 ml) warm water
cornmeal/polenta, for the base of the pizza (optional)
Basic Pizza Dough from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's 'The River Cottage Family Cookbook'
Directions:

To make the dough in a bread machine, simply follow the usual instructions for your machine, then skip to the last step.

To make the dough by hand, put the flour in a large mixing bowl, add the salt and yeast and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. Pour the warm water into a measuring jug, then add the olive oil and sugar (or honey). Stir well. Pour the water mixture onto the flour in the bowl, a little at a time. Either with the wooden spoon or your hands, work the water into the flour and gradually bring it all together into a mass of soft, slightly stick dough. If the dough feels very sticky, add a little more flour. If it feels as if it won’t come together, then work in some more warm water — a soft dough is much easier to knead.

Flour the work surface and turn the dough out onto it. It will look rough and saggy at this stage, so it has to be kneaded until it’s smooth and bouncy. Keep kneading for at least 10 minutes (or you could use the dough hook of a stand mixer). Shape the dough into a neat ball, put it back in the mixing bowl and cover the bowl with some cling film or a damp kitchen towel to prove in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size — this will take 90 minutes to 2 hours.

When the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly grease a pizza pan or baking sheet with olive oil, then sprinkle over some cornmeal, if using. Knock out the air and roll the dough out into a 12-inch round (or whatever size will fit your pan/sheet) and place in the prepared pan or baking sheet. Cover the dough with your toppings and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden (check after 10 minutes to make sure nothing is burning). Allow to stand for 10 minutes, then cut into slices and serve immediately.

♥Joyce♥
Deals & Steals - Group Owner
D&S Coupon Swappers - Group Owner
Join us on Smarter Living! - Group Mod 
Join us in M.O.M. Moments of Motherhood - Group Mod

by on Dec. 23, 2011 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Dec. 25, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Thanks for sharing.  It sounds good.

millerbunch
by Member on Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:39 PM

sounds yummy.. but i am so bad at trying to get dough to rise..lol

aidansmommy219
by Member on Dec. 29, 2011 at 1:12 PM
Mmmm love homemade dough.
robertmommie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Oh cool, DH has been wanting to tweek his pizza dough recipe.  I'll show him this, thanks!

Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2011 at 2:42 PM
I've never made my own dough. Maybe I should try.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN