Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need a new base

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:03 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 476 Total Views

Ok I am wanting to redo the stone platform at the bottom of my fireplace... But I need some help. I am stuck at ideas to do. I do not want to do any demolition but rather cover it up. It is not a flat surface it is rock that is polyurithaned (sp) I believe...

The whole fireplace area is going to be getting a makeover but I am stuck with the base as what to do...

HELP, lol

by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Maddies_mom101
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

what about smoothing it out  and titling it

sweetleanne
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I agree, it needs to be a smooth base,

Quoting Maddies_mom101:

what about smoothing it out  and titling it

sportsmomma45
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM

What product do I use to do that?

And what is titling?

Maddies_mom101
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

you should be able to fill in all of the are with some type of grout. Titles like you would title a bathroom take a look at lowes or home depot

pegleg63
by Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sure she mean tiles, not titles.  To make it smooth, you could build a frame around the outside perimeter and then put self leveling cement over the stone.  Put just enough so that you have a smooth surface to now put new tiles onto.  A home improvement store might be able to tell you if this is possible. I do believe there is a product you can put onto the existing stone to get the new concrete to bond with the stone better.  If your stone has polyurethane on it though, not sure how that would affect it.

Quoting Maddies_mom101:

you should be able to fill in all of the are with some type of grout. Titles like you would title a bathroom take a look at lowes or home depot

Maddies_mom101
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM

yes tiles...... Its been a LONG day im lucky my head is still attached  :)

I bet she could also sand down the stone as well

Quoting pegleg63:

I am sure she mean tiles, not titles.  To make it smooth, you could build a frame around the outside perimeter and then put self leveling cement over the stone.  Put just enough so that you have a smooth surface to now put new tiles onto.  A home improvement store might be able to tell you if this is possible. I do believe there is a product you can put onto the existing stone to get the new concrete to bond with the stone better.  If your stone has polyurethane on it though, not sure how that would affect it.

Quoting Maddies_mom101:

campeno
by Admin on Jan. 18, 2012 at 6:00 AM
A new slate base would look amazing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sportsmomma45
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM

LOL, Tile make so much more sense to me that Titling.. I have those kind of days too, haha...

Thank you ladies.

Hubby said he did not want to have to remove the stove so here is my idea, do you mind giving me your opinoin.  I thought of building a frame around the front edge. Then laying down moartor (sp) and putting river rocks down... It would be about the easiest concept I could come up with without moving the stove.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)