Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Help me decorate my Entertainment Center!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 2893 Total Views

So, we bought this Entertainment Center & TV a little over a year ago.  I LOVE how we decorate it for Christmas, but the rest of the year, I'm stumped.  The movie reel and camera on the upper left are representative of my husband (producer/videographer/photographer) and the camera belongs to my grandpa who loved photography and has passed away - so I want to keep those.

The large black thing on the other side is our digital antennae - which is the only way we get local TV as we don't have Dish or Cable...so it has to stay where it is.

The pictures in the middle are the 1 year pics of each of our children, and I can move those elsewhere if needed. 

So, here's a few pics of the Entertainment Center as it is now...

View of the full wall...

How we decorated for Fall...

And for Christmas...

I want something that won't be too "busy" for the other 10 months of the year, and will be the right scale - but just don't have a clue what that is.

by on Jan. 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lovinmybabas
by New Member on Jan. 14, 2012 at 5:34 PM
There are tons of cute ideas for all the other holidays. -Valentines day, St Patrick's day, 4th of July, Easter, etc. I will google "mantle decorating ideas" a lot to get ideas. Actually, I plan on making a trip to craft warehouse and micheals soon to buy some Valentine stuff for my entertainment center!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I think you need to figure out what you are into. I have lots of frames on mine, candles, in one section I have wizard/fantasy stuff. Two sections are of our wedding, one has dvd albums/dvd's etc.....

Rushn311
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Now that I think about it, not sure if I like the looks of mine. LOL

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Thanks, I might look into that, but I typically ONLY decorate for Fall and Christmas, and then I just have "normal" decorations the rest of the year...I don't think I would do well at keeping up with the ever changing holidays.

Quoting Lovinmybabas:

There are tons of cute ideas for all the other holidays. -Valentines day, St Patrick's day, 4th of July, Easter, etc. I will google "mantle decorating ideas" a lot to get ideas. Actually, I plan on making a trip to craft warehouse and micheals soon to buy some Valentine stuff for my entertainment center!

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

That's kind of why we have the movie reel, camera, mic, etc. on the top left - it represents DH's interests and honors my grandpa.  As for me, I love astronomy and music (odd I know).  I taught music for 13 years, but I don't really have anything decorative that would work up there.  I used to put a black, small globe & a portion of my old telescope on the top right, but it just never felt right (see pic).

Quoting Rushn311:

I think you need to figure out what you are into. I have lots of frames on mine, candles, in one section I have wizard/fantasy stuff. Two sections are of our wedding, one has dvd albums/dvd's etc.....

Rushn311
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM

To me those things on there are way too big for the entertainment center. Maybe go to an antique shop to look at some pieces, you might find some things you like there.

Quoting the3Rs:

That's kind of why we have the movie reel, camera, mic, etc. on the top left - it represents DH's interests and honors my grandpa.  As for me, I love astronomy and music (odd I know).  I taught music for 13 years, but I don't really have anything decorative that would work up there.  I used to put a black, small globe & a portion of my old telescope on the top right, but it just never felt right (see pic).

Quoting Rushn311:

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Hmmm...it's funny because in another forum they said the camera was too small for the scale of the entertainment center.  They said because it's so large (and it really is quite large though that may not translate well in the pics) we would need larger items.

*sigh* This is why I'm so conflicted, LOL.  Can't find things I like that seem to fit the scale properly. 

Unfortunately, I'm not really into antiques at all.  :(

Here's a wider view of the room if that helps (fireplace decor has changed).  I honestly don't mean to shoot ideas down, and I DO appreciate the suggestions.  Just haven't found anything that 'clicks' yet.  :(

Quoting Rushn311:

To me those things on there are way too big for the entertainment center. Maybe go to an antique shop to look at some pieces, you might find some things you like there.

Quoting the3Rs:

Quoting Rushn311:
Rushn311
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I kinda agree with them seeing this view. I would maybe move the frames and move those big items to the center of the entertainment center since they are so much bigger. Maybe put those frames on either side?

Quoting the3Rs:

Hmmm...it's funny because in another forum they said the camera was too small for the scale of the entertainment center.  They said because it's so large (and it really is quite large though that may not translate well in the pics) we would need larger items.

*sigh* This is why I'm so conflicted, LOL.  Can't find things I like that seem to fit the scale properly. 

Here's a wider view of the room if that helps (fireplace decor has changed).  I honestly don't mean to shoot ideas down, and I DO appreciate the suggestions.  Just haven't found anything that 'clicks' yet.  :(

Quoting Rushn311:

Quoting the3Rs:

Quoting Rushn311:

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:22 PM

So, that's a neat idea.  I hadn't thought of moving the larger items to the center.  I have 3 frames (I think size 11 x 14) so not sure how I would balance that with 2 on one side...unless I just move them to someplace else.  But, I think I'll experiment with moving the side things into the middle.  :)

Quoting Rushn311:

I kinda agree with them seeing this view. I would maybe move the frames and move those big items to the center of the entertainment center since they are so much bigger. Maybe put those frames on either side?

Quoting the3Rs:

Quoting Rushn311:

Quoting the3Rs:

Rushn311
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM

You are right! I only saw two frames. Yeah, I'd move them somewhere else or just the one frame. Glad you liked that idea! :)

Quoting the3Rs:

So, that's a neat idea.  I hadn't thought of moving the larger items to the center.  I have 3 frames (I think size 11 x 14) so not sure how I would balance that with 2 on one side...unless I just move them to someplace else.  But, I think I'll experiment with moving the side things into the middle.  :)

Quoting Rushn311:

Quoting the3Rs:

Quoting Rushn311:

Quoting the3Rs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN